·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Mid-Size Truck Shootout: Colorado vs. Tacoma vs. Frontier + Video
Jan. 07, 2015
By Josh Burns, Photos by Josh Burns and Scott Rousseau, Video by Jay McNally
OFF-ROAD.COM

Stagnant. Boring. Neglected. There are plenty of adjectives that can be used to describe the mid-size truck market the past few years, but “exciting” certainly isn’t one of them. With hardly any manufacturers left in the class, save for Toyota and Nissan, it’s as if the mid-size segment parallels the fading sport of boxing – it once garnered the attention of fans the world over, but now many have left and moved on to something else.

Where some see a dying segment, Chevrolet sees opportunity. Parrying questions and counterpunching the doubters, Chevy looks to deliver a roundhouse kick to the head of the mid-size truck market much like UFC did with professional fighting. UFC could see the potential of mixed martial arts if it presented the right product, and Chevy has that same vision of the mid-size market, and it believes it has constructed a head-turner with the all-new Colorado. Chevy appears to have produced a fighter worthy of entering the mid-size truck Octagon for 2015, and all of the sudden it looks like we have a fight on our hands.

more at the link....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Excellent unbiased review.

No surprise that the newer Colorado dominated in most are area's.

Still need a true off-road pkg. More technology and content as well. At the very least, the same options available on the fullsize models.

Some interesting tech that will be available on the 2016 Tacoma...

2016 Toyota Tacoma
The all-new cabin is ready to rock with hot tech like available Qi wireless charging, Push Button Start and Blind Spot Monitor (BSM). And for the first time, every Tacoma will come standard with a GoPro® mount to help you get all the adventure on video.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I can't edit my reply :brick:brick:brick

Missed a couple....

2016 Toyota Tacoma
The all-new cabin is ready to rock with hot tech like available Qi wireless charging, Push Button Start and Blind Spot Monitor (BSM). And for the first time, every Tacoma will come standard with a GoPro® mount to help you get all the adventure on video, plus rugged, available features like Crawl Control (CRAWL)8 and Multi-terrain Select.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm a truck guy, always had a truck, always will. I use my truck daily for every thing, DD, hauling people and cargo, towing my JD tractor, you name, I use my truck. I started years, and I mean years ago with the s-10, moved to full size, even had a 2012 Colorado. Probably 8 new chevy trucks over the years, including numerous Silverado's. I wanted something midsize, still able to tow my tractor, haul cargo and people, just did not need the size of a full size truck anymore. I was soooo looking forward to the new Colorado. I read all the articles, any piece of news for the new Colorado I was all over it, this was going to be my new truck, without a doubt. I read it was going to have the 3.6 v6, fine with me, good tow rating and decent gas mileage. Starting seeing photo's, looks nice. Auto show pictures came out, damn, that's my new truck. I was pumped. I ventured to my chevy dealer for a test drive. This will be easy, already built one on the web site, color options, knew what I was getting. Have to order? no problem, my 2012 Silverado runs just fine, I can wait.

So test drive time. Guy pulls up a white CC, SB 4x4. Just what I wanted, looks great, my new truck. At least that is what I thought before the test drive. So spent time in it, approximately 25 minutes. I am an average size guy, 5'9", 195. I did not like the seat bottom, too narrow, felt like it was made for a 12 year olds frame, not good. It did not feel good, kind of like sitting on the seat instead of sitting in the seat. I also noticed that the transmission tunnel was pushing my right leg to the left of the gas pedal, something I had never experienced before. I was not fitting in what was supposed to be my new truck, big bummer. I liked the way it drove, good brakes and handled well. I just could not get comfortable in it. I had mentioned this to my salesperson, he said he had heard that about the seat a few times.

Well, I jumped ship after all my Chevrolet's and went with a new Frontier. I like it, drives fine, good brakes and seems to be screwed together well. I only have 2k miles on it, so we will see how it goes.

At least we still have one Chevrolet, our 2013 Equinox, which we love and has been bulletproof so far. And the new Camaro comes out in a little while, so that could get us back to having two Chevy's!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Traitor.

I'm a truck guy, always had a truck, always will. I use my truck daily for every thing, DD, hauling people and cargo, towing my JD tractor, you name, I use my truck. I started years, and I mean years ago with the s-10, moved to full size, even had a 2012 Colorado. Probably 8 new chevy trucks over the years, including numerous Silverado's. I wanted something midsize, still able to tow my tractor, haul cargo and people, just did not need the size of a full size truck anymore. I was soooo looking forward to the new Colorado. I read all the articles, any piece of news for the new Colorado I was all over it, this was going to be my new truck, without a doubt. I read it was going to have the 3.6 v6, fine with me, good tow rating and decent gas mileage. Starting seeing photo's, looks nice. Auto show pictures came out, damn, that's my new truck. I was pumped. I ventured to my chevy dealer for a test drive. This will be easy, already built one on the web site, color options, knew what I was getting. Have to order? no problem, my 2012 Silverado runs just fine, I can wait.

So test drive time. Guy pulls up a white CC, SB 4x4. Just what I wanted, looks great, my new truck. At least that is what I thought before the test drive. So spent time in it, approximately 25 minutes. I am an average size guy, 5'9", 195. I did not like the seat bottom, too narrow, felt like it was made for a 12 year olds frame, not good. It did not feel good, kind of like sitting on the seat instead of sitting in the seat. I also noticed that the transmission tunnel was pushing my right leg to the left of the gas pedal, something I had never experienced before. I was not fitting in what was supposed to be my new truck, big bummer. I liked the way it drove, good brakes and handled well. I just could not get comfortable in it. I had mentioned this to my salesperson, he said he had heard that about the seat a few times.

Well, I jumped ship after all my Chevrolet's and went with a new Frontier. I like it, drives fine, good brakes and seems to be screwed together well. I only have 2k miles on it, so we will see how it goes.

At least we still have one Chevrolet, our 2013 Equinox, which we love and has been bulletproof so far. And the new Camaro comes out in a little while, so that could get us back to having two Chevy's!

·
Registered
525 Posts

Sorry but if you cannot fit in a Modern Vehicle you have to start questioning your body not the vehicles.

Im so sick of hearing complaints like this. Fact GM cannot make seats for everyone they take the average add a bit and that is standard perhaps GM should have an RPO called FAZZ. Which accommodates a huge LazyBoy for people whose height does not match the rest of their weight bio-metrically speaking.

So get your BF Goodrich off road sneakers and hit the trails, then maybe your rear will fit within the seat rails!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Sorry but if you cannot fit in a Modern Vehicle you have to start questioning your body not the vehicles.

Im so sick of hearing complaints like this. Fact GM cannot make seats for everyone they take the average add a bit and that is standard perhaps GM should have an RPO called FAZZ. Which accommodates a huge LazyBoy for people whose height does not match the rest of their weight bio-metrically speaking.

So get your BF Goodrich off road sneakers and hit the trails, then maybe your rear will fit within the seat rails!
Ouch.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm 6', 178# and I too find the new Twins to be a little snug inside personally.
Size is relative, so instead of whining about the GM twins please go to your nearest Toyota & Nissan Dealer with a tape measure and provide evidence about the snug feel of the seats, unless we have all 3 we cannot compare. Plus bucket seats are all the rage, I point at all those who screamed about seats in the Corvette. Now GM has responded and created buckets for all cars/trucks/cuv's and all we get now is my bum wont fit. classic case of do not wish for something because it may come true.

Seriosly though GM should offer an option like they do on Air Planes the option to get a larger or non bucket seat.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Well, aren't you a little girl, guessing around 12 years old?

For the intelligent people that understand that all body types are different, and, paying this type of money for a vehicle, comfort is important. If you are sick of hearing complaints, maybe you should go to one of your girl scout meetings where everything is sunshine and roses.

My post was a post, not a complaint. Just an observation of how I did not end up with a truck that I was looking forward to purchasing, plain and simple. So if a 34 inch waist, (which I assume is smaller than your head) and 5'9" tall makes me too big for a truck, then so be it.

Have a warm and fuzzy day little one.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,392 Posts
I liked the way it drove, good brakes and handled well. I just could not get comfortable in it.
The FIRST thing I check on any vehicle is whether I'm comfortable in the seat. If not, no sale, period. So I'm with you on this. I love the seats in my new Sonic (!) but hey some other person might hate 'em. That's the way it goes. Good luck with your Frontier...and new Camaro someday!

·
Registered
7,419 Posts

GM seems to have this issue with seats. I test drove a Cruze and found the same problem-seat too narrow and not deep enough, felt like I was sitting on a rock. My Balt had the same issue although the seat had lumbar support which made up for it somewhat

I'm 5'9" tall and 170 lbs. I have the same issue with some of GM's seats. They don't put enough attention into seat comfort.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The FIRST thing I check on any vehicle is whether I'm comfortable in the seat. If not, no sale, period. So I'm with you on this. I love the seats in my new Sonic (!) but hey some other person might hate 'em. That's the way it goes. Good luck with your Frontier...and new Camaro someday!
I bought a new 2013 Sonic LTZ hatchback, loved the car and the seats. Unfortunately a full size van killed it by rear ending me while I was stopped in traffic. I have purchased roughly 25 new GM cars and trucks in my lifetime, this is really the first time I had an issue with the seats.

We'll see how the Frontier does, first new non-GM I have ever bought. I like to keep my money at home, as you can tell by how many GM's I have purchased in the past.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

For the record, I'm 5'9" 170 lbs and the Colorado seats are very comfortable as far as I'm concerned, definitely fit "in" the seat. Maybe GM should've designed it more for bigger people though :001_unsure:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Size is relative, so instead of whining about the GM twins please go to your nearest Toyota & Nissan Dealer with a tape measure and provide evidence about the snug feel of the seats, unless we have all 3 we cannot compare. Plus bucket seats are all the rage, I point at all those who screamed about seats in the Corvette. Now GM has responded and created buckets for all cars/trucks/cuv's and all we get now is my bum wont fit. classic case of do not wish for something because it may come true.

Seriosly though GM should offer an option like they do on Air Planes the option to get a larger or non bucket seat.
The GM seats have bolsters that are high which squeezes my thick thighs together and then the center console shifter, well my knee rests against it while in park.
I'm buying one once the Denali diesel is out cause I know I'll get use to it.
But the shape is s little weird. I've had other vehicles with very fitted seats that I loved.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

What BS - The guy is under 200# and who are you to judge what fits him.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
GM seems to have this issue with seats. I test drove a Cruze and found the same problem-seat too narrow and not deep enough, felt like I was sitting on a rock. My Balt had the same issue although the seat had lumbar support which made up for it somewhat

I'm 5'9" tall and 170 lbs. I have the same issue with some of GM's seats. They don't put enough attention into seat comfort.
That's Chevys theme song of the 90's "Like a Rock"

·
Registered
534 Posts
Seat comfort is subjective. Highly subjective. Designers have to play a tough game trying to find the right sweet spot. Too far one direction and the bolsters are too narrow/firm/carved for a large portion of perspective buyers. Too far the other direction and you get flat, hard, thrones that allow fat-bottom girls to overflow the edges but leave thinner buyers squirming.

I sold a 2013 Frontier for that exact reason - the seats were basically just leather-clad boards. I drive 60 miles each way for my commute and my back/butt were killing me. Traded it for an older 4Runner which happens to have quite a bit more curve to the seat and a much taller console.

If it fits, it fits.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Well, aren't you a little girl, guessing around 12 years old?

For the intelligent people that understand that all body types are different, and, paying this type of money for a vehicle, comfort is important. If you are sick of hearing complaints, maybe you should go to one of your girl scout meetings where everything is sunshine and roses.

My post was a post, not a complaint. Just an observation of how I did not end up with a truck that I was looking forward to purchasing, plain and simple. So if a 34 inch waist, (which I assume is smaller than your head) and 5'9" tall makes me too big for a truck, then so be it.

Have a warm and fuzzy day little one.
I'm with you also. We sat in both the GMC and Chevy version of the new trucks at our local auto show this past weekend and also found the front seats too narrow with the forward edge digging into my thigh. And I'm not a huge tall person either. Why is it so damn hard to make comfortable seats these days. Not everybody is a tooth pick!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts