GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been talked about before but I just purchased a 2017 1500 midnight edition with the 5.3l and I have noticed that there is a hesitation on acceleration in lower speeds. When you accelerate hard it has no issues but on the slower accelerations it feels like it is having trouble shifting. This has been my dream truck for sometime and I was finally able to make it happen last week, I am hoping that there is an explanation for this and that I did not just spend 60k for a dream truck that I am going to regret getting.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The good news is these transmissions will learn your driving habits, the bad news is it still wont completely resolve the slow driving shifting habits these trucks exhibit. A custom tune is really the only fix here and that depending on dealer can void your warranty so for many myself included that is not an option currently. About the only semi fix or ways to make it shift a little firmer is to hold in your tow haul button on the shift lever until you get the message that grade braking has been shut off, and to put it manually m5. What sucks is you will have to do this with every on/off cycle of your truck, it wont remember it.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I concur with Bigdog, on the plus side, for your shifting delma, you are rewarded with 0.2 increase in MPG, over the life of the truck that should save you about 50-bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Pull up your dash menu/view that shows when it's in 4 vs 8 cylinder mode and see if you can correlate the two situations. It may give you an idea of what's going on and give you assurance nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
That's just how these trucks shift. It sucks and the only way to fix it is an aftermarket tune which voids your warranty.

I've had three K2XX's, it's pretty much impossible to drive them smoothly in stop and go traffic. Every time you jump back on the gas at low speed (10 MPH or less), you'll get a nice jolt as the truck tries to figure out what gear it needs to be in.

From a dead stop or above 30 MPH, it's fine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is going to sound crazy but it doesn't cost anything so give it a try:

Pull up your driver's mat and pull on the pedal bracket. You'll see that it's plastic and has flex that lets it pull away from the firewall. Now find something to use as a shim (many people have used a piece of a paint stick). Pull the bracket away from the firewall and shove the shim in place. A lot of people on another GM Truck forum have found that it makes the throttle response much better since it keeps the pedal bracket from flexing.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts

Pull up your driver's mat and pull on the pedal bracket. You'll see that it's plastic and has flex that lets it pull away from the firewall. Now find something to use as a shim (many people have used a piece of a paint stick). Pull the bracket away from the firewall and shove the shim in place. A lot of people on another GM Truck forum have found that it makes the throttle response much better since it keeps the pedal bracket from flexing.
Interesting; do you think a popsicle stick would work?

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Two popsicle sticks and a wad of gum should make it work better
Great; I can't help but think this has the foundation for a chapter in the book I've been toying with writing............

"How I fixed my $60K truck: 1 part gum, 2 part popsicle-stick"

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great; I can't help but think this has the foundation for a chapter in the book I've been toying with writing............

"How I fixed my $60K truck: 1 part gum, 2 part popsicle-stick"
If you write it as a Mechanical Engineering textbook "Fundementals of deformable wad dynamics"
I know Texas A&M would be interested

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Interesting I'll have to take a look at that on my wife's '14 5.3. Its throttle response always bugs me but the wife likes it. I always assumed it was just "filtered" for emissions, mileage, etc., but it would be interesting if there is a pedal flex issue. I did drive a '15 6.2L that had great throttle response though, so I was wondering if that was a difference between how GM did the 6.2 vs. the 5.3, or a year difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you for this info !!!.... it’s like I have a brand new truck , I can’t believe it worked , I was about to trade in my 2017 black midnight Silverado before I looked this help up !!... this was spot on !!... I hope GM noticed this flaw at some point , and remedied it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts