GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The New York Times
July 24, 2020

Incredibly, Americans bought more station wagons in 2019 than convertibles, whose sales fell to just 102,000 units, said Stephanie Brinley, principal automotive analyst at IHS Markit. Yet faithful automakers still offer nearly 40 models, even as snarled commutes and conformist S.U.V.s threaten to spoil the hair-mussing fun.

“Convertibles still play a role in image for sports and grand touring cars, but consumers have been making more practical choices,” Ms. Brinley said.

In light of the lowly sales, the number of convertible model choices is surprising. American perennials include the ragtop Ford Mustang, a go-to for renters in Florida or Hawaii. General Motors has an open-air Chevrolet Camaro and, after a factory coronavirus delay, is rolling out its midengine Corvette convertible to a backlog of waiting customers. Mercedes-Benz offers the most, with six body styles and a raft of engine and model choices.

“I love a convertible drive on a beautiful summer night, seeing the stars,” he said. “I also love hearing the sound of the V-8. I like to listen to music, but the best music is still the engine.”

Mr. Wagener characterizes convertibles as “more of a show-off car, where you present more of yourself, and you’re more in touch with the environment, less isolated.” But a convertible is far more challenging to design than a coupe, he said, because slicing off the roof can create visual imbalances.

“In design, proportion is everything,” Mr. Wagener said. “But for a convertible, you have to work without a greenhouse, and instead it has like a big tent on top.”

In 1998, Mercedes’s SLK roadster caused a sensation with its then-novel folding hardtop. A trend was born. The idea was that hard-shell roofs would make convertibles quieter, more versatile and more durable against winter elements.

But for these sunniest of conveyances, Mr. Wagener and other designers have seen new light: Retractable hardtops — with notable exceptions like the Ferrari or McLarens — are out. Traditional fabric tops are back in, precisely fitted with multiple insulated layers to keep noise and weather at bay. Most convertible owners store their babies in garages anyway, and avoid driving in rain or snow, Mr. Wagener said.

Retractable hardtops can impress onlookers with origami-like routines as their panels and rear window pivot and stack below a motorized deck lid. But the technology brought its own issues, including oddly shaped rear ends, Rube Goldberg complexity and unsightly seams that break up the lines of the coupe roofs they aim to mimic.

“All that folded sheet metal isn’t in harmony,” Mr. Wagener said. “Fabric is much more luxurious, and gives a couture-fashion aspect.”

A coming Mercedes SL will trade its current metal lid for a cloth roof. BMW’s latest Z4 roadster has also switched back to a fabric roof, and is all the better for it. The new Corvette convertible keeps its hardtop, yet ingenious packaging lets it swallow two sets of golf clubs even with the top folded.

Like Porsche’s stalwart Boxster, the BMW Z4 is the kind of luxury roadster that Miata fans gravitate to as careers and incomes advance. Zipped around the Catskills, the $65,000 Z4 M40i is a summer concoction as bracing and balanced as a perfectly mixed gin and tonic.

As for those visual imbalances, some auto fans find cruel sport in calling out cars that should never have spawned a convertible version. On “The Office,” Steve Carrell’s Michael Scott drove a pair of ragged ragtops, Chrysler’s Sebring and PT Cruiser, that underscored his chest-puffing obliviousness as well as any scripted laugh.

Today’s obvious temptation for automakers is the convertible S.U.V., which Ms. Brinley said sounded great on paper, with an outdoorsy rush and family practicality in one, but has failed to gain traction.

The first brave-yet-bizarre attempt, Nissan’s Murano CrossCabriolet, was sold from 2011 to 2014. The CrossCabrio resembled a lopped-off Humpty Dumpty, bobbing awkwardly above the road. Critics and shoppers smashed it with rare glee. Yet the Nissan is enjoying some nostalgic reassessment, an oddball that draws curious onlookers wherever it goes.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

A great looking car this Camaro convertible, but come on GM - copy the Ford Mustang convertible - and let the customer delete that stupid spoiler in the back.

I've owned three (Saab) convertibles in my life (all with manual transmissions). If you ever get the opportunity...

·
Registered
16,948 Posts
Practicality is in and that doesn't include convertibles.

The article calls out the Sebring convertible. They are right to an extent, it was an awful vehicle in regards to the driving experience itself, but its appeal was in the top down driving and lifestyle, not in driving dynamics. It was affordable and made people who wanted one happy. But, on the same token, how many retail customers bought one vs. the rental fleets? The rental lots were full of them, so my guess is not as many retail customers bought them...

Murano convertible - the Aztec gets unfairly maligned as "the ugliest", but I don't think it looks so bad next to the Murano convertible. Not a good looking vehicle.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If there are fewer of them then that is an appeal. If money were no object I would have bought one. Niche models are convertibles

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The thing that's also a problem with the Wrangler and Bronco is that a convertible doesn't give you any daylight above your head without opening the roof. At least sun/moon/pano roofs can always let the sun shine in. I have a Nautilus (and MANY MKXs before it) and the Vistaroof is nearly impossible to beat.

·
Premium Member
35,497 Posts
Yes station wagons are more popular than convertibles these days. A lot of us are driving them too, because the modern SUV or CUV is really yesterdays station wagon lol.
Bingo. I've been saying that for a while. Just tall wagons. Easyq Buttonq!

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
They're a modern interpretation of the station wagon and something that a lot of buyers clearly want.
Utilities are a twenty year overnight success, the big breakthrough is fuel economy plus they're much
more conducive to hybrid battery storage, an important factor today.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Yes station wagons are more popular than convertibles these days. A lot of us are driving them too, because the modern SUV or CUV is really yesterdays station wagon lol.
Exactly; what do they classify as a station wagon? Regal Tour X comes to mind as a real station wagon, but vehicles like, Subaru Outback and Forester come to mind, Dodge Journey?.............

Reactions: CJH

·
Premium Member
35,497 Posts
I still don't understand how I can't get a car with T-Tops,but I can drive around in my Jeep with the doors off.
Because Jeeps don't ever get hit on the side, therefore you do not need side air bags.

Next question?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,693 Posts
I still don't understand how I can't get a car with T-Tops,but I can drive around in my Jeep with the doors off.
Because Jeeps don't ever get hit on the side, therefore you do not need side air bags.

Next question?
Add one to the other in reverse order maybe, and that's why the airbag issue ;). Edit: I wonder what a side airbag deployment would be like with no doors? maybe the testers should try it to see. ;)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Exactly; what do they classify as a station wagon? Regal Tour X comes to mind as a real station wagon, but vehicles like, Subaru Outback and Forester come to mind, Dodge Journey?.............
Good question. The closest thing to a traditional station wagon is/was the Tour X, which sold nothing.

CUV, minivan. Kind of all the same thing. I like referring to peoples' CUVs as "minivans" just to piss them off. But really, Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica. what really is the difference?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Good question. The closest thing to a traditional station wagon is/was the Tour X, which sold nothing.

CUV, minivan. Kind of all the same thing. I like referring to peoples' CUVs as "minivans" just to piss them off. But really, Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica. what really is the difference?
Sliding doors and that is pretty much it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts