GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Geez. I guess you don't work for a "tech company." Just hard to imagine NOT having internet at home this day in age. But I guess if you have a smartphone, you really don't need to have internet or a home computer.

But then again, how does one do their taxes without a home computer? Do they do them at work? Or use an accountant?

I get having desktops for custom setups for support or engineering. Most laptops can't drive 4 monitors.

I'm just happy with my MacBook Pro 16. I use a Portal for my work VC calls, which is a little complicated and gets stupid when people decide to share their screen. My iPad has a bigger screen than the Portal. haha
Internet can be a distraction from life

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Geez. I guess you don't work for a "tech company." Just hard to imagine NOT having internet at home this day in age. But I guess if you have a smartphone, you really don't need to have internet or a home computer.

But then again, how does one do their taxes without a home computer? Do they do them at work? Or use an accountant?

I get having desktops for custom setups for support or engineering. Most laptops can't drive 4 monitors.

I'm just happy with my MacBook Pro 16. I use a Portal for my work VC calls, which is a little complicated and gets stupid when people decide to share their screen. My iPad has a bigger screen than the Portal. haha
Nope insurance company. FWIW I had a little help with setting up our new HQ in Daytona Beach and the new HQ is a very high tech bulding built from the ground up. Our CEO spared no expense when building and designing it.

Also I agree with you on taxes and such. I have a desktop at home mostly for gaming and video editing. But when it comes time for serious purchases or serious shopping I don't know how people do it on a phone I need my multiple monitors to compare specs and prices. Same with large spreadsheets

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just picked up a 2021 Equinox lease. The mpg is incredible. It’s way better than the ratings. Combined 50/50 city highway ive been averaging just under 37 mpg (fwd 1.5 liter).

·
Registered
44,286 Posts
Nope insurance company. FWIW I had a little help with setting up our new HQ in Daytona Beach and the new HQ is a very high tech bulding built from the ground up. Our CEO spared no expense when building and designing it.
OK. I figured either insurance or financial services. Desktops are probably "better" for those industries, or at least in some divisions.
Pretty cool tho to move into a new building like that.
My company just "refreshed" the entire campus with new paint and furniture for a September RTO.... but now it's January. While there are a few people on campus (it's a very large campus) and vaccines are mandatory, there have been some breakthrough infections. They then evacuate campus and deep clean it.

Meanwhile, I've never actually been on campus. LOL

Also I agree with you on taxes and such. I have a desktop at home mostly for gaming and video editing. But when it comes time for serious purchases or serious shopping I don't know how people do it on a phone I need my multiple monitors to compare specs and prices. Same with large spreadsheets
Yeah. Same here. But my home setup is MacBookPro + 32" widescreen or iMac + 32" widescreen. I just flip the switch on the monitor to extend whatever system I want using the external screen. 1 USBC cable for power and display for the MacBookPro. And an HDMI from iMac to screen. Very simple and convenient setup, especially the last 1.5 years WFH. lol
Printer is wireless. I have a Eero WiFi6 Pro router to give me a fast internal wireless network to take advantage of AT&T 1000 fiber.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
I just picked up a 2021 Equinox lease. The mpg is incredible. It’s way better than the ratings. Combined 50/50 city highway ive been averaging just under 37 mpg (fwd 1.5 liter).
37 MPG in mixed driving; all downhill I presume?

Yes the diesel can get as much as 60 mpg's on the highway.
Amazing, you drive on the same roads as elderon, or maybe the same math teacher in school?

·
Premium Member
34,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yes the diesel can get as much as 60 mpg's on the highway.
according to Motortrend and TFL, GM's trip computers and speedometers are the most accurate in the industry. When a Chevrolet tells you that you are travelling at 60 MPH, you are travelling at 60 MPH, with Vbox, and the gasoline thing loop is fill drive, refill and the do the math. almost always to the penny, the trip computer of a GM vehicle will give you the exact mileage, off by decimal points.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
according to Motortrend and TFL, GM's trip computers and speedometers are the most accurate in the industry. When a Chevrolet tells you that you are travelling at 60 MPH, you are travelling at 60 MPH, with Vbox, and the gasoline thing loop is fill drive, refill and the do the math. almost always to the penny, the trip computer of a GM vehicle will give you the exact mileage, off by decimal points.
Do you think this guy is getting 60 MPG on his trip computer, or just bad at math?

FWIW; On my big road-trip this summer, computer said I got 23 MPG, pen & paper was 22 MPG.
(one fill at 22.5 and one fill at 21.5)

·
Registered
102 Posts
37 MPG in mixed driving; all downhill I presume?

Amazing, you drive on the same roads as elderon, or maybe the same math teacher in school?
My trip computer says 35-37 mpg, my pen/paper says 33-35mpg so if it's off, it's not by much. Mine is a FWD LS btw, close to the lightest trim. I drive 44 miles round trip, nothing over 58 mph (in a 55 mph zone), all flat, no hills. I imagine it will drop here pretty soon due to the temperatures, but I'm pleased so far (although not as pleased as NOT having to use gas like I did before)

·
Premium Member
34,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
A lot of journalists like to bash GM's interiors. Their not the best but far from the worst, I'd take the Equinox's over the RAV4 and CRV"s anyday.
The graphics in the interiors of these Japanese a d screen quality, including software quality and integration is pathetic..

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Equinox interior is sub rental grade garbage.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
The Class leaders interior is no so class leading

I don't know why I give Chevrolet grief about the interior, it seems like its mediocrity galore in the segment
@1958carnut How would you rate the interior of your Rogue vs. Equinox?

I recall the trim and controls on the steering wheel to be very robust and high quality, the silver pieces were solid and didn't come off as thin/cheap plastic even if they may have been.

·
Registered
44,286 Posts
The Terrain I rented was a mix of nice material and cheap materials. It was a little jarring.
I was more concerned about the inept ergonomics.... and the slow reacting auto-highbeams.
It's still a solid "B" interior.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,276 Posts
@1958carnut How would you rate the interior of your Rogue vs. Equinox?

I recall the trim and controls on the steering wheel to be very robust and high quality, the silver pieces were solid and didn't come off as thin/cheap plastic even if they may have been.
The seats are not as comfortable (Nissan Zero Gravity Seats are really something the industry should follow IMO) but the material seems better. The steering wheel controls are a bit cheap, yes. The leather wrapped wheel seems of better quality though. I think there are/is a bit of give and take in the deal between the two. I would like some day to get in a new Rogue and see what I may be missing/could have had? just for the helluvit. But over all I am happy with my decision. I miss my Rogue's EZ Fill tire pressure thing too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Meh. I like mine. I'd be nervous to use it as a "utility vehicle", bringing stuff home from home improvement stores and what not if the interior was a leather swaddled-soft touch everything cocoon that could get torn/scratched/stained. I think it's fine for the vehicles intended purpose. Sub-rental grade garbage is a bit rough. I mean, it's not like car interiors are secrets until you buy them. If you weren't impressed with the interior, why buy it?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts