GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not really news, but I don't recall seeing video footage of the ATS-V in motion. For some reason the regular ATS and the ATS-V always look much better in motion than stopped. Suffice it to say I think the ATS-V looks great!!!!!! My only disappointment is the video doesn't have the engine/exhaust sound (or much sound).

My company just announced that we are moving our division to a new building, adding 20 miles each way (and 20 minutes on a good day with no traffic), putting me in a situation where I'll now be doing 90 miles round trip or 25,000 a year. Might be time to trade in the regular ATS, get a cheap and fuel efficient beater and then buy the ATS-V for a weekend car!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Not really news, but I don't recall seeing video footage of the ATS-V in motion. For some reason the regular ATS and the ATS-V always look much better in motion than stopped. Suffice it to say I think the ATS-V looks great!!!!!! My only disappointment is the video doesn't have the engine/exhaust sound (or much sound).

My company just announced that we are moving our division to a new building, adding 20 miles each way (and 20 minutes on a good day with no traffic), putting me in a situation where I'll now be doing 90 miles round trip or 25,000 a year. Might be time to trade in the regular ATS, get a cheap and fuel efficient beater and then buy the ATS-V for a weekend car!
That sounds like a plan

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My company just announced that we are moving our division to a new building, adding 20 miles each way (and 20 minutes on a good day with no traffic), putting me in a situation where I'll now be doing 90 miles round trip or 25,000 a year.
I drove that for over a year in a Chevy Cruze TD. It was fun only to have to fill up once a week. Now my work is much closer, I only fill up about once every three weeks. When summer arrives, it will be about once a month.....

Ken

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking Volt, but hadn't thought about the Cruze Diesel - that might be a better idea! I have a year until the new building is ready - so I can ponder and test drive.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I was thinking Volt, but hadn't thought about the Cruze Diesel - that might be a better idea! I have a year until the new building is ready - so I can ponder and test drive.
I test drove a Cruze Eco 6 spd manual and that was a fun little car. Great mileage AND fun to drive. If you could charge at work, the Volt may actually be a better deal. Either way, I hope you wind up with a V!

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I test drove a Cruze Eco 6 spd manual and that was a fun little car. Great mileage AND fun to drive. If you could charge at work, the Volt may actually be a better deal. Either way, I hope you wind up with a V!
My current building does have free charging, I suspect the new building will as well. I keep thinking that buying a Volt would have been a much more sensible purchase than my ATS, especially with the free charging.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts

Don't think it's worth it. Unless you're on a lease, I'd keep the ATS. The fuel difference is negligible. Volt would be another story Though. Free fuel is free fuel.

·
Registered
21,361 Posts

Or a new house 40 miles closer?.....................

Don't think it's worth it. Unless you're on a lease, I'd keep the ATS. The fuel difference is negligible. Volt would be another story Though. Free fuel is free fuel.
dslay brings up a good point, you've already "taken the bath" with your ATS, might as well just keep it............

If you got a Volt, would you buy a new or used one? I was actually pondering buying a (used, low mileage and drastically depreciated) 2015 Gen I Volt after the Gen II comes out, they should be going for cheap, especially if gas stays low.

Cruze Diesel might not be a bad idea either, they were knocking $6-7,000 off of 2014's around here a couple months ago.

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I average around 23 to 25 mpg with the ATS 2.0T (mostly highway) so it isn't very fuel efficient, I think I can do a lot better.....

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or a new house 40 miles closer?.....................

dslay brings up a good point, you've already "taken the bath" with your ATS, might as well just keep it............

If you got a Volt, would you buy a new or used one? I was actually pondering buying a (used, low mileage and drastically depreciated) 2015 Gen I Volt after the Gen II comes out, they should be going for cheap, especially if gas stays low.

Cruze Diesel might not be a bad idea either, they were knocking $6-7,000 off of 2014's around here a couple months ago.
I thought about moving closer for about 2 seconds. I live in a wealthy area, with the restriction of where my wife works (in the opposite direction) and where my new building will be are a lot of very expensive towns. To get something closer to work and still be reasonable to my wife's work, a house similar to mine would run $750,000 to over a million - getting a new car every 5 years will be cheaper :)

You are right about the ATS, as I own it I might as well run it into the ground. But since I'd be putting on so many miles the thought of a year old Volt is in my mind. Though I do want to see what the new ones are like, I like the look of it.

