GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch until the end, when you'll hear Reuss say.....
"What do I see here from a range stand point, Holy Cow?"

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Psyche!!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I hope it's a "game changer" because they are great cars with loads of technology but the last one became the poster car of the bailout. It deserves better!
The first one debuted into the bailout aftermath, the new one will likely debut with $2 gas the norm. It's a bit early to say the Volt is cursed, but Cubs fans are going to begin feeling a kinship with Volt owners if this keeps up!

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Ah. He finally smiled! :drive:

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
I wish our Volt had a big red "EJECT" button in the middle of the dash like this prototype!!:D

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Well the next gen Volt battery basically has the same battery capacity as the 2015 Spark EV (Same cell format and same number of cells). The Spark EV got a whole new battery for the 2015 model year using LG Chem cells.

The 2015 Volt basically gets an EPA rated 40 miles EV on a 17.1KWh battery (11.4KWh usable).[note GM did not re-certify the 2015 Volt EV range with the battery size increase] The 2015 Spark EV is ~19KWh (15.2KWh usable).

So this will mean that the 2016 Volt will have a ~19 - 20 KWh battery (considering any chemistry improvements). Voltec requires a larger battery buffer for hybrid operation so that would likely put the usable battery capacity at ~13 to 14KWh's.

So that's a 15 to 20% increase in usable electricity for EV operation. Also GM has stated that the powertrain is 5 to 12% more efficient. I also think the car will be 10% lighter which will translate into ~5% more range.

Assuming 15% more usable electricity + 10% (on average) more efficient and 5% from weight loss:
40miles + (40*0.15) + (40*0.10) + (40*0.05) = 52 miles EV EPA rated. Margin of error +/- 2 miles.

I'm also very interested to see if they have improved the heater performance for better winter range. A high efficiency heat pump would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well the next gen Volt battery basically has the same battery capacity as the 2015 Spark EV (Same cell format and same number of cells). The Spark EV got a whole new battery for the 2015 model year using LG Chem cells.

The 2015 Volt basically gets an EPA rated 40 miles EV on a 17.1KWh battery (11.4KWh usable).[note GM did not re-certify the 2015 Volt EV range with the battery size increase] The 2015 Spark EV is ~19KWh (15.2KWh usable).

So this will mean that the 2016 Volt will have a ~19 - 20 KWh battery (considering any chemistry improvements). Voltec requires a larger battery buffer for hybrid operation so that would likely put the usable battery capacity at ~13 to 14KWh's.

So that's a 15 to 20% increase in usable electricity for EV operation. Also GM has stated that the powertrain is 5 to 12% more efficient. I also think the car will be 10% lighter which will translate into ~5% more range.

Assuming 15% more usable electricity + 10% (on average) more efficient and 5% from weight loss:
40miles + (40*0.15) + (40*0.10) + (40*0.05) = 52 miles EV EPA rated. Margin of error +/- 2 miles.

I'm also very interested to see if they have improved the heater performance for better winter range. A high efficiency heat pump would be a nice addition.

I would argue that they are going to have to reach the 60-70 full-electric plateau to really make a difference in the market. With the competition and huge advancements in battery tech, I see the range growing to more than just 52 miles. 60 at least and maybe 70 if you use the active paddles for regen braking and are in certain locations.

I mean these are the same engineers and company to get a 450hp +, 3,400 + lb car to reach 29-30 hwy officially rated, and some coming up with 40 mpg on a mile in select areas (Corvette)

What we know:
Transmission upgrade
Battery upgrade
Electric motor upgrade
ICE generator efficiency upgrade
Weight & Materials changes
GM Higher Ups doing videos saying OMG...

I suspect it will be quite a bit more range and even if just on the sticker if it hits between 60-70 market it hard.

Remember there were rumors stating that there may be two flavors/models of Volt 2.0
1.) Sheet Metal, Chassis, drive train, Volt 2.0 slight upgrade from 1.0 probably (46-52 mile range electric)
2.) Bigger battery longer range more expensive model (60-70 mile range electric)

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I wish our Volt had a big red "EJECT" button in the middle of the dash like this prototype!!:D
Why? Do you not like your wife very much, or does she not like you?:p:

Well wouldn't that be true of all hybrid or all electric vehicles?
Sure, but it's GM's offering that I think most of us care about... Especially because GM's main "hybrid" (Volt) costs considerably more than those offered by other companies, most notably the Prius. Prius is a mainstream model now with generations of customers who will return regardless of gas prices. Volt is still a niche product that will still rely on new customers to grow in the market. :)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I would argue that they are going to have to reach the 60-70 full-electric plateau to really make a difference in the market. With the competition and huge advancements in battery tech, I see the range growing to more than just 52 miles. 60 at least and maybe 70 if you use the active paddles for regen braking and are in certain locations.

I mean these are the same engineers and company to get a 450hp +, 3,400 + lb car to reach 29-30 hwy officially rated, and some coming up with 40 mpg on a mile in select areas (Corvette)

What we know:
Transmission upgrade
Battery upgrade
Electric motor upgrade
ICE generator efficiency upgrade
Weight & Materials changes
GM Higher Ups doing videos saying OMG...

I suspect it will be quite a bit more range and even if just on the sticker if it hits between 60-70 market it hard.

Remember there were rumors stating that there may be two flavors/models of Volt 2.0
1.) Sheet Metal, Chassis, drive train, Volt 2.0 slight upgrade from 1.0 probably (46-52 mile range electric)
2.) Bigger battery longer range more expensive model (60-70 mile range electric)
My numbers take all that into consideration. Engineering tweaks are not going to double the effective range in one design cycle. That is one smoking pipe dream. Heck even I'm predicting a 30% range increase inside one design cycle. That is freaking massive! Engineers for gas powered vehicles jump up and down over 5%. GM has already stated the battery will be using 192 cells from their LG Chem facility (exactly the same as the Spark EV battery). And this cell based on figures appears to be the exact same 30Ah cell used in the 2015 Spark EV battery.

Also I disagree with your claim of the need of a 60 - 70 mile range. What would be the point of that? Now you are spending thousands of dollars for less than 5% of the target demographic. The cost benefit just isn't there. Plus now you are just carrying around a range extender that you will almost never use. Sure there are people that have greater than a 50 mile commute. But they are a very small minority. The majority of people do not.

Remember the whole concept of Voltec is to give EV range to meet 80% of driving needs (typical normal driving commute for most people) while throwing in a hybrid mode for an un-comprimised driving experience. This allows the use of a smaller battery (compared to a typical 100% BEV) with no compromises from a gas powered vehicle.

Personally I think a 52mile EV range is a good sweet spot. GM has always stated that a 40 mile EV range is the sweet spot for the vast majority of commuters. With a 52 mile EV range that should yield a realistic 40 mile EV range in winter like conditions. GM should focus on this range and then use technological improvements to decrease cost and improve performance.

If you don't like the EV range then wait a year or two for a 200 mile BEV that GM is supposed to launch. But a 200 mile BEV won't work for me (as our primary vehicle).

Personally the current Volt has a great range for me now. A 30% increase in EV range will benefit me in the Winter. A nearly 100% increase that you are looking for would do absolutely nothing for me and very little for the majority of drivers. I have a 25 mile round trip commute. My wife has a 10 mile round trip commute. Of the dozen or so Volt owners in my area I have one of the longest commutes. So for other than bragging rights (which the Volt already has becasue no one in the PHEV market place comes close to the current gen Volt in EV range) what would be the point of a near doubling of EV range?

For fuel only fuel economy I would predict a fuel economy of mid 40's MPG. GM has put a lot of work into this gas engine for Voltec. I think it will pay off.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
Why? Do you not like your wife very much, or does she not like you?:p:
More likely, the latter. I'm sure there are plenty of times when she'd love to shoot me through the roof!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts