1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXCLUSIVE: 2016 Lincoln MKS Confirmed for New York Auto Show Debut
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
23RD JANUARY 2015

Before Kumar Galhotra was appointed the new prez of the Lincoln brand, Ford CEO Mark Fields and his trusted marketing head Jim Farley lobbied in front of the board of directors to pump money in the Lincoln marque. Without the influence of these two, Ford’s most luxurious automotive brand would’ve followed Mercury into the grave by the end of this decade.

More financial resources, better management and a certain Hollywood star (Matthew Mcconaughey) led to improving sales volumes, especially in China. The other vital element in Lincoln’s rejuvenation comes in the form of all-new models. With the exception of the MKT and MKS, the model lineup consists of all-new offerings such as the MKC, MKZ, MKX and the 2015 model year Navigator. But more are to come, including an all-new Aviator according to this mark.

After discovering the Aviator mark in the Patent and Trademark Office database, we reached out to an older source inside FoMoCo regarding the company’s position on whether the Lincoln Aviator will really come back from the dead, based on the new D6 platform. Our source couldn't tell us straightforward if this will surely come to fruition but we did get a 50-50 chance “no comment, but prepare to be taken by surprise.”

We didn’t forget to also ask about what’s in store for the New York Auto Show in April. After the 2015 Ford Edge-based MKX got its 15 minutes of fame at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month, we have learned that “an all-new large sedan” will debut at NY, underpinned by an architecture that “won’t be FWD.”

CONTINUE AT AUTONEWS.COM

Reactions: paul8488

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Good news all around. Nice to see them pumping money into Lincoln, and kudos to Galhotra, Fields, and Farley for "keeping the faith" in the brand. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

We didn’t forget to also ask about what’s in store for the New York Auto Show in April. After the 2015 Ford Edge-based MKX got its 15 minutes of fame at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this month, we have learned that “an all-new large sedan” will debut at NY, underpinned by an architecture that “won’t be FWD.”
Can't wait to see what this is all about. We know that they're working on a RWD platform, but haven't heard much about it outside of rumors. If they've pulled something together this quickly (and have it launch sometime soon after the debut), that would be mightily impressive.
In addition to these presumptions, a numer of reports hint towards an all-new 2.9-liter EcoBoost V6 engine codenamed Nano that will replace the 3.7 Ti-VCT.
Someone else mentioned a Lincoln-specific EcoBoost engine in prior posts, but this is the first time I'm seeing it referenced in an actual article. I'm wondering if it will be a more "evolved" or "massaged" version of the EcoBoost for use in a Lincoln model?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Good news all around. Nice to see them pumping money into Lincoln, and kudos to Galhotra, Fields, and Farley for "keeping the faith" in the brand. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

Can't wait to see what this is all about. We know that they're working on a RWD platform, but haven't heard much about it outside of rumors. If they've pulled something together this quickly (and have it launch sometime soon after the debut), that would be mightily impressive.

Someone else mentioned a Lincoln-specific EcoBoost engine in prior posts, but this is the first time I'm seeing it referenced in an actual article. I'm wondering if it will be a more "evolved" or "massaged" version of the EcoBoost for use in a Lincoln model?
Where's the spyshots? If it's supposed to be out this year, then it should be already on the roads.w

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Further details haven’t been shared, but from what we’ve learnt, we can tell the following: the rumored Continental nameplate may not return with this all-new MKS (sorry Neil Young and Pono Music), the mysterious D6/CD6 rear and all-wheel drive platform is highly probable to debut on this full-size sedan. Our hunch is that the MKS' sister model Ford Taurus will also adopt this skeleton for the 2016 model year.

Interesting bit here from the article. I'm much more interested in a RWD Taurus. GM would have to battle back with a proper Impala/Commodore.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I find it VERY, VERY difficult to believe we'll be seeing a new MKS on anything but a FWD platform. In fact I find it impossible. If I'm wrong I'll GLADLY admit to being wrong. That said I think we'll see a DAMN NICE MKS, with the new Ecoboost motors and a hella fine interior. This year's NYIAS will be THE ONE to watch! :cool::cool::cool::dro::dro::dro::dro::yup::yup::yup::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Further details haven’t been shared, but from what we’ve learnt, we can tell the following: the rumored Continental nameplate may not return with this all-new MKS (sorry Neil Young and Pono Music), the mysterious D6/CD6 rear and all-wheel drive platform is highly probable to debut on this full-size sedan. Our hunch is that the MKS' sister model Ford Taurus will also adopt this skeleton for the 2016 model year.

Interesting bit here from the article. I'm much more interested in a RWD Taurus. GM would have to battle back with a proper Impala/Commodore.
Look for a Chevy Caprice on the Omega platform.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Mules are all over the place, just very well disguised.

Isn't the CT6 supposed to debut at NYIAS? Man, wouldn't that be quite the kick in the teeth... if a really excellent, dramatically styled, production-ready RWD Lincoln Continental upstages the CT6 in its own hometown auto show.

Or, it could just be a slightly stretched, standard-AWD Lincoln MKZ, with more goodies.

We'll see. There are signs and inferences that point in either of those directions. While I can't imagine Lincoln wants to waste more money on what's a shrinking segment, they might want to make a splash in what used to be their home turf.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If true, this is fantastic...dare I dream of a RWD luxury/sport coupe again from lincoln? Although I will believe that there is a RWD lincoln on the way when I see it. The mkc is hardly a sales hit at this point, in a market where SUVs print money, so to replace the slow selling mks with a RWD platform in today's market doesn't make a lot of financial sense. Perhaps lincoln just wants to show they are serious by introducing an exciting and unexpected, halo-type vehicle.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

MKS-Replacement to be Called Continental? Supplier Confirms

it was confirmed by a supplier represented by Neil Young.
Sorry Dequindre:

Further details haven’t been shared, but from what we’ve learnt, we can tell the following: the rumored Continental nameplate may not return with this all-new MKS (sorry Neil Young and Pono Music),
Isn't the CT6 supposed to debut at NYIAS? Man, wouldn't that be quite the kick in the teeth... if a really excellent, dramatically styled, production-ready RWD Lincoln Continental upstages the CT6 in its own hometown auto show.
If not a "kick", at least a distraction.

I'm VERY excited to see this (regardless of it's name ;))

Reactions: sfbreh and cad1cts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Actually, the more I think about it, a RWD lincoln makes sense in that lincoln limousines have had the majority of the market for years. Losing that exposure to say, the CT6, would cost them relevance that advertising cannot buy.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It could just be AWD only...

Makes me wish I could still go to the NY Auto Show used to go every year before I moved to FL.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I find it VERY, VERY difficult to believe we'll be seeing a new MKS on anything but a FWD platform. In fact I find it impossible. If I'm wrong I'll GLADLY admit to being wrong. That said I think we'll see a DAMN NICE MKS, with the new Ecoboost motors and a hella fine interior. This year's NYIAS will be THE ONE to watch! :cool::cool::cool::dro::dro::dro::dro::yup::yup::yup::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Well, it is possible that the next MKS will be FWD, but it's also possible that they will show a NEW model.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Well think about it, if the 2.9 debuts it will probably be AWD only and if the other option is the 3.5 EcoBoost that would be AWD only also.... so I am thinking it will be AWD only. (probably still transverse front bias)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
"Isn't the CT6 supposed to debut at NYIAS? Man, wouldn't that be quite the kick in the teeth... if a really excellent, dramatically styled, production-ready RWD Lincoln Continental upstages the CT6 in its own hometown auto show."

There is a bigger chance of a unicorn doing a pole dance in the Lincoln display area.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Well, it is possible that the next MKS will be FWD, but it's also possible that they will show a NEW model.
Two possibilities: it's an AWD off the longstanding Volvo big car platform. Or it's a new RWD sedan pulled off the Mustang's platform - which now has a proper independent rear end, and is big enough, tall enough, etc. to support a sedan.

Can't wait to see what it is.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Two possibilities: it's an AWD off the longstanding Volvo big car platform. Or it's a new RWD sedan pulled off the Mustang's platform - which now has a proper independent rear end, and is big enough, tall enough, etc. to support a sedan.

Ah yes. I forgot about the Mustang connection. You may well be right.

Cars like the FWD/AWD MKS (and XTS) still have a market in China, but they are failing here in North America.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

I don't think it will be on D4 that platform is really old and I think Ford is trying to phase it out. It could be a stretched CD4 (Current Fusion) or maybe the rumored D6 but I don't think that is ready yet unless they have been working on it a lot longer than we have even known about.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts