1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
2016 Camaro spied with less disguise
World Car Fans
September 29, 2014
By: Michael Gauthier

The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro has been spied wearing less camouflage than ever before.

Caught undergoing testing near the near the Nürburgring, the model has an evolutionary design but adopts an aggressive front fascia with split grille. Moving further back, we can see a bulging hood, a sportier greenhouse and muscular rear fenders. The déjà vu design continues out back as the model has a familiar rear end with slender taillights, a trunk-mounted spoiler and a four-tailpipe exhaust system.

Full article is available at the link.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Clearest Look Yet at 2016 Chevy Camaro

The clearest look yet at the 2016 Chevy Camaro
Spies nab the Alpha-based pony car with much less camo.

By Alex Kierstein September 29, 2014 / Photos by Chris Doane Automotive

Last time we saw the 2016 Camaro, it was hiding under tarp-like camo. The tarp has come off, and what's underneath is angrier (and leaner) than the current car—a necessary and happy consequence of its move to the Alpha platform. A sleeker roofline and apparently shorter wheelbase tidy up the lines out back, although the tacked-on decklid is less successful than the old Z/28's ducktail.

Moving around to the front, there are faint echoes of the last Bumblebee Camaro, though this is a lot better. The headlamps are deeply recessed in a split upper grille (although the split itself may be creative misdirection on the part of GM's camouflage artists). The shape of the headlights looks—dare I say it?—almost like the 2015 Mustang, its mortal enemy. The cheap-looking plastic mesh on the lower grille looks temporary, but the important part is the overall effect of the shape, which is unlikely to change much. It's very, very aggressive. Attractive? Sadly, until the swirly camo comes off, it'll be hard to say.

More images and article continued at Road & Track.com...

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts
What I find interesting is that the lower grill doesn't seem to match up with the lower grill seen in previous spy pictures.

The earlier grill seems to be noticeably more narrow, with larger spacing grill slots.

Could Chevrolet be planning different fascias depending on model level?

To be honest, with what can be seen so far in these new pictures- I'm very disappointed (as of now). Overall, it looks way too close to the current car. This should have been a MCE 2 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
And? GM has been doing good MCE that give you a different look. As long as they get the views right Camaro owners will forgo the whole well it looks the same as stuff.
6 years from now we'll have a 10+ year old design. That's not good. People like new designs.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
We've known for a while now that the car's look would be evolutionary. I love the current gen's looks, but I was one of those hoping for something different. I have no doubts that the Gen 6 Camaro will be a great looking car, as well as a force to be reckoned with in all performance metrics. Its interior should be top notch as well, judging by GM's latest introductions. I was just hoping for a "new" great look, like that of every next generation Camaro distanced itself from its predecessor.

GM played it safe with the Camaro, and I guess I can't blame them. The performance coupe market isn't what it was 30 years ago, and they have to make sure they get a return on their Alpha investment. Like Ford with their new Mustang, Chevrolet took the safe route with the Gen 6 Camaro...

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
6 years from now we'll have a 10+ year old design. That's not good. People like new designs.
Doesn't matter. Ford has done great stuff the last ten years keeping the Mustang fresh. GM can do the same.

People whined about the new MCE being ugly etc but the car is still selling good. As long as it looks like a Camaro people will be happy.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Doesn't matter. Ford has done great stuff the last ten years keeping the Mustang fresh. GM can do the same.

People whined about the new MCE being ugly etc but the car is still selling good. As long as it looks like a Camaro people will be happy.
How does it not matter? Emotional, fresh designs are what sell cars. Decade old designs don't help at all.

I for one hated the MCE at first, but warmed up to it after seeing it on the road. But I can't imagine seeing this same design for the next 6 years and like it/want it at the end of its life cycle.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts