GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Meh. I like mine. I'd be nervous to use it as a "utility vehicle", bringing stuff home from home improvement stores and what not if the interior was a leather swaddled-soft touch everything cocoon that could get torn/scratched/stained. I think it's fine for the vehicles intended purpose. Sub-rental grade garbage is a bit rough. I mean, it's not like car interiors are secrets until you buy them. If you weren't impressed with the interior, why buy it?
Luxurious interior wasn't on my list of priorities...at the time I needed something big, fullsized or damn near, and I didn't want to spend $70k on a Yukon...The Traverse looked bland, and the Acadia was too small....the HK twins weren't out so It was either the Enclave...or the smaller Pilot and Atlas...the Buick won out because the exterior styling was much better. Looked rich while not being rich. I'm not going to lie to myself and say it's something it isn't...its an okay crossover that just so happens to be gigantic compared to everything else.

But yeah, the enclave has some issues on the inside...i.e. rental grade...the leather on my steering wheel hub is peeling...not enough glue apparently and there's some small scuffing on the leather seats. But it is what it is. Like I've said many times...GM builds cars like Janky house flippers...they'll pass initial muster, but it'll wear on you over time.

1.5 more years till its paid off then its on to a fullsizer.

·
Premium Member
35,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The Terrain I rented was a mix of nice material and cheap materials. It was a little jarring.
I was more concerned about the inept ergonomics.... and the slow reacting auto-highbeams.
It's still a solid "B" interior.
You drive what? A Mercedes E Class? Of course a pedestrian vehicle like a Terrain is going to be cheap materials.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,501 Posts
The Terrain I rented was a mix of nice material and cheap materials. It was a little jarring.
I was more concerned about the inept ergonomics.... and the slow reacting auto-highbeams.
It's still a solid "B" interior.
You mention one thing I am getting quite annoyed with at times. The auto high beam Intellibeam system constantly going back and forth in short order depending on conditions and what it senses. IMO this setup is a FAIL. Maybe I should consult my owners manual to see if there are adjustments ;) Edit: One thing I miss as colder weather finally came, my Rogue's EZ Fill tire pressure feature :(.

·
Registered
44,438 Posts
You mention one thing I am getting quite annoyed with at times. The auto high beam Intellibeam system constantly going back and forth in short order depending on conditions and what it senses. IMO this setup is a FAIL. Maybe I should consult my owners manual to see if there are adjustments ;) Edit: One thing I miss as colder weather finally came, my Rogue's EZ Fill tire pressure feature :(.
My issue is that the IntelliBeam system reacted slower than I’m used to when I rented the Terrain.
It felt like when there were headlights on-coming, there would be at least a full second delay before the car switched back to low beams. The Audi’s I’m used to felt instantaneous.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,501 Posts
My issue is that the IntelliBeam system reacted slower than I’m used to when I rented the Terrain.
It felt like when there were headlights on-coming, there would be at least a full second delay before the car switched back to low beams. The Audi’s I’m used to felt instantaneous.
I've noticed that too. Just enough time for the oncoming car to be aggravated and give you the obligatory momentary brights flash to "wake you up".

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
Did GM take away the horn honk from the TMPS???

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
Well it sure didn't do it the other morning when I aired up the tires because it got cold and triggered the TPMS system. Ha, and I even got an email notice that my tires were "low".
Page 318 of the owners manual.

Tire Fill Alert (If Equipped) This feature provides visual and audible alerts outside the vehicle to help when inflating an underinflated tire to the recommended cold tire pressure.
When the low tire pressure warning light comes on:
1. Park the vehicle in a safe, level place.
2. Set the parking brake firmly.
3. Place the vehicle in P (Park).
4. Add air to the tire that is underinflated. The turn signal lamp will flash. When the recommended pressure is reached, the horn sounds once and the turn signal lamp will stop flashing and briefly turn solid.
It should start automatically BUT....you have to have a low tire for the system to activate. So, if it's just a little low it wont work. It has to trip the TPMS low air fault.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,398 Posts
Meanwhile, in China, you can get a Nox with optional 10in infotainment and 48V mild hybrid system and the 2.0T is still available. Any chance of this stuff for 2023 here in the US of A?

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/11/mild-hybrid-2022-chevy-equinox-introduced-in-china/

·
Registered
44,438 Posts
Meanwhile, in China, you can get a Nox with optional 10in infotainment and 48V mild hybrid system and the 2.0T is still available. Any chance of this stuff for 2023 here in the US of A?

gm authority dot com/blog/2021/11/mild-hybrid-2022-chevy-equinox-introduced-in-china/

I swear it's because GM doesn't believe its American customer base would find those features worthwhile.
China always seems to get the better features and products. I mean, look at Buick.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I swear it's because GM doesn't believe its American customer base would find those features worthwhile.
China always seems to get the better features and products. I mean, look at Buick.
I heard the Equinox is gone/replaced by 2024. Would have been a great way to keep the Voltec powertrain going....and by that I mean the mild hybrid could have been an Equinox version of the Malibu Hybrid or just use the Volt drivetrain and a flat battery in a FWD platform since most of them never see anything beyond the mall parking lot and are mostly commuter cars. Even an AWD-E version would've been cool.

