·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head Ep. 58

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I love that the Camaro, in its last year in it's current generation, is beating the brand-new Mustang! Four should be worried about the sixth gen!

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I love that the Camaro, in its last year in it's current generation, is beating the brand-new Mustang! Four should be worried about the sixth gen!
Chevrolet over the last Decade and a half has been focused on performance. Since the C5 Z06. Its now the a premier racing brand with the last generation C6 still terrorizing racing teams across the world.

Frankly, the comparison is unfair in a way since they are just not playing at the same leagues anymore, its like LMP1 vs. LMP2.

Remember how the ZR1 took down the Viper with a 10 year old chassis making Ralph Giles then CEO of SRT cry foul at the shock of being whacked by Corvette.

The only brand really that compares is Porsche and even them, in a head to head will not lay down a lap comparable to a Chevrolet. But they are the only people that can engineer a track car at Chevrolet's level currently. Not BMW, not AMG not anyone else.

This effort is paying off, and prices are going to start reflecting that.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Ford is in trouble. Considering the 1LE has been out for 2 years, this is not good. It's going to be worst once the new Alpha Camaro comes out.

·
Banned
228 Posts
So let’s see, Mustang is faster/quicker, he likes the interior more, the seats more, the visibility more, the steering more…..but everything that involves traction (cornering, braking) is better on the car with the better tires.

Well duh.
Meh, Camaro is dialed in pretty good here too, as it is clearly all about the dampening. Something Mustang has not evolved enough with yet. So take that $2,600 you save on the Mustang, and you can get a lot of upgrades, especially better “track-ready” tires like the Camaro and add better shocks too and voila, I bet it closes that gap right up and probably surpasses it.

·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Oh man, this thread is going to get UGLY. :D

That said, I'm surprised at the result. I thought the Mustang would walk away with it. Tires?

From what I gathered, the Mustang is a better car overall, it just needs to be buttoned down a bit more and wear some new shoes.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
So let’s see, Mustang is faster/quicker, he likes the interior more, the seats more, the visibility more, the steering more…..but everything that involves traction (cornering, braking) is better on the car with the better tires.

Well duh.
Meh, Camaro is dialed in pretty good here too, as it is clearly all about the dampening. Something Mustang has not evolved enough with yet. So take that $2,600 you save on the Mustang, and you can get a lot of upgrades, especially better “track-ready” tires like the Camaro and add better shocks too and voila, I bet it closes that gap right up and probably surpasses it.
The thing is, these tires are co developed with Chevrolet. Yes, you can stick them on a Mustang but do not expect same exact results. , but its not a question of just sticking tires off the Shelf with Chevrolet. Its a relationship between Chevrolet and tire manufacturers that come from the race track to the street. Sounds cliche but its true.

The higher trap-speed to the quarter on the mustang is understandable, its got 75 kg less and more horses.. But the Camaro has given up some horses for more torque over the mustang.. the result is a car that is better suited for the track.

Remember the old adage.. Torque wins races but horsepower sells cars?
Oh man, this thread is going to get UGLY. :D
could you grab me some popcorn?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Well duh.
The point is the Ford is brand new and should have handedly won this comparison. Ford knows what competition is and failed to measure up. I can forgive Ford for not putting on 100 tread wear tires, but the suspension tuning is unforgivable. It's the track pack!

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
At the same time, Ford decided on the tires to use on the Performance Pack. I believe the Performance Pack tires are different than stock tires

·
Registered
435 Posts
At the same time, Ford decided on the tires to use on the Performance Pack. I believe the Performance Pack tires are different than stock tires
They are different but nothing special designed specifically for the car, just a better off the shelf set... If the tires were made specifically for the Mustang it would perform better but the track pack on a GT is not the same car as the 1LE which is more track orientated

1LE tires
285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear

track pack
Pirelli 255/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires, front; 19x9.5-inch alloy wheels with Pirelli 275/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires, rear

Mustang needs a bit more spring and shock/strut and a bit more tire, but the 1LE package cost a bit more

And unless these cars are in the hands of a REALLY good driver, you would be a little hard pressed to tell the difference... Both very capable but one is a little more track ready, one a bit more street savvy, pick your poison is all

This has nothing to do with who can better engineer a car at all, it just depends what they wanted to accomplish with the car

·
Banned
228 Posts
Basically, the track pack is not up to snuff. The Mustang really is the better overall car. The Camaro handling package is dialed in better, that much is clear. And let’s be honest, stiffer springs, better dampening and better rubber will make a huge difference on the Mustang.

I suggest not spending the track pack money, and using it along with the thousands already saved over Camaro, and getting a better aftermarket setup. Assuming track times are your priority.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Well duh.
Or, I could live in the real world where I get a $2500 rebate on the Camaro (assuming I get an identical 2014) along with a few bucks off from negotiating that gets me some money ahead of the Mustang. Plus, I get to buy a car now instead of waiting months to get a Mustang at MSRP, or worse, having to pay a dealer mark up to get it now.

Maybe I'll put my money towards erasing that massive .1 deficit in the 1/4. With an LS3 I'm only a few grand away from high 400s rear wheel.

Or I could buy a Mustang that I have to modify to keep up with a stock Camaro any time there's a bend in the road.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
The new Mustang has moved ahead of Camaro in some ways, yet the Camaro remains very competitive. I would expect the GT 350 is remedy the deficiencies vis-a-vis Camaro, then the 2016 Camaro leaps ahead. Each car makes the other better!!!

·
Banned
228 Posts
Or, I could live in the real world where I get a $2500 rebate on the Camaro (assuming I get an identical 2014) along with a few bucks off from negotiating that gets me some money ahead of the Mustang. Plus, I get to buy a car now instead of waiting months to get a Mustang at MSRP, or worse, having to pay a dealer mark up to get it now.

Maybe I'll put my money towards erasing that massive .1 deficit in the 1/4. With an LS3 I'm only a few grand away from high 400s rear wheel.

Or I could buy a Mustang that I have to modify to keep up with a stock Camaro any time there's a bend in the road.
This is all true, if getting in front of the other guy, on a track where pretty much nobody will be driving, is your priority.

Of course, you would be stuck with outdated styling on the exterior, horrible interior design and materials, poor visibility and compromised day to day usefulness.

Go for it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is all true, if getting in front of the other guy, on a track where pretty much nobody will be driving, is your priority.

Of course, you would be stuck with outdated styling on the exterior, horrible interior design and materials, poor visibility and compromised day to day usefulness.

Go for it.
Also for VERY little money, the Mustang can fly in the 1/4... Even the ecoboost with 3.73 gearing, drag radials, downpipe, FRPP tune, and lightweight wheels doing a 12.5, that's a little over a grand in work

Supposedly ford is doing 12.0 flat with radials and a tune on a 5.0, that's damn quick

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
The new Mustang has moved ahead of Camaro in some ways, yet the Camaro remains very competitive. I would expect the GT 350 is remedy the deficiencies vis-a-vis Camaro, then the 2016 Camaro leaps ahead. Each car makes the other better!!!
True, but its still dissapointing that Ford did not make it better in all ways, especially where it matters most. When the 2016 Camaro V8 comes packing close to 500 HP with a direct injection motor, I hope for Ford's sake they will have updated their V8.

Go for it.
Its funny you bring up outdated styling. To me both cars seem to be living in the last century, together with the 911.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Did not see that coming. I thought for sure Ford would have had this hands down. What happens when the next gen Camaro comes out considering the Mustang is already playing catch up with a brand new car?

Note to Ford Engineers, get back to the track and sort that car out!

With all this said, that new Mustang is damn sexy and that interior looks awesome.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts