GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
? Uneven panel gaps ? Luxury brand cars never had those and budget brand cars got rid of them a couple of decades ago.
Mercedes also has similar problems in some models

More importantly, as far as this problem is common to the model and brand. Anyone carmaker has build quality problems. The difference is in the scale.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This article just confirms what many of us have known for years. The Asian products have had more precise finished bodies than GM vehicles. Body men that worked on American cars for years were used to the slotted bolt holes to adjust body panels on cars. When the ***anese vehicles came to the country, they found that the bolt holes fit the bolt exactly and they had to straighten up the accident damage better to get the parts to fit.

The Hyndai/Kia products have always had a lot more features at the same price point than other brands.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Some obvious import loving Cadillac hating bias going on here, move along nothing to see here. Why is this junk article headline news?
Yes. A quick look at the specifications published show that despite the slight smaller Cadillac engine, the Cadillac produces more horsepower and torque to power a less massive vehicle with more interior passenger space. But the Hyundai gives a floaty ride. This is supposed to be a good thing. Hyundai's new sub brand is supposed to be a 1976 Cadillac Sedan DeVille?

In my not so humble opinion, some automobile critics have lost their minds.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Some obvious import loving Cadillac hating bias going on here, move along nothing to see here. Why is this junk article headline news?
I think she's just calling it like she sees it. Here's something to consider: I was at Cadillac House in NYC over the summer and talking to one of the execs who works there. He mentioned that, to his dismay, Cadillacs are still built to the same standard as a Chevy, and I think he's correct. Hyundai, like Toyota, figured out that a high end brand is where you show off the best you can do. Cadillac, unfortunately, still seems to be obtuse to this fact, and I think it's really hurting them. People who shop this segment can be very discerning, and this test is revealing about why they often shop elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
35,459 Posts
He posts the article for discussion!
Hey! Crazy idea! Discussion! Forum! :soapbox::doh:

British Dictionary definitions for forum
forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun (pl) -rums, -ra (-rə)
1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/forum

Reactions: rodd62 and SierraGS

·
Registered
377 Posts
I watched the skank's video to see what CT6 fit and finish issues she'd highlight. Of course nada. The bottom line is that she wants an old man's luxury car and had to justify it somehow, so we get the fit and finish and "cohesiveness" garbage. I rue the day AG took over GMI and foisteted their garbage reviews by auto illiterates on us. Otherwise, great post!��

·
Banned
867 Posts
I watched Jodi's review thought it was spot on, GM still can't get their transmissions right and I see their fits on the dealers lot, you can tell no time is given to fit the gaps as the caddy rolls down the line beside a Chevy. It's a shame because the XTS is one nice car that doesn't get the added time to make it stand out from the rest that roll down the line in Oshawa. The CT6 just more of the same.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Yes. A quick look at the specifications published show that despite the slight smaller Cadillac engine, the Cadillac produces more horsepower and torque to power a less massive vehicle with more interior passenger space. But the Hyundai gives a floaty ride. This is supposed to be a good thing. Hyundai's new sub brand is supposed to be a 1976 Cadillac Sedan DeVille?

In my not so humble opinion, some automobile critics have lost their minds.
The G90 did not ride like a float/boat 1976 Cadillac, it delivered the type of ride preferred by most buyers in this segment.

I have known this for years and it was proven to me in the real world when I was on a Audi ride and drive and found a very large gap in the way the 5-Series/E-Class/A6 and the 7-Series/S-Class/A8 cars were driven the the test loop. The 5/E/6 drivers were very performance oriented while I thought my Grandmother was driving most of the 7/S/8 cars! It was a very enlightening moment to say the least.

Cadillac just does not "get it", large luxury sedans want a car that coddles them and makes the trip as effortless as possible and like to "glide along" rather than "attack" the road.

Cadillac needs to tune the CT6 to deliver a ride that delivers a "Controlled Float" in order to give large Luxury sedan buyers the ride they really want, add a "Sport" setting for those who do want more performance and Cadillac will attract more buyers. This would give Cadillac something that competitors cannot offer.

At the moment the Continental is selling at CT6 numbers as is the Genesis G80, so it will not be a surprise to see the newly introduced G90 attract as many buyers as the CT6 even if it is lesser known and comes from Hyundai.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Comfort vs Handling vs Performance?

Surely premium/luxury models needs to cover the options with different sub-model ranges - Audi use A- for comfort, A- S-Line for handling and S- for performance - on top of standard trims, BMW adds M-Sport for handling and M- for performance - Mercedes-Benz adds AMG-Line for handling and AMG for performance.

I understand why some GMI contributors think that Cadillac should ONLY do performance versions but paying customers are different and there should be no reason that Cadillac can't build different versions to cover all the bases.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I watched Jodi's review thought it was spot on, GM still can't get their transmissions right and I see their fits on the dealers lot, you can tell no time is given to fit the gaps as the caddy rolls down the line beside a Chevy. It's a shame because the XTS is one nice car that doesn't get the added time to make it stand out from the rest that roll down the line in Oshawa. The CT6 just more of the same.
And the CT6 is built at Hammtramck, which never seems to get its act together. My guess is it's probably more the fault of the process, the brand quality manager, and not as much blame on the assembly workers. My ELR was built there, and it's about 98% excellent (something that could hardly be said about the 2014 ELRs that I experienced.) But it has flaws where something like a Lexus would be perfect, like the passenger side door skin doesn't fit exactly right to the body at the bottom, and the headliner in the back (next to the rear glass) wasn't pressed into its clips, left just hanging there. When I was able to fix it in 15 seconds by punching it up with my hand, and it has stayed ever since, you know there's something wrong in their QC process. And oh yeah, a loose 12V battery cable disabled the car once.

OK now, all that said, the shame of these letdowns is that otherwise my ELR is the best car I ever owned. It feels special and luxurious and borderline magical at times. Much credit goes to the original engineering work that went into the Volt powertrain, but it's also obvious that Cadillac designers and engineers really sweat the details of tweaking it to 11 and making a very unique and special car, which I wouldn't trade for any car out there under 6 figures (and not many above 6 figures).

So Cadillac goes through all this trouble designing and engineering a brilliant car, and then they let it get built to a lower standard than just about every direct competitor. To make matters worse, the CT6 interior strikes me as cheaper to build and behold than the XTS Platinum that precedes it, so now they're adding issues on issues. I wish the signs at Cadillac were more encouraging, but it seems like Johan is so focused on pushing through Project Pinnacle, the things that matter more to consumers are not getting the attention they need. Unless that changes, I think Genesis has a brighter future than Cadillac, and the reviewer from AutoGuide will be able to look back in 10 years and say, "I told you so." However, she is wrong about the "safety alert" seat, which I think is brilliant. And which BTW, you can change to audible alerts through CUE if that's your preference.

·
Premium Member
32,778 Posts
Autoguide is clearly on Hyundai's payroll, given they gave the old Genesis as a better handling car than the 2014 CTS. That said, Cadillac has exposed itself to these sort of reviews by not giving CT6 the chops it needs to be their flagship. Even they admit that its not their Flagship.

As far as engineering is concerned, there is nothing like it. If that is your thing, then you get the Cadillac, if plush rides is your thing, there is the XTS and the Lincoln Continental.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts