Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Chevrolet Camaro Spy Video
Motor Authority
By Viknesh Vijayenthiran
Oct 15, 2014

As the prototype confirms, the new Camaro won't look very different to the current model, but there are some big changes taking place beneath the skin. As we’ve known for some time, the new Camaro, which will arrive as a 2016 model, will be based on General Motors Company’s [NYSE:GM] brilliant Alpha platform, currently found in the Cadillac ATS and CTS.

Both light and stiff, the platform should ensure the new Camaro is leaps and bounds ahead of the relatively heavy Zeta-based model on sale today when it comes to acceleration, handling and economy. The lighter weight will also allow the new Camaro to offer a four-cylinder engine, providing a rival for Ford Motor Company’s new Mustang EcoBoost.

*Full Article w/Video at Link

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
A really lame product - how could you possibly spend so much developing a vehicle on a cramped platform that it will share with the disgusting Cadihack ATS and not come up with something stylish. This thing could even be more of a blob and bland product than the current Shamaro. And you be guaranteed the interior will be hideous, look cheap, and make you feel like you were getting a German view of Normandy from inside the pill box.

I would have thought that TRM would have at least tried to offer something compelling since Ford brought its entire army behind the Mustang. Looks like the mess hall is the only thing behind this pathetic product.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did anyone else notice there are 2 different Camaros testing in this video?! The front bumper covers are different....
Yea there seems to be a V6 or Turbo 4cyl testing with the V8's judging by the engine note. The V8 cars seem to have a slightly smaller or more narrow lower air dam. There is also a V8 prototype running around with a extra splitter. Maybe 1LE..

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm gonna ROFLMAO if that LHD only (no RHD for you) Camaro comes in at around 50 to 70 kg lighter. I mean look at the Mustang, it ended up porkier
If they offer RHD i'll likely buy one if I haven't been announced Deceased after the announcement :D

It needs to shed well over 100+ kg's for me to consider it truly lighter

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'm gonna ROFLMAO if that LHD only (no RHD for you) Camaro comes in at around 50 to 70 kg lighter. I mean look at the Mustang, it ended up porkier
If they offer RHD i'll likely buy one if I haven't been announced Deceased after the announcement :D

It needs to shed well over 100+ kg's for me to consider it truly lighter
The current Camaro SS 1LE model beat the 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance Pack and that's with a higher curb weight. With the new Camaro being lighter, it should handle great. Expecting the Camaro to be a lightweight race car just isn't reality. These are street cars, with a reasonably high amount of creature comforts, big 20" wheels/rubber, big 6 pistons calipers and monster discs, electronic this and that, upgraded interior bits. It all adds up really quickly. If you want lightweight in the new body style, I'm sure GM will oblige with a Z28 to destroy the competition. If the new Camaro SS comes in 50-100 lbs lighter than the Mustang GT, it will be a perfect starting point.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know.... I have a feeling that the Camaro 6 will be much more muscular and veiny. I feel like a lot of the character lines and strong indents and surfaces will really set this off. I am still thinking Corvette C6 to Corvette C7.
The green house will change a bit and all character lines are going to be much stronger and there will be a lot to look at. This is a great job at camouflaging the design.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ok I'm on board with the whole "Evolution vs. Revolution" of the 6th Gen styling (no choice but not to), but here's to hoping that all but the trained eye can distinguish a 6th Gen from a 5th Gen, or else it will be nothing but owners constantly saying to people, "No it's actually an entirely brand new Camaro, new platform, etc...".

So what if that's what 6th Gen Camaro owners have to tell people you say?

Ok I suppose "so what" works, but it will be tiring to those who have to constantly "educate" the general public.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm CERTAIN that the Camaro will be a STUPENDOUS car...but did ANYbody notice the sedan partially camouflaged driving BEHIND the Camaro at 2:55?

WTH was THAT? At first, I thought a Mercedes-Benz, but then THAT would be ridiculous!

Well...whatever it is, it had QUAD EXHAUST OUTLETS!!!!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I hope you're right because the mules look way too much like the current model. The more I see the 2014 Camaro, the more I actually hate it. It looks awful with its new squinty grille and headlights and its new bizzare taillights, all on its old large body. It looks like the former model (2010 - 2013) but morbidly obese to the point where it can't open its eyes. The next one should look muscular but svelt not blobby and like it has a gladular issue.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm sure the next one will be better than the current one, which is already better than the brand new Mustang, but still stick make it look nearly exactly the same as the current one is nothing short of lame.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.