GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I was about to defend C/D because they usually like GM's sedans...but damn do we really need to start off another article about a compact Caddy recalling the Cimarron? That was edgy in 2012 when the ATS came out, now its just tired.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Oh Bwoy, this online rag is really anti GM. What is refinement?
"Unfortunately, this large four-cylinder idles with the clatter of a diesel and is alarmingly boomy through the top half of the tachometer. And it sounds like John Deere—not John Force—tuned the exhaust system. Despite a noise-cancellation system and Cadillac "enhancing" the engine's sounds through the audio speakers, it's more noise than note. Sound enhancement is paired with the vehicle settings. Tour is the default, Sport is nearly unbearable, and then there's Stealth. You want Stealth. Or earplugs."

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"Unfortunately, this large four-cylinder idles with the clatter of a diesel and is alarmingly boomy through the top half of the tachometer. And it sounds like John Deere—not John Force—tuned the exhaust system. Despite a noise-cancellation system and Cadillac "enhancing" the engine's sounds through the audio speakers, it's more noise than note. Sound enhancement is paired with the vehicle settings. Tour is the default, Sport is nearly unbearable, and then there's Stealth. You want Stealth. Or earplugs."
Ya - not good

damn do we really need to start off another article about a compact Caddy recalling the Cimarron?
I hate this. So irrelevant.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,201 Posts
Anyone out there drive a 2.7T CT4? BlackGTP? Did the idle sound like “diesel clatter”? Was Sport “unbearable”?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Seems like every car that doesn't wear a V or VSport badge gets trashed by reviewers...maybe Cadillac should resort to only selling V cars or only providing V cars for reviewing. I mean, you don't see dodge lending out 3.6 chargers and challengers for review, those cars suck, Cadillac needs to change the narrative, only put out what they want people to see/hear about...let the lower models ride on the coattails of the higher performance models instead of having to have the higher performance models redeem the whole line because the lower cars got trashed.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,480 Posts
Seems like every car that doesn't wear a V or VSport badge gets trashed by reviewers...maybe Cadillac should resort to only selling V cars or only providing V cars for reviewing.
That, or make the MRC 4.0 suspension an option on non-V models. For MY 2021, Cadillac is actually doing this for CT5 Sport. While that model still suffers from the unrefined, underpowered 2.0L LSY engine, the availability of MRC 4.0 + FE3 suspension should address the complaints about the base suspension tune being too soft.

2021 CT5 Sport with MRC may be the best handling variant due to lower mass over the front wheels compared to CT5-V.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
That, or make the MRC 4.0 suspension an option on non-V models. For MY 2021, Cadillac is actually doing this for CT5 Sport. While that model still suffers from the unrefined, underpowered 2.0L LSY engine, the availability of MRC 4.0 + FE3 suspension should address the complaints about the base suspension tune being too soft.

2021 CT5 Sport with MRC may be the best handling variant due to lower mass over the front wheels compared to CT5-V.
That'll be a start, but that "new" 2.0 is garbage IMO...millions of dev $s to rework it for what? 50 less hp, 25 less tq, and slightly better MPGs w/ a negligible difference in NVH. C'mon, its almost like they want the two to fail.

·
Premium Member
33,545 Posts

If I was Cadillac marketing, non of these rags would ever get my vehicles to review, they would have to go buy one

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Seems like every car that doesn't wear a V or VSport badge gets trashed by reviewers...maybe Cadillac should resort to only selling V cars or only providing V cars for reviewing. I mean, you don't see dodge lending out 3.6 chargers and challengers for review, those cars suck, Cadillac needs to change the narrative, only put out what they want people to see/hear about...let the lower models ride on the coattails of the higher performance models instead of having to have the higher performance models redeem the whole line because the lower cars got trashed.

But the 550T got strong reviews. There’s an autoblog review of the 450T it has its compliments and complaints reversed from the Car and Driver review.

Car and Driver liked the interior, autoblog hated it (weird because autoblog also praised the same interior in the review of the CT4-V). Car and driver hated the driving dynamics, Autoblog loved the driving dynamics.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/09/2020-cadillac-ct4-first-drive/

Then, Barrons loved it all:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-2020-cadillac-ct4-is-entry-level-luxury-01593619779

All the talk about torque won’t amount to much if the car doesn’t offer a positive driving experience, but in a brief one-day trial, it definitely did. With the 2.7T on board, it yielded world-class acceleration, and yet was very quiet on the highway (where Super Cruise will definitely be appreciated). The CT4, on Continental summer tires, handled extremely well, with some minor sacrifice to a harder-than-normal ride. Opt for the CT4-V and the package includes such performance amenities as the fourth generation of magnetic ride control, a limited-slip rear, performance-traction management and unique chassis tuning.

The cabin is a very nice place to be. The $8,375 spent on options secured the 14-speaker Bose audio and navigation, a climate package with heated and (appreciated) cooled leather seats, heads-up display, and a safety suite. The audio system was simple to use and connect, and it sounded good pumped up. Rear legroom won’t be great if your driver is tall. Fuel economy as tested was so-so, at 24 miles per gallon combined (20 city/30 highway). Photo Captions:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am also curious about the criticism of the refinement of the 2.7T in this application. In the V, which is a higher tuned variant, I saw no such complaints.

Reactions: eklauss and Tethys

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,480 Posts
I am also curious about the criticism of the refinement of the 2.7T in this application. In the V, which is a higher tuned variant, I saw no such complaints.
I think the CT4-V engine sound enhancement options are programmed differently compared to CT4 Premium Luxury 450T. Though even in the CT4-V the 2.7L engine elicited mild criticism about refinement, such as this comment from Motor Trend:

Motor Trend said:
"...this 2.7-liter nevertheless ends up sounding a bit coarser than the 2.0-liters powering its competitors."

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
But the 550T got strong reviews. There’s an autoblog review of the 450T it has its compliments and complaints reversed from the Car and Driver review.

Car and Driver liked the interior, autoblog hated it (weird because autoblog also praised the same interior in the review of the CT4-V). Car and driver hated the driving dynamics, Autoblog loved the driving dynamics.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/the-2020-cadillac-ct4-is-entry-level-luxury-01593619779
That's all fine and good but TB100%H I kinda threw that whole barons article out when they referred to a the XT4/5/6 as off roaders and when they referred to the 450Ts low 5, high 13s acceleration as world class. Anyone with the slightest hint of knowledge wouldn't call a FWD lactation transport system an offroader nor would they call 5s to 60 or 13.8 1/4 "world class".

One thing to note is that almost everyone thinks that the rear of the CT4 looks weird....glad I'm not the only one, thought I was going crazy for a sec.

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Problem with sport luxury is there are many reviewers who judge everything compared to BMW and then pick BMW every time.

It's a no win ever with those guys.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
^^^Are they wrong for taking the BMW every time? For example the CT4-V in the Barron's article rang in w/ an as tested price of 54,000 +/-....for another 2 grand you can get into a M340i which will be faster to 60 by over a second, handle better, have more seat space, and even with AWD will not have a dorky ride height. Sure, the CT4 looks like a bargain when compared to the 235 Grand Coupe by offering a lot more in terms of dynamics for a little bit more, but it's value falls flat on its face when compared to the M340 which gets you a whole lot more but for a little bit more on the price.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Problem with sport luxury is there are many reviewers who judge everything compared to BMW and then pick BMW every time.

It's a no win ever with those guys.
Well, when I read the Car and Driver review I honestly thought: well, you might not like the chassis tuning, but it sounds EXACTLY like what Cadillac was going for with the 450T. They weren’t trying to make a detuned CT4-V. They know there are lots of buyers who prefer more comfort than the V-Series would provide, while wanting more power than the 350T. And car mag jocks just don’t have the vantage point to understand that.

I remind people of Siskel and Ebert’s maxim for how to review movies: you judge a movie based on what it is supposed to be not what you want it to be. You don’t judge a screwball comedy, for example, by how much it meets the standard of an Oscar contending family drama, for example.

Car mag jocks would do well to incorporate that maxim for judging cars. Don’t judge a comfort oriented car for how much it fails at being a performance sedan. The job of being a performance sedan is the job of CT4-V. That’s not the job of the 450T, and that should be assumed because they wouldn’t have bothered with a 450T, in the first place if it were.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts