·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hyundai Aslan Luxury Sedan Debuts

www.leftlanenews.com
November 8, 2014
By: Ben Hsu

Hyundai has introduced a new luxury sedan called the Aslan. For sale in its home market of South Korea only, it splits the difference in size between Genesis and the Azera.
Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-aslan.html

Being that most readers here on GMI are likely in the NA market, the aforementioned pricing seems too close to a V-6 Genesis, but in Hyundai's home market the Genesis is not sold at the discount pricing that it is in the US or Canada, so there's likely more of a market.

Here's a video:

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Re: Hyundai's Answer to the Lexus ES

Sigh...

And what's worse.... Hyundai looks to have done a better job.
Agree, JJive. If it weren't for the grilles, Buicks would be even more bland.

Comments two months ago from the peanut gallery, in the article:

مارس الجنس محمد أطفال • 2 months ago
"Splits the difference in size" between the 193.3 inch long Azera, and smaller than the 196.5 inch long 2015 Genesis? Must be an awfully small market to be that finicky.
"Nice car, but it's 1.6 inches too short, and that one's cool but 1.6 inches too long."

This is how the Azera should look, and not like a large last gen Sonata.

Odd name. Means Lion in Turkish.

What do it mean in Korean?

justinthyme3 • 2 months ago
They need to reconsider the name

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts

^^Once again "edit" & "go advanced" functions are akimbo.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I wonder if this could replace the Azera in the American/Canadian market. The Azera even with its solid redesign has not sold well and this might be premium enough to get the higher prices they were hoping to earn with the 2013+ Azera. On the other hand of course, it may be entirely too similar to the Azera and not really sell any better. The other question is whether or not Hyundai still plans that sub-Genesis RWD sedan, as that too would be a premium product for the American market. I am guessing the current Azera will continue on in its current form for the American market. As to the next generation, we'll see. Even the Cadenza has sold better than the Azera I think, despite its higher base price and the fact that Kia has even less experience selling Americans a 30K+ sedan.

Sigh...

And what's worse.... Hyundai looks to have done a better job.
The LaCrosse was new for 2010 and we're getting a new one before too long. Based on the 2014 Impala, I'd say we can expect a sedan very competitive with the segment.

Comments two months ago from the peanut gallery, in the article:

This is how the Azera should look, and not like a large last gen Sonata.

Odd name. Means Lion in Turkish.

What do it mean in Korean?

justinthyme3 • 2 months ago
They need to reconsider the name
The Grandeur was launched as a 2012 model, only a year after the last Sonata, so it's not surprising that it shares the design of the old car. The next one will undoubtedly follow the 2015 Sonata, 2015 Genesis, and 2015 Aslan. But while I'm not crazy about the front, the side and rear of the Grandeur are quite nice IMO.

There's no meaning in Korean TMK. It's simply a borrowed word, like Cadillac using El Dorado (Eldorado). The Korean word for lion is "saja". Like many brands, they simply borrowed the word as they did Genesis, Tuscon, Equus, etc. Not really sure why they'd need to reconsider the name as that comment implies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts