GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Nissan’s 2016 Titan pickup truck is testing on public roads and our spy photographers caught it in the act.

The full prototype is heavily camouflaged just in time for Halloween and gives us a look at what to expect when the production model makes its debut at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show. Recently we reported details on the new Cummins turbo-diesel engine which will be a 5.0-liter V8 mill likely sporting around 300 hp and 550 lb-ft of torque thanks to a pair of sequential turbos.

Along with the diesel engine offering, the 2016 Nissan Titan will also be available with a standard gasoline 5.6-liter V8 engine. Expect the next-generation pickup to be available in crew cab, extended cab and regular cab variants with production starting in September 2015.
For more information on this story, 2016 Nissan Titan Spied Testing Turbo Diesel and to see all of the accompanying spy photos please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Don't like coming on here praising up the opposition, but it does look quite good, with a nice diesel thats a worry its gonna do well.

Love the big rectangular rear cab windows on the Titan that give excellent all round very practical visibility, thats the one big thing l would give the Titan 10/10 for doing. Reversing into a tight spot is the one manoeuvre l hate doing in a pick-up. Like the extended door mirrors. Nissan Titan looks very sound, and very safe.

l absolutely hate the new trendy car like Thai made pick-ups that style in blind spots into the rear cabs windows, l don't care what company makes them l would not touch a truck like that, l could just not live on a day to day basis with something like Mitsubishi L200. Every l reverse out my drive l would be instantly hit with a 45% rear blindspot in a L200's induced blind spot in rear cabs lower window lines that slop upwards rather than dead straight with lots of glass. The Nissan Titan lots of rear view visibility in the Nissan Titan which is a brilliant very practical design, that has excellent all round visabily

Use your mirrors, no good at 45 degrees, Mmmm and kill a dozen cyclists.
Having good all round rear visibility is a very important to me

I do a quick glance over my shoulder as well using mirrors when turning at lights, last thing you want is L200 induced blind spots designed in.

Would only ever consider buying a Ford, GM or Ram truck an American truck, l am totally biased don't know why, nothing in the next million will ever change me.

My next new truck is gonna be a Silverado.

Reactions: oldmember2

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
to me it LOOKS like the last gen Dakota but bigger
Having good all round rear visibility is a very important to me

Would only ever consider buying a Ford, GM or Ram truck an American truck, l am totally biased don't know why, nothing in the next million will ever change me.
the "AMERICAN 3" trucks are NOT good for visibility to the rear 1/4 or to the back EX tall 4X4 versions to the point I would say the Hi Lux / Niverra are better simply as they are smaller

I am curious about the 2.8L "EPA/Cummins" 4 CYL that NISSAN WAS working on and showed up last year in a Frontier show truck

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
to me it LOOKS like the last gen Dakota but bigger

the "AMERICAN 3" trucks are NOT good for visibility to the rear 1/4 or to the back EX tall 4X4 versions to the point I would say the Hi Lux / Niverra are better simply as they are smaller

I am curious about the 2.8L "EPA/Cummins" 4 CYL that NISSAN WAS working on and showed up last year in a Frontier show truck
The big 3 F-150, Silverado & Ram have some of the best rear cab big square rear view visibility in the world, and are the best sellers as well all very high profit yield the best on the planet second to none.

Yep you are right the Navara and Hilux both have excellent big rear rectangular rear cab windows, are smaller probably a lot easier to park in tight spots than a F-Series F-650 but would Americans buy Toyota Hilux?
Toyota Hilux and Nivara are the two best selling trucks outside of North America, and probably among the very few that l like as well.

You know what l mean, l am talking rear cab rear window blind spots visibility not truck size, sure a big F-Series truck is gonna be harder to park in a tight spot, the smaller Toyota Hilux would be much easier to park in a small space between cars l agree with you 100% on that, but is not sold in the USA.

Mitsubishi L200 where the big upsweeps in the low rear cab window glass create a dangerous poor rear visibility blind spot unsafe condition.

Mitsubishi L200 Review LINK
Off-road handling
Locking rear diff
Gripes
Lousy visibility
Wallowy road-holding
Ugly-girl-in-the-corner looks

A rear cab window blind spot "lousy visibility" compromise

You know what l mean Mitsubishi L200 that never makes it on to the worlds top 10 best selling trucks pick-up truck list at the end of the year.

F-Series the No 1 best selling pick-up on the planet nice big rectangular rear cab windows excellent rear 44 degree rear visibility, the biggest wealth creating automobile on the planet

I don't do "lousy visibility" and nor does anybody else do the L200, l don't do compromises.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I see it'll have a giant gaping maw like the NV200.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
The big 3 F-150, Silverado & Ram have some of the best rear cab big square rear view visibility in the world, and are the best sellers as well all very high profit yield the best on the planet second to none.

Yep you are right the Navara and Hilux both have excellent big rear rectangular rear cab windows, are smaller probably a lot easier to park in tight spots than a F-Series F-650 but would Americans buy Toyota Hilux?
Toyota Hilux and Nivara are the two best selling trucks outside of North America, and probably among the very few that l like as well.

You know what l mean, l am talking rear cab rear window blind spots visibility not truck size, sure a big F-Series truck is gonna be harder to park in a tight spot, the smaller Toyota Hilux would be much easier to park in a small space between cars l agree with you 100% on that, but is not sold in the USA.

Mitsubishi L200 where the big upsweeps in the low rear cab window glass create a dangerous poor rear visibility blind spot unsafe condition.

A rear cab window blind spot "lousy visibility" compromise

F-Series the No 1 best selling pick-up on the planet nice big rectangular rear cab windows excellent rear 44 degree rear visibility, the biggest wealth creating automobile on the planet

I don't do "lousy visibility" and nor does anybody else do the L200, l don't do compromises.

the "awesome" view of a F150

I am NOT knocking the "American Pick Up" just the case of good visibility that are NOT
I OWN 3 OF them and my 85 Sierra C2500 is great my 07 AVALANCHE is NOT
and I do agree those "soap bar" L200/Mazda Bravo are UGLY but I do like the looks of the T50 Ranger

·
Registered
3,899 Posts

the "awesome" view of a F150

I am NOT knocking the "American Pick Up" just the case of good visibility that are NOT
I OWN 3 OF them and my 85 Sierra C2500 is great my 07 AVALANCHE is NOT
and I do agree those "soap bar" L200/Mazda Bravo are UGLY but I do like the looks of the T50 Ranger
Sounds like you have owned some very nice vehicles over the years, T50 Ranger is very popular with those that have owned them.

Ford are talking thinking about bring back the Ranchero again as a replacement for the the old Ranger, they were thinking of using the Aussie Thai/South African Ranger made Ranger but its to close in size to the F-150 (90% the size) and might steal the F-150 more lucrative sales. A much smaller Ranchero won't impede on the F-Series but would make a ideal practical little rural runaround for those that live more out in the country.

Ford are mulling over bringing back the Ranchero (Not sure if it has been posted here)
LINK

A Ranchero certainly would make another superb small world pick-truck, that could be used to replace the Aussie Falcon UTE in Australia where the terrain is tough, sometimes l don't know whether to laugh or cry when you read on here Opel's cars (Won't last 5 minutes before they fell to bits) are gonna replace the Aussie Commodore, both the the Falcon and the Commodore were specially purpose built tough to withstand the tough Aussie terrain, the Ford Ranchero will do very well in places like Australia & South Africa etc which have roads full of potholes ruts and generally very tough terrains that Holdens & Fords used to be designed purpose build made for.

Not sure if a little very light duty Fiesta Courier would be robust durable enough, but a 2 door 90 MPG little torqie diesel Fiesta Courier might be well suited for the small gardener/swimming pool maintenance in more urban areas, but then its gonna steal sales from the more lucrative markets, but what a easy pick-up truck that would be to park in a tight spot. But then it would kill off all the huge profits made on trucks - Ford, GM & Mopar would all be in Chapter 11 pretty quick, even though not many folk would want one as they are just a bit to small could not tow more than a sacks of spuds, and the gas prices are still very cheap at the moment..