If premium stays a little shy of $3 a gallon the ATS will run me around $3,000 a year in gas or $15,000 over 5 years with my new commute..... 8 additional days of my life a year spent commuting.... Sometimes I wish I wasn't a numbers/statistic guy - I'd rather be oblivious to this :)

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
I thought about moving closer for about 2 seconds. I live in a wealthy area, with the restriction of where my wife works (in the opposite direction) and where my new building will be are a lot of very expensive towns. To get something closer to work and still be reasonable to my wife's work, a house similar to mine would run $750,000 to over a million - getting a new car every 5 years will be cheaper :)

You are right about the ATS, as I own it I might as well run it into the ground. But since I'd be putting on so many miles the thought of a year old Volt is in my mind. Though I do want to see what the new ones are like, I like the look of it.

If premium stays a little shy of $3 a gallon the ATS will run me around $3,000 a year in gas or $15,000 over 5 years with my new commute..... 8 additional days of my life a year spent commuting.... Sometimes I wish I wasn't a numbers/statistic guy - I'd rather be oblivious to this :)
Yeah, wife working in the opposite direction, puts a bind in moving...... You said you live in a wealthy area, but houses closer to work would run $750K + I take that is a uber-wealthy area?

Then the next thing you could look at, switching jobs, either you or the wife. I had an employer "move" to a new office; Michigan to Kentucky (about 425 miles south...) I left, taking a demotion, but with a slight increase in pay, looking back I wouldn't change a thing, they came back to there senses and moved most of the jobs back, including my old job, paying me almost double what I was making when I left.

I just hate the idea of a long commute, the worst one I've ever had was 33 miles one-way, but over 20 highway and all opposite traffic flow, it was a rather peaceful drive, only did it 18 months, but man did I rack-up some miles in those 2 years.

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, wife working in the opposite direction, puts a bind in moving...... You said you live in a wealthy area, but houses closer to work would run $750K + I take that is a uber-wealthy area?

Then the next thing you could look at, switching jobs, either you or the wife. I had an employer "move" to a new office; Michigan to Kentucky (about 425 miles south...) I left, taking a demotion, but with a slight increase in pay, looking back I wouldn't change a thing, they came back to there senses and moved most of the jobs back, including my old job, paying me almost double what I was making when I left.

I just hate the idea of a long commute, the worst one I've ever had was 33 miles one-way, but over 20 highway and all opposite traffic flow, it was a rather peaceful drive, only did it 18 months, but man did I rack-up some miles in those 2 years.
Yes, and $750,000 would be a fixer upper.... I've been with my company almost 16 years and really like it, so I'm loath to walk away from it. I'm hoping they off some kind of compensation for those inconvenienced (I could also take the train for part of the commute) - so I'll wait and see what happens before I make any real decisions, the move will take place in the first quarter of 2016, so I have awhile. The other thing that is upsetting is the beauty of my divisions building - one building with 2,000 people in the rolling hills of northern Westchester county. Stunning views, wildlife, etc - be loosing that too.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Driving footage does not resolve its lack of interior space, outrageous price, lack of any luxury appearance, and the fact that you'd be better off with a Shamaro and save the rest to pay for the gas.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
How convenient..... The ATS-V in BMW blue

·
Registered
19,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Surprised the ATS is averaging average miles for such a small car, are you heavy footing the gas or are there just too many inclines and declines on the highway?
If I go on a long highway trip and stick to 55 I can get over 30 mpg's (with hills), but on a normal week I drive ~75% highway (with traffic) and hills and even sticking to 55 I couldn't really do much better. The 25% around town really kills the mpgs - under 18 mpg. Turbo's aren't efficient in the real world.

Then I decided that the car was way to much fun to be cheap on gas :), though it is disappointing that it gets no better than to slightly worse than my past 2008 Malibu LTZ V6 or 2002 Grand Prix GTP.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts