GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Chevrolet Blazer RS AWD Review: Set Blazer to Stun
Chevy’s midsize SUV still shuns its off-road heritage for on-road capability.
Greg Fink Author
Mar 16, 2021
MotorTrend.com
2021 Chevrolet Blazer RS AWD 36

Think of the 2021 Chevrolet Blazer as Michael B. Jordan to the original Chevy Blazer's Michael Jordan. Much as the actor and former NBA star share the same basic name but are gifted at different crafts, the new and old Blazers bear the same moniker but feature contrasting talents. Just as we know which Michael Jordan we want to watch perform on the silver screen and which we want to watch drop buckets, we know which Blazer we want to drive on twisting tarmac and which we want to take to the trails.

Admittedly, the 2021 Blazer is no Camaro or Corvette. Still, the midsize SUV is arguably among the most entertaining options in its segment. Well, at least in Blazer RS guise. The $41,995 RS trim forgoes the four-cylinder engines that power its peers—a 193-hp naturally aspirated 2.5-liter in the L and 1LT and a 227-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter in the 2LT, 3LT, and Premier—for a standard 308-hp 3.6-liter V-6 (it's a $500 extra on 2LT, 3LT, and Premier trims). It also includes model-specific features such as specially tuned dampers, a quicker steering ratio, and an available all-wheel-drive system with a torque-vectoring rear end (other AWD Blazers have a simpler system without torque-vectoring). The AWD feature tacks $2,900 onto the bill but brings additional balance and fluidity to the SUV's lateral dynamics.

Thanks to its ability to shuffle power between the left and right rear wheels, as well as the front and rear axles, our test Blazer neatly and neutrally clawed its way through corners in a controlled four-wheel drift as its 20-inch Michelin Tour A/S all-season tires struggled to find grip on Chicago's snow- and ice-covered roads. Turn off the traction and stability control systems and toggle the flimsy-feeling drive mode selector to Sport, and the accelerator pedal's response livens up just enough to allow for the slightest hint of right-pedal-induced oversteer. Switching off AWD and routing the engine's power to the front wheels, however, unleashed a deluge of understeer through turns.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Attachments

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Chevy further hinders the RS trim by limiting it to a single dark color scheme: black with contrasting red stitching and trim on the likes of the leather seats and dashboard.
That's not the first time they made this foolish decision.
The Mk1 Regal GS was also black interior only, a major disappointment in a car I otherwise really liked.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,273 Posts
See very few Blazers on the road locally, XT5 must easily outsell it.

It seems like it should be selling a lot batter. Lack of marketing and higher MSRP may be to blame.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts

It seems like it should be selling a lot batter. Lack of marketing and higher MSRP may be to blame.
What if I were to tell you that it was the other way around...and it wasn't remotely close?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts

I suppose it depends on market. Here in the lowcountry, I've seen only a couple of Blazers ever. XT5s? Everywhere.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I still see more old school blazers then these newer ones around town to be honest. I mean you can't really find any excuses other then the Blazer has been a complete flop so far for gm!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
GM sold 23,243 Blazer's last 1/4 and 94,599 in 2020. Not bad for an expensive new model during covid. GM considers it a huge success.

They also sold 10,950 XT5's last 1/4 and 35,223 in 2020 for those who would like to compare.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I still see more old school blazers then these newer ones around town to be honest. I mean you can't really find any excuses other then the Blazer has been a complete flop so far for gm!
I find it just the opposite. They are all over here. The first 3-4 months not many, but not the case anymore. My neice just got one, a guy down the street just got a black RS, 2-3 others I see on a regular basis in the village. Certainly the eye test and the numbers say it is far from a flop.

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
Showed my better half the red blazer rs photos and told her it was the new corvette cuv...she was all in and wanted one ....Soon as I said chevy blazer...it was a big fat no...

Women.....go figure...

GM headquarted in the mid west doesnt get the girls on the coasts mentality or irrational thought...

