·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Kia Stinger Previewed With Teeny-Weeny Exterior And Interior Changes
Carscoops
BY BRAD ANDERSON |
AUGUST 11, 2020

This is our first look at the facelifted 2021 Kia Stinger and while it may take a keen eye to notice the changes, the South Korean automaker will hope these alterations drum up some sales in a struggling sedan market.

Up front, Kia has fitted new multifaceted reflector LED headlights with a tweaked design and incorporated LED daytime running lights. These new lights are slightly darker than those of the pre-facelifted Stinger and give the sports sedan a more high-tech light signature.
Few changes have been made to the cabin. The most significant upgrade is the fitment of the automaker’s new 10.25-inch widescreen infotainment and navigation system. Elsewhere, the Stinger receives contrast stitching across the dashboard and doors while the center console is available with aluminum or carbon fiber-style trim. Kia has also fitted a mood lighting system that allows drivers to select one of 64 possible colors. The lower section of the steering wheel also has a metallic finish and there is a chrome bezel around the central 7.0-inch gauge display.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've seen couple of Kia Stinger (outside the car show) here in my country. The price of basic model (245 HP) is almost same as the price of basic Mercedes E class here. And the price of more powerful model (3.3 T) cost as much as E class 450 4matic, so i'm not surprise that sale numbers are very small. But not a bad looking car IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,395 Posts
Wait for a clearance if you want one - Have seen huge cash credits on these. They are very slow sellers.

·
Registered
19,657 Posts
If I recall, when the Stinger came there were a lot of comments on GMI about how stupid GM is for abandoning this segment, inferring the Stinger will sell like hotcakes and ensure a loyal customer base for decades to come, spurring tons of sales of other Kia's from its halo effect. While we all like sport vehicles on GMI, the reality is that cars like this are now owned by luxury makes and is otherwise a declining market for mainstream brands. I think all the market action for mainstream brand image vehicles now resides in sport trucks like the Wrangler, Bronco, Raptor, GMC AT, etc.. Sad, but the more I see, true.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm waiting for used GT Stinger's to depreciate enough to become a solid RWD value to replace my aging G8 GT that's beginning to become costly to maintain.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would feel bad if they axed it. Simply because it looks 10x better than other Korean designs American journalists are paid to get excited about (ugly Palisade, Sonata, awkard Teluride, KIA K5 etc.) There are some flaws though. That interior while looking good on pictures, left me unimpressed in real-life. As mentioned here, the pricing might be the problem.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Wait for a clearance if you want one - Have seen huge cash credits on these. They are very slow sellers.
Selling about as well as the A5 Sportback and much better than the 4 Series GC (granted, a new model is due).

Also vastly outsells the Arteon.

Awesome car...held back by badge
If that were entirely so (yeah, has some effect), it wouldn't be outselling the G70 and IS - which are sedans and not the more niche fastback bodystyle.

Over in Germany, the Stinger was outselling the entire combined RWD Lexus and Infiniti lineups (and by a good margin) despite not having a hybrid option.

And the price....

Most wont pay overs for a KIA
If that were so, the more expensive TTV6 wouldn't be the one that sells.

In Australia and Canada, pretty much only the TTV6 sells (the T4 was discontinued in Canada and may be for Australia).

If I'm paying BMW money, I want a BMW, not a KIA! Same thing happened with the Pontiac GTO/Chevy SS (plus lack of advertising, etc).
But you're not.

The Stinger is many thousands less than a comparably equipped 4 Series GC.

The one thing that BMW and MB have over others (including Audi, Genesis and Lexus) are lease deals that the others can't match, esp. for the 3 Series and C Class.

Someone at Kia messed up; the images they released for the front shows the original headlight design and not of the FL (which is a step back).

·
Registered
468 Posts
I test drove a 2020 V6 Stinger rear-drive and a 2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack widebody. I bought the Charger. However, the Stinger handled better, and has a nicer interior. Our particular Hyundai-Kia dealership is convinced that Kia competes with BMW, and since they can get BMW money for a Telluride--they tried to charge my wife 15K over sticker (yes, 15K over sticker)--they can get BMW money for the Stinger also. They only wanted 2K over sticker in my case. Aside from that, the Kia badge turns me off, especially in association with the local radio jingle: we wanna seeya in a keeya! That says econo-box to me, not a BMW (or Dodge) competitor. Like I told the dealer, if you can get BMW money for a Kia, you should definitely sell it for that. I pity the fool who pays it, however.

·
Premium Member
36,400 Posts
I test drove a 2020 V6 Stinger rear-drive and a 2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack widebody. I bought the Charger. However, the Stinger handled better, and has a nicer interior. Our particular Hyundai-Kia dealership is convinced that Kia competes with BMW, and since they can get BMW money for a Telluride--they tried to charge my wife 15K over sticker (yes, 15K over sticker)--they can get BMW money for the Stinger also. They only wanted 2K over sticker in my case. Aside from that, the Kia badge turns me off, especially in association with the local radio jingle: we wanna seeya in a keeya! That says econo-box to me, not a BMW (or Dodge) competitor. Like I told the dealer, if you can get BMW money for a Kia, you should definitely sell it for that. I pity the fool who pays it, however.
15 Grand OVER sticker? Someone is insane.

·
Premium Member
11,408 Posts
Just to add some context here, mid and upper trims of Explorer are about $8k-$10K more
than upper trims in the Kia Telluride, much has been said about the keen pricing of Telluride.
That dealership trying to charge $15K over sticker needs a dose of reality.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,767 Posts
I saw two of these today, One in traffic in town and another in a parking lot at a store, and got a good look at the parked one. I'll say this about them: I wouldn't mind being stung ( ;) and not by that 15K markup shyster kind of thing ;) ).

·
Premium Member
36,400 Posts
Just to add some context here, mid and upper trims of Explorer are about $8k-$10K more
than upper trims in the Kia Telluride, much has been said about the keen pricing of Telluride.
That dealership trying to charge $15K over sticker needs a dose of reality.
I'd guess the dose of reality will be zero sales of Tellurides. I can't in my wildest dream or delusion imagine forking over 15 grand that would disappear immediately. :fall:

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,767 Posts
I'd guess the dose of reality will be zero sales of Tellurides. I can't in my wildest dream or delusion imagine forking over 15 grand that would disappear immediately. :fall:
There are some that would actually fork it over. A dealer like this should be scoffed at and then walk promptly out the door.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
This is the car that was supposed to outsell the Camry in Australia and the US. Its been like the Chevrolet SS a sales Dud.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts