GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ford is very very bad at keeping secrets. The full body of the Maverick pickup has been leaked online.

The design reveals surprising similarities to the 2021 F-150, particularly around the fenders.

https://www.motor1.com/news/458839/2022-ford-maverick-bare-metal/

My info says Maverick will be offered in XL, XLT, and Lariat trim levels with a 2.5L Hybrid available and PowerBoost (presumably a "Pro Power" generator like F-150 is optional). 1.5L I3 and 2.0L also available, FWD standard with AWD optional. It's a "White Space" vehicle intended to be one of Ford's new affordable vehicles.

Worth pointing out is that the new North American Ranger (due 2023/4) is also available as a Hybrid with PowerBoost (2.7L btw). Ford electrifying all of it's pickups in some way, possibly with onboard generators being a big draw for them. Transit BEV also has Pro Power.

Maverick could be a big deal for Ford as a segment buster.

I'm surprised by how well this is turning out, I didn't think they could make a normal looking truck in this segment.

· Registered
4,647 Posts
I used to see a ton of the old small Rangers on the roads around here. I could see this filling that niche.

· Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,850 Posts
hopefully NOT as the ridgeline as almost "fullsize" and LARGER than the RANGER
this NEEDS to be a LOT smaller
The article talks about it being a bit smaller than the Ranger. As an affordable vehicle, I'm assuming a bit less than the Ranger in price too. Sounds like a good combination to me.

I'm hoping this sells well so they release a extended cab version with longer bed later...

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Ridgeline is based on a Honda Pilot, it would be like Ford basing the Ranger on the Explorer. It's a larger premium pickup, still very unique in the segment, but ultimately a niche.

Maverick is quite a bit smaller than the Ranger, it looks bigger than it is. It's lower and narrower. There are some photos which reveal this.

A unibody design should be more space efficient however so it's easier to get comparable interior space to Ranger.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
It is the right sized vehicle but driving the wrong wheels (for me).
I am interested. The Ranger is big (and if I am not mistaken, this iteration is to undergo a redesign, last time I read).

If I have to pay out for a car, it has to have utlility and a good driving experience. With a manual this can be a kick to drive

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't think Ford has mentioned price targets, but Ford did describe the Maverick (or "White Space" vehicle) as one of their new affordable products. Originally Ford did have a companion SUV for the Maverick arriving a year or two later, but development apparently stopped. Presumably that would have been a more economical utility as well. That would probably clash with Bronco Sport however.

Escape, Bronco Sport, Maverick have got to be enough compact utility for any automaker.

· Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Bronco Sport with AWD, various amenities, and brand value certainly contributes to its higher base price. A FWD stripped down version of the Bronco Sport or Maverick could probably get the starting price down to $22-24K-ish, which is close enough to covering the EcoSport space. The Maverick has a better opportunity to get the price down however without turning into a bland commodity, I can't imagine Ford resorting to de-contenting the Bronco to cover the bottom-end. I also can't imagine Ford developing yet another utility to get the price down a few thousand below the Sport and Escape.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.