Big money to be made if GM marketing ever catches on.

Tear open the big segment GM isnt reaching at all...

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,224 Posts
Showed my better half the red blazer rs photos and told her it was the new corvette cuv...she was all in and wanted one ....Soon as I said chevy blazer...it was a big fat no...
In defense of your better half, maybe she assumed that a Vette CUV would come with a stonkin' V8 and fantastic speed/handling kind of like a Lambo Urus? The 3.6L in the Blazer is fine, but it ain't no V8 Vette...

·
Registered
15 Posts
People seem to get way too hung up on names.

Scottieeeee has it absolutely right, very few people buying the new Blazer, have any knowledge of what the original Blazer was. Scottieeeee described my daughter-in-law and niece perfectly (right down to the 2 kids each), they both drive new Blazers, and love them! People stop them all the time, telling them how much they like their Blazers. I didn't care for the look of the Blazer, in the first pictures of it, but once I saw it in person, I liked it.

A close friend of mine is a Chevy salesman (my daughter-in-law & niece both got their Blazers from him), and he says they're selling quite well. The Blazer is easily outselling the XT5, but it's not hard to figure out why it appears there are more XT5's on the road. There are, they've been around longer. The XT5 has been in production since spring 2016, while the Blazer has only been on the road for about 26 months. XT5 sales numbered about 250K through 2020, while the Blazer has sold about 150K in just 2 years. The XT5 is getting old, and it's sales have been steadily declining, to the point where they are now selling only half as many as they did in 2016. The total number of Blazers on the road should match or surpass the XT5, by the end of the 2021 model year.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,166 Posts

Scottieeeee has it absolutely right, very few people buying the new Blazer, have any knowledge of what the original Blazer was. Scottieeeee described my daughter-in-law and niece perfectly (right down to the 2 kids each), they both drive new Blazers, and love them! People stop them all the time, telling them how much they like their Blazers. I didn't care for the look of the Blazer, in the first pictures of it, but once I saw it in person, I liked it.

A close friend of mine is a Chevy salesman (my daughter-in-law & niece both got their Blazers from him), and he says they're selling quite well. The Blazer is easily outselling the XT5, but it's not hard to figure out why it appears there are more XT5's on the road. There are, they've been around longer. The XT5 has been in production since spring 2016, while the Blazer has only been on the road for about 26 months. XT5 sales numbered about 250K through 2020, while the Blazer has sold about 150K in just 2 years. The XT5 is getting old, and it's sales have been steadily declining, to the point where they are now selling only half as many as they did in 2016. The total number of Blazers on the road should match or surpass the XT5, by the end of the 2021 model year.
I think that last part says more about Cadillac and their styling trend of "Art & Science" more than anything else.

·
Registered
17,516 Posts

Women.....go figure...

GM headquarted in the mid west doesnt get the girls on the coasts mentality or irrational thought...

Big money to be made if GM marketing ever catches on.

Tear open the big segment GM isnt reaching at all...
The time is right for a Corvette CUV with a very high quality interior.

My wife was interested in the Blazer until she saw the interior. "Cheap" was her description....

·
Registered
17,516 Posts

Plus, the XT5 costs a lot more, if the Blazer didn't outsell the XT5 I'd think it would be a major indication of a problem.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think that last part says more about Cadillac and their styling trend of "Art & Science" more than anything else.
I don’t see a problem w the styling...after 5 years it’s just not fresh. Many consumers don’t want a car they’ve seen in traffic for years. But I’d say the majority of xt5 buyers are repeat customers and nothing wrong w loyalty on a model that’s past it’s freshness date

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,166 Posts
I don’t see a problem w the styling...after 5 years it’s just not fresh. Many consumers don’t want a car they’ve seen in traffic for years. But I’d say the majority of xt5 buyers are repeat customers and nothing wrong w loyalty on a model that’s past it’s freshness date
So, in other words we only need fresh Art & Science huh? Me goes Meh. 😕

1 - 20 of 37 Posts