·
Registered
19,347 Posts
I'd be curious to know what GM's reasoning is. They are not offering hybrids in the USA for a reason. Is it simply the Chinese are more or less forcing it where the USA government isn't and that is part of what GM China's much lower profit margins are telling us? (Yes, I know they don't sell the cash cows - Silverado/Sierra in any material way)

·
Registered
44,438 Posts
I'd be curious to know what GM's reasoning is. They are not offering hybrids in the USA for a reason. Is it simply the Chinese are more or less forcing it where the USA government isn't and that is part of what GM China's much lower profit margins are telling us? (Yes, I know they don't sell the cash cows - Silverado/Sierra in any material way)
The US market doesn't force it. It doesn't stop Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche and others from offering mild hybrid or even plugin hybrid.

What it does show is that GM is still focused on the cash cows rather than everything else. Perhaps that makes sense for GM. But that's the perpetual problem, isn't it? GM has had plugin hybrid technology for some time now, but it's been pushed to the side. I think there's a financial disconnect at GM, since they can't seem to sell them, so they don't bother. But Ford, apparently has no problem selling a similar F150.

This is why I keep saying going EV isn't going to solve GM's problems.

·
Registered
19,347 Posts
The US market doesn't force it. It doesn't stop Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche and others from offering mild hybrid or even plugin hybrid.

What it does show is that GM is still focused on the cash cows rather than everything else. Perhaps that makes sense for GM. But that's the perpetual problem, isn't it? GM has had plugin hybrid technology for some time now, but it's been pushed to the side. I think there's a financial disconnect at GM, since they can't seem to sell them, so they don't bother. But Ford, apparently has no problem selling a similar F150.

This is why I keep saying going EV isn't going to solve GM's problems.
They did say they stopped with hybrids to focus on BEV. Obviously most other brands have been able to handle both - I wonder if it speaks to the profitability of hybrids, or lack thereof. Meaning that they could offer hybrids but the investment isn't worth it. GM chose to then ignore the market vs. most other makes going for it. So, to GM it isn't worth it. Certainly has cost them sales... Maybe it contributed to the cohesive approach I'd say GM has to BEV's, but it certainly hasn't given them speed as they are getting beat to market. Just mumbling out loud.

I'll be interested in what GM's new hang ups, if any, we will see with Ultium vehicles. My guess is it will be based on stepping on the toes of other divisions. Seems like for all intents they'll all be the same vehicle, just add an electric motor or two and more or less batteries and distinctive styling. So will they hobble Chevy to force people into Cadillacs?

·
Registered
44,438 Posts
They did say they stopped with hybrids to focus on BEV. Obviously most other brands have been able to handle both - I wonder if it speaks to the profitability of hybrids, or lack thereof. Meaning that they could offer hybrids but the investment isn't worth it. GM chose to then ignore the market vs. most other makes going for it. So, to GM it isn't worth it. Certainly has cost them sales... Maybe it contributed to the cohesive approach I'd say GM has to BEV's, but it certainly hasn't given them speed as they are getting beat to market. Just mumbling out loud.
I don't think GM really believed in hybrids. A lot of that stemmed from Bob Lutz's own opinions about them.
So, GM largely ignored the market. Or they created supposedly "better" hybrid technology (Voltec), only to also abandon that a few years later.
I think it cost GM a lot of customers. It cost GM in their tech and green image. But all that is "goodwill." That's not necessarily reflected on a balance sheet that is largely covered by big SUVs that print cash.

I love their move to BEV. But their lineup and customer base isn't one necessarily geared up for it. Which to me, means they're vulnerable should their BEV strategy fall flat on its face. But if it succeeds, GM will do extremely well.

I'll be interested in what GM's new hang ups, if any, we will see with Ultium vehicles. My guess is it will be based on stepping on the toes of other divisions. Seems like for all intents they'll all be the same vehicle, just add an electric motor or two and more or less batteries and distinctive styling. So will they hobble Chevy to force people into Cadillacs?
It's a branding and image exercise.
Cadillac needs to stand on its own, and its leaders need to quit worrying about what Chevy is doing. Their customers shouldn't really cross paths.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I heard the Equinox is gone/replaced by 2024. Would have been a great way to keep the Voltec powertrain going....and by that I mean the mild hybrid could have been an Equinox version of the Malibu Hybrid or just use the Volt drivetrain and a flat battery in a FWD platform since most of them never see anything beyond the mall parking lot and are mostly commuter cars. Even an AWD-E version would've been cool.
Some of have their sources. This is mine.

·
Registered
21,377 Posts

GM wants Tesla to get a foot-hold on the US market, doing the same thing Toyota is, maybe they own $TSLA stock?
(hope they sold!..........)

Some of have their sources. This is mine.
Link; no-work......

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
GM wants Tesla to get a foot-hold on the US market, doing the same thing Toyota is, maybe they own $TSLA stock?
(hope they sold!..........)

Link; no-work......
G-M-A-U-T-H-O-R-I-T-Y.COM /blog/2021/11/all-new-next-gen-chevy-equinox-potentially-spied-for-first-time/

61 - 80 of 80 Posts