GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Cadillac XT5 Forum

Spy shots at link

Another prototype for the Cadillac SRX replacement has been spotted testing. With the new model, Cadillac’s midsize crossover will adopt the automaker’s new nomenclature that uses XT as the prefix for its crossover and SUV models. The SRX replacement is expected to be called Cadillac XT5 when it arrives for the 2017 model year.

Although the current second-generation SRX is based on a unique chassis derived from GM’s Epsilon II architecture, the 2017 Cadillac XT5 will move to the upcoming Chi platform. With the new flexible architecture, the XT5 is rumored to be available in two wheelbases. The shorter version will be called C1UL, while the stretched variant will be called C1ULS. Chi is also expected to replace the Lambda platform used for the current Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, and GMC Acadia.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1502_spied_2017_cadillac_xt5_mule_prepares_to_replace_srx.html

It seems that Brian Williams has taken up a new hobby in his 6 month absence. :D

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
The front looks blockier, less pointy. I wonder if the grille looks like the Escalade's? Say what you will about the 'Slade, but it's certainly in yer face, bold and unmistakably a Cadillac..

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
2 different wheelbases could be interesting and also work as a stop gap until the larger model is available

Also, another new turbo v6? 2.7T for the XT5 AND a 3.0T for the CT6? I have a harder time thinking of that being true.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The front looks blockier, less pointy. I wonder if the grille looks like the Escalade's? Say what you will about the 'Slade, but it's certainly in yer face, bold and unmistakably a Cadillac..
I agree. I have not seen a new Escalade on the road yet that has not cought my attention. They look so good that it makes me sad that I had to get a Tahoe and not an Escalade.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Does it really matter if a crossover is RWD based over FWD based ? I understand with cars, the RWD based cars are more performance oriented but do you really need that kind of performance with a crossover ? Or is this all about perception that Caddy's need to be rwd based to be considered in the same league as the germans ? I mean your not going to be racing or taking it out on the autobahn like a car. Is it true all people want with a crossover is comfort, ride, good handling and power and some off roading like maybe to get out of snow and mud ? I'd like to hear what you all think ?

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Does it really matter if a crossover is RWD based over FWD based ? I understand with cars, the RWD based cars are more performance oriented but do you really need that kind of performance with a crossover ? Or is this all about perception that Caddy's need to be rwd based to be considered in the same league as the germans ? I mean your not going to be racing or taking it out on the autobahn like a car. Is it true all people want with a crossover is comfort, ride, good handling and power and some off roading like maybe to get out of snow and mud ? I'd like to hear what you all think ?
The problem is that "the best" is created by car magazines and enthusiasts, telling us how great a car/SUV/CUV handles at 150 mph, if Cadillac's can't handle and accelerate as well as the Germans, then the Cadillac isn't the best. Even if the people buying it will never drive over 80 mph where fwd vs. rwd won't be noticed as much. Image, nothing more.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
What is a Cadillac? SRX and CTS-V are two wildly different cars that could be from two different brands.

They make one BMW.

They don't make one Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
What is a Cadillac? SRX and CTS-V are two wildly different cars that could be from two different brands.

They make one BMW.

They don't make one Cadillac.
Yes, the SRX was a missed opportunity for Cadillac. Had Johan been around in time, I'm confident a FWD SRX wouldn't have happened. Every product from here on out seems to fall in line with Cadillac's mission to make performance oriented vehicles.

Now, that's not to say that the SRX can't be dialed in and made to fulfill that mission to some degree, but it won't come with the world class and even class leading level of performance and dynamics that we've come to expect from the ATS and CTS. An advanced AWD system and longitudinal motor is the first step. Audi does it so it can be done with the proper motivation and mindset.

The SRX will probably sell well, just like it currently does, but I'd say we are at least another full generation of vehicles away from being able to say that Cadillac has a cohesive product and brand strategy everywhere within the organization. Vehicles like the XTS, ELR and even the Escalade to some degree need refinement to meet that mission as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.