GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Cadillac Escalade Diesel Fuel Economy Ratings Announced
https://cadillacsociety.com/2020/11/17/2021-cadillac-escalade-diesel-fuel-economy-ratings-announced/

November 17, 2020
Jonathan Lopez

Per the official EPA website, 2021 Cadillac Escalade models equipped with 2WD and the new 3.0L I6 turbodiesel engine (production code LM2) are rated at 21 mpg in the city, 27 mpg on the highway, and 23 mpg combined, with an estimated annual fuel cost of $1,550.

By contrast, 2021 Cadillac Escalade models equipped with the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 gas engine (production code L87) and 2WD are rated at 15 mpg in the city, 20 mpg on the highway, and 17 mpg combined, with an estimated annual fuel cost of $2,450 – a significant difference compared to the new diesel engine option.

More at link

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
How much more expensive is the diesel engine over the base engine for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? If you are potentially saving $1000 a year, but it is a $10k option, it isn't worth it (unless you plan on driving the vehicle into the ground).

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,631 Posts
How much more expensive is the diesel engine over the base engine for the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade? If you are potentially saving $1000 a year, but it is a $10k option, it isn't worth it (unless you plan on driving the vehicle into the ground).
For Escalade, $0. Not sure about Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For Escalade, $0. Not sure about Tahoe, Suburban, or Yukon.

I believe the same money buys you the 6.2 or the 3.0 TD. You chose what is most important I guess.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I wonder how many buyers will opt for the diesel even at $0? I bet rancher types will go for it, but city folks might not want to deal with it. Cost of ownership isn't a big concern for Escalade buyers, so why would they care?

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
I wonder how many buyers will opt for the diesel even at $0? I bet rancher types will go for it, but city folks might not want to deal with it. Cost of ownership isn't a big concern for Escalade buyers, so why would they care?
Depends on how often they want to stop for fuel. Diesel for city folks can probably go 3-3.5 weeks without stopping while with the 6.2 it'll be almost two times as much.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,631 Posts
Depends on how often they want to stop for fuel. Diesel for city folks can probably go 3-3.5 weeks without stopping while with the 6.2 it'll be almost two times as much.
Escalade Diesel with SuperCruise is the ultimate road trip vehicle. Long driving range (600+ miles in highway driving), Level 2 autonomous driving capability, top grade luxury, and lots of interior room for the driver, passengers, and their belongings.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
Why is this always an argument with diesel? Why isn't it an argument with the 5.3 and 6.2 in the trucks?

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
The diesel is considerably under-powered at 277 bhp / 623 Nm for around 2640 kg kerb weight, the penalty of using a 3.0 I6

My VW Touareg TDi has a 3.0 V6 with 262 bhp for 2185 kg but isn't in the luxury class, which use bi-turbo 4.0 V8 diesels giving 435 bhp / 900 Nm - that's the competition for Cadillac.

This is simply the wrong diesel engine for an Escalade.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
The diesel is considerably under-powered at 277 bhp / 623 Nm for around 2640 kg kerb weight, the penalty of using a 3.0 I6

My VW Touareg TDi has a 3.0 V6 with 262 bhp for 2185 kg but isn't in the luxury class, which use bi-turbo 4.0 V8 diesels giving 435 bhp / 900 Nm - that's the competition for Cadillac.

This is simply the wrong diesel engine for an Escalade.
I agree

The inline 6 is brilliant and powerful in a Silverado - would be a sensation in the Colorado - but in the Caddy it should be a v8 of ~4-5 litres with more impressive numbers

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
This really only makes sense for Livery and the odd Farmer/Rancher who's used to diesel and may even have their own diesel tanks. I don't no anybody who would want a diesel in an Escalade. In an AT4? Maybe. But not an Escalade.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Why is this always an argument with diesel? Why isn't it an argument with the 5.3 and 6.2 in the trucks?
It can be an arguement for the trucks as well, however most people buy the Duramax in the trucks because they need the towing capabilities it provides over the gas engines. That is not the case for the Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon, where it is more for purely gas mileage and not towing.

·
Registered
18,245 Posts
It can be an arguement for the trucks as well, however most people buy the Duramax in the trucks because they need the towing capabilities it provides over the gas engines. That is not the case for the Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon, where it is more for purely gas mileage and not towing.
Huh? The 3.0 diesel is available in the trucks as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take some time to think about the fuel consumption ratings of a CT6-based SUV that would have been fitted with this engine. Or the CT6 with this engine option.

With probably 900 pounds lighter and better aerodynamics the ratings would have been incredibly good for vehicles of this size.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts