GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

6K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  Envoy4Life 
Agreed. 3 month old Mustang vs 5-6 year old Camaro, this is what should happen. That being said, Ford better have something up it's sleeve for next year. Alpha is a monster platform.
Only thing they really knocked the Camaro on is ride comfort and visibility. Everything else was pretty damn close score wise and it was even faster in the 1/4.

Faster by a tenth, slower by 2 MPH. I'd call that a tie. These two cars are about as close as you can get when it comes to straight up drag racing.

I interpreted the results as basically saying that the Camaro is the best driving car out of the three, but is also the least comfortable and hardest to live with. If the Camaro NG can address those two issues, then the Mustang and Challenger are both dead meat.
ET is what matters. It appears that the Mustang has issue putting the power down with its tires but that makes sense given this was a 1LE.

I wouldnt say least comfortable but the Recaro seats are built for one thing, hold you in the seat, so in day to day driving they can get a bit bulky but they arent that bad.

You're talking 0.1 seconds over a full 1/4 mile. That kind of difference is negligible.

If you want to talk about putting power down, the Mustang absolutely dusts the Camaro past 100 MPH. A 4.8 second difference at 150 MPH is huge. 0.1 seconds at the 1/4 mile mark means that they're pretty much neck and neck.
Look, I'm not saying one isn't fast or not but considering that the GT has both the weight AND power in its corner it still gets beat by the older Camaro. IE, it gets the win light.

And no, 4.8 seconds at 150 MPH is only 6 feet or so. Like you just said, kind of negligible.

Regardless, they will ALL be a drivers race.

Faster by 0.1 tenth, slower by 3 MPH. They're literally neck and neck. A difference like that is too close to call.

One isn't faster than the other through the quarter.
Ok, last time. MPH does NOT matter. At all. Its the E/T. Its about how efficiently one car can put down its power. The Camaro beat the Mustang by .1 tenth. That is a win. That is faster in this test.

MPH will show you the ability of the car and how fast it can potentionally go but in the end, its all about E/T.

And again, 0.1 seconds is NOT a major gap!!! A different driver on the same day with the same car on the same track can erase that difference.
I never said it was a major gap merely that the Camaro was faster, which, by 1/4 standards, it was.

The moral of the story is that the Mustang did not set a new bar for performance despite going IRS, getting more horses and an awesome new interior. There is no shame in that.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I just fail to see how the Mustang is faster in the 1/4 as you state. I dunno, I guess I need to retake my math. 12.9<13.0

As far as excellent? Maybe. The interior is great but the exterior still leaves LOTS to be desired. I still cant get over the rear bumper. That fake diffusor looks pretty bad in certain colors but the side profile looks great. If Ford can update the handling aspect of the car a little bit then itll be even better. I still dont like the driving position though but that is a personal thing and having the parking brake handle on the same side of the driver is a little odd too.

Lets put it this way, Ford HAD to have a good car come out. If they were behind in just a few metrics, fine, but they had to have a much better car than the Camaro and Challenger both of which are over 5+ years old.

Faster by a tenth, slower by 2 MPH. I'd call that a tie. These two cars are about as close as you can get when it comes to straight up drag racing.

I interpreted the results as basically saying that the Camaro is the best driving car out of the three, but is also the least comfortable and hardest to live with. If the Camaro NG can address those two issues, then the Mustang and Challenger are both dead meat.
Umm, where did I say that the Mustang was faster?
Sorry, you said tie. In any event, 12.9<13.0. Still not a tie. :drive::drive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.