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Hmmmm.....interesting torque 'ratio' and total..... especially in light of the equally interesting hp / cc number.

It is a Cummins of course but still...... seems a little extreme all in all meaning the other specifics of this application.

Perhaps..... if approximately true about a bunch of other considerations both for this vehicle program / EM and then for outside use.

Would somewhat think 325 / 330 hp with eh, 490 / 525 pd/ft would be nice....and failing all that then 300 + 525 and finally 300 / 325 + 450 / 500.

Unless they intend to nip away above the 150 / 250 level ie 250 HD / 350 'within the lighter half' as a very light alternative ie a type of 'tweener.

Anyway, likely to be the one that gives the best approximation of what a 4.5 DM could have...... and could still be like.

Although for previous efforts 'how close' would be a question. For future applications probably a stronger similarity in terms of both relative and absolutes except for perhaps ... physical size and total installed mass - and some total torque / torque curves.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hmmmm.....interesting torque 'ratio' and total..... especially in light of the equally interesting hp / cc number.

It is a Cummins of course but still...... seems a little extreme all in all meaning the other specifics of this application.

Perhaps..... if approximately true about a bunch of other considerations both for this vehicle program / EM and then for outside use.

Would somewhat think 325 / 330 hp with eh, 490 / 525 pd/ft would be nice....and failing all that then 300 + 525 and finally 300 / 325 + 450 / 500.

Unless they intend to nip away above the 150 / 250 level ie 250 HD / 350 'within the lighter half' as a very light alternative ie a type of 'tweener.

Anyway, likely to be the one that gives the best approximation of what a 4.5 DM could have...... and could still be like.

Although for previous efforts 'how close' would be a question. For future applications probably a stronger similarity in terms of both relative and absolutes except for perhaps ... physical size and total installed mass - and some total torque / torque curves.
The problem I see is that HP figure is burning fuel....doesn't matter if diesel or gas....there is a reason large diesel engines aren't in half-tons.....they burn to much fuel....a 5.0V8 diesel with high HP is burning fuel........

I can see this as a premium engine....big cost with big image....

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
The problem I see is that HP figure is burning fuel....doesn't matter if diesel or gas....there is a reason large diesel engines aren't in half-tons.....they burn to much fuel....a 5.0V8 diesel with high HP is burning fuel........

I can see this as a premium engine....big cost with big image....
which IMHO am interested in the 2.8L 4 POT in a light weight / mid sized offering tuned for FE over BHP + offer the V8 for "image"

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Of all of the different models of Ford Courier I've seen, this looks like the toughest one (which isn't saying much). For anyone else, here are more views.

And for the 5000 pound elephant in the room, I'm pretty sure that a truck like this wouldn't cannibalize the F150.
What about a little electric Hilux, they will pull anything?

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
You're right. No one would buy something that ugly! :barf:
You know uglier looking trucks & cars have been built. Some were even sold here. :eek: Seriously, that truck could solve the comments that some people need a truck for odd jobs occasionally, but would drive a normal car otherwise. Or, some fleet company that needs a small city truck for deliveries, but not delivering bricks/concrete blocks or anything truly heavy.

What about a little electric Hilux, they will pull anything?
:lmao: Not enough electric plugs in my house to recharge all of those batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Prius's technology doesn't trickle down into the Hilux/Tacoma sometime in the future.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
You know uglier looking trucks & cars have been built. Some were even sold here. :eek: Seriously, that truck could solve the comments that some people need a truck for odd jobs occasionally, but would drive a normal car otherwise. Or, some fleet company that needs a small city truck for deliveries, but not delivering bricks/concrete blocks or anything truly heavy.
I'm sure it's plenty useful, but goodness. It looks like a Ute on stilts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts