GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction

We had to wait a long time for this Ford Mondeo. First shown in late 2012 we expected it be launched soon after but it was delayed until later the following year due to the global recession. When Ford closed its factory in Belgium, the Mondeo was once again put back as production was moved to Spain. But finally in 2015 it goes on sale here.

So has it been worth the wait? Well Ford says the two year delay has allowed it to focus on getting the Mondeo perfected for Europe - it's already sold in the US as the Fusion - and the results are certainly impressive. Most notably the quality. Inside the Mondeo has an upmarket feel we've not seen before and it's a cut above the usual family car rivals.

Like the previous Mondeo, this is a big car. In fact it's only slightly shorter than a Jaguar XF but has the same wheelbase as before. Ford has worked wonders with the styling, adding a dash of coupe-like flair to the profile that makes it appear a lot less bulky than the model it replaces.

Yet it still has huge amount of space inside with a massive boot and rear leg room that could rival the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. From behind the wheel it's incredibly refined with superb sound insulation and barely any wind or road noise at speed.

Consequently it's an ideal motorway cruiser helped by economical engines. These include a 1.6 TDCi diesel that emits just 94g/km and will average more than 78mpg according to the official figures.

Intriguingly alongside this will be a 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol. Despite its tiny size, the 125PS unit should give decent performance although it's more likely that the 1.5-litre EcoBoost will prove more popular along with Ford's trusty 2.0 TDCi. For the first time there is also a Mondeo Hybrid although it's only available as a saloon.

Running throughout the latest Mondeo is a feeling of quality previously unseen on any Ford model. This Mondeo could mark a big change in how people perceive the Ford brand and as a family car it's a superb all rounder. The steering isn't quite as sharp as its predecessor but the Mondeo still handles incredibly well given its size. Overall it's head and shoulders above the competition.

What's good
Hugely spacious with a large boot and impressive rear passenger space.
Interior quality feels a cut above the competition.
Very refined with little noise on the move and excellent sound insulation.
Rides very well but not at the expense of handling.

What to watch out for
Hybrid suffers from usual problem of a CVT gearbox and only comes as a saloon.
Diesel engine is somewhat noisy from the outside.
Steering isn't as sharp as the previous Mondeo.

Driving
This Mondeo has a stronger body structure than before yet is actually lighter thanks to features such as the magnesium tailgate. This helps the impressive ride quality which is further enhanced by a new multi-link rear suspension set-up. The result is a superbly absorbing and forgivingly smooth ride that deals impeccably with poor road surfaces.

Another new feature for this Mondeo is specially tuned electric power steering system designed to give a smooth and fluid feel. It's not as sharp as the set-up in the previous Mondeo and as a result it doesn't feel as responsive. Yet the Mondeo still handles very well. There's little in the way of body roll and plenty of reassurance in corners, especially at higher speeds. It also deals incredibly well with sharp changes of direction.

The engine range includes the usual TDCi diesels and EcoBoost petrols from Ford. The most interesting is the 1.0 EcoBoost which arrives in April 2015. It may seem far too small for the Mondeo but with 125PS it delivers performance equivalent to the 1.6 TDCi while claimed economy is 55.4mpg.

Also arriving in April 2015 is a new 1.5 TDCi diesel with 120PS that will be available alongside the 1.6 TDCi engine before eventually replacing it. These are the most economical models in the Mondeo line-up and make ideal company car choices. Both emit just 94g/km of CO2 and average 78.5mpg according to the official figures.

But it's the trusty 2.0 TDCi that will prove most popular and it's easy to see why. With a blend of performance and economy it suits the Mondeo perfectly. The standard model has 150PS but it's the 350Nm of torque which makes it so strong. It's ideal for easy overtaking while at 70mph it's barely having to work. It's very quiet from inside the cabin with no vibration through the pedals or gear lever.

There's a more powerful 180PS version of the 2.0 TDCi that has 400Nm of torque giving it a 0-62mph time of just 8.3 seconds. Like the standard model it comes with a positive and easy-shifting six-speed manual gearbox which is lovely to use, plus there's a PowerShift automatic available.

In April 2015 a four-wheel drive version of the 2.0 TDCi will be introduced and for our money this could be the ultimate Mondeo, especially if you fit winter tyres when the colder weather arrives. It's one car that can rival the Skoda Superb 4x4.

Alongside this, Ford will also have a 2.0 TDCi with 210PS and a PowerShift gearbox as standard. As performance goes this could be a very rapid Mondeo alongside the 2.0 EcoBoost version. With 240PS, the latter is the most powerful model in the range and has a 0-62mph time of 7.9 seconds. However, economy isn't great and in everyday driving we think the 2.0 TDCi will be just as quick,

The other petrol is a 1.5 EcoBoost that is incredibly smooth yet still responsive. With 160PS it has plenty of power but thanks to the fact it's turbocharged it has 240Nm of torque from just 1500rpm. This means it pulls strongly from low down, but without the gruff nature of a diesel. Economy is good at 48.7mpg.

For the first time Ford is also offering a hybrid version of the Mondeo. It's only available as a saloon and is powered by a 2.0-litre petrol engine alongside an electric motor which gives a total power output of 187PS. With fuel economy of 67.3mpg and CO2 of 99g/km it's certainly efficient, but then so is the Mondeo 1.6 TDCi. The Mondeo Hybrid also suffers from the usual problems of hybrid cars fitted with a CVT, meaning noisy acceleration and an unrewarding drive.

Engines

Engine - Average MPG - 0-62 -Top speed -CO2
1.5 EcoBoost 160 - 49 mpg - 9.2 s - 138 mph - 134 g/km
1.5 EcoBoost 160 Automatic - 45 mpg - 9.1 s 133 mph - 146 g/km
1.6 TDCi ECOnetic - 79 mpg -12.1 s - 119 mph - 94 g/km
2.0 EcoBoost - 39 mpg - 7.9 s - 149 mph - 169 g/km
2.0 TDCi 150 - 64 mpg - 9.3 s - 134 mph -115 g/km
2.0 TDCi 150 ECOnetic - 69 mpg - 9.4 s - 134 mph -107 g/km
2.0 TDCi 150 PowerShift - 59 mpg - 9.9 s -132 mph - 125 g/km
2.0 TDCi 180 - 64 mpg - 8.3 s - 140 mph - 115 g/km
2.0 TDCi 180 Powershift - 59 mpg - 8.6 s - 139 mph - 125 g/km

Interior
Ford has worked hard to improve the refinement of the Mondeo and that's immediately obvious when you get behind the wheel. There's barely any engine noise in the cabin, despite the TDCi diesels being quite vocal, thanks to good sound insulation and extra seals between the bonnet and front wings.

Equally, once you're travelling at speed there's a satisfying lack of wind and road noise, helped by thicker rear window glass and specially designed door mirror casings. Even those used to driving premium badged cars will be impressed.

There's a quality present throughout the Mondeo interior that's above anything Ford has produced before. All the materials have a quality feel to them with soft-touch plastics and padding on the dash and door tops. Ford has kept to a simple design with few buttons and an uncluttered look. There are new instrument dials which remain analogue but have a digital display on the inside (inlcuding the needles that indicate speed and revs) giving it a modern edge.

It gets all the basics spot on with a great driving position, plenty of adjustment in the seat and steering column plus a nice weight to the gearshift and clutch pedal. There's a new multifunction steering wheel which is now easier to operate. The addition of an electric parking brake as standard means more room is freed up on the centre console which has two cupholders and a useful cubby integrated into it with an armrest on top.

Storage is excellent with a two-level glovebox, large door pockets and extra stowage behind the swooping central stack. We're not so keen on the Sony stereo design, it looks a little dated already, but the system works well and the large touchscreen in the middle of the dash is easy to use and looks good with a high resolution display.

Along with the quality, what really stands out in the Mondeo is the sheer space. Up front there's acres of room and you can put your seat so far back even six-footers will be able to stretch their legs out. Yet this doesn't come at the expense of rear passenger space. It remains incredibly generous, even with the front seats adjusted all the way back. Only the Skoda Superp can match the Mondeo for rear room.

The boot is equally as impressive. There's 550 litres of luggage room and the tailgate lifts up to reveal a wide opening with a low load lip. Even with a full size spare fitted as oppose to a tyre repair kit, there is still 458 litres of load space.

Another new feature being debuted on the Mondeo are inflatable rear seat belts. This is essentially a small airbag integrated into the seatbelt strap, expanding in just 40 milliseconds in the event of an accident. It's designed to disperse the force of an impact across a body five times greater than a standard seatbelt.

Standard equipment:

Style models come with 16-inch alloy wheels, DAB, Thatcham category 1 alarm, dual zone climate control, cruise control, Ford Sync 2 with 8-inch colour touchscreen, electric front windows, Isofix in rear seats, hill start assist, LED rear lights and an electric parking brake.

Zetec adds bodycolour bumpers and side mouldings, chrome window surrounds, Quickclear heated front windscreen, electric rear windows, front fog lights, cruise control with speed limiter, height and lumbar adjust on passenger seat, rear seat hatch.

Titanium comes with 17-inch alloy wheels, engine start button, sports seats, DAB navigation system, automatic headights, rain sensing wipers, traffic sign recognition, lane keeping aid, auto dimming rearview mirror, ambient lighting and TFT instrument cluster display.

Titanium X gets dynamic LED headlights, leather seats, 10-way power front seats, heated front seats, keyless entry and privacy glass.

LINK

US Ford Fusion finally arrives a little bit late in Europe, the frugal diesel that averages 78 MPG looks like a winner., the gasoline hybrid cost £4,000 more and averages just 67 MPG. Looks like Ford has two new winners on its books in Europe the new Mustang & Mondeo. 3 cylinder 1.0L Ecoboost just seems a little bit underpowered for such a large car to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Interior
Ford has worked hard to improve the refinement of the Mondeo and that's immediately obvious when you get behind the wheel.

There's a quality present throughout the Mondeo interior that's above anything Ford has produced before. All the materials have a quality feel to them with soft-touch plastics and padding on the dash and door tops.
I wonder if they mean that the interior is a vast improvement over the last Mondeo or if the model they get in Europe has better materials/fit n' finish than the Fusion we get here in the U.S. market? Assuming NAFTA customers get a "dumbed down" version of the interior (and I don't know the answer to that), I could imagine both statements being true.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wonder if they mean that the interior is a vast improvement over the last Mondeo or if the model they get in Europe has better materials/fit n' finish than the Fusion we get here in the U.S. market? Assuming NAFTA customers get a "dumbed down" version of the interior (and I don't know the answer to that), I could imagine both statements being true.
US Fusion interior looks much the same sort of interior thats used in the new 2015 EU Mondeo to me.

Fusion

Mondeo

So Ford USA deserve a lot of the credit for turning around what has been a rather dull SSsss-Factor looking Mondeo in Europe thats been haemorrhaging sales big time in Europe. It's nice to see Ford adding a bit more Aston Martin mojo X-Factor into the Mondeo in the styling department.

Ford have also moved Mondeo production out of very expensive Belgium, to much cheap low labor cost Spain, which has allowed it to open up a price difference between BMW 3 Series and the new Ford Mondeo, they used to be very close in price you could buy a base model BMW 3 series for less than than a fully loaded Mondeo, looking at the price lists of the 2015 Mondeo there is now a clear price space between the two, which will mean some that were considering a BMW might now start looking at the stunning Mondeo, now that Ford of Europe have shifted production to a lower cost base part of Europe.

I expect the new Mondeo fortunes will now improve a lot, and start moving up the EU sales charts rather rapidly from the very low No 80 position it finished up in 2013 in Europe.

Nice to see Ford USA producing a winner for the EU.

Reactions: Jesda and paul8488

·
Registered
799 Posts
Drove the US version (2.0 turbo) as a rental, really nice car for a large tail dragger it won't face much real competition here (except for idiots who buy Camry , because they are Toyota).

I better start saving (sedan for me hatch not as good looking).

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Of course we don't get a sweet hatch like Europe does (same for the Insignia/Regal hatch

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's sure to mean - compared to the outgoing European Mondeo.

Generally, market demand in Europe requires higher quality trim level on mainstream cars than that regarded as acceptable in other global markets - but I don't know what the "One Ford" policy is on this issue.

It'll be interesting to see how comparative tests with Insignia go.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Good news. Hopefully Opel will raise the bar for the Insignia in order to compete. Which will be good for us all.

I seem to remember Top Gear giving the previous/current Mondeo great praise when new as well, best car for whatever year.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
What a fugly FWD boat. I thought the styling tacked on the front of the FG looked awful. It looks worse on this barge. The wheels look like 14" copies of 2001 Monaro rims.

God help Ford in Australia. This is not going to tank here, it's like the Shermans the allies tried to land at D-Day. It's going to the seabed before it even arrives. Apart from the wde-mouth frog look, it looks like a ten year old Mazda.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Give US crybabies the hatches they want and EU-crybabies a V6. More and more people in Europe complain they want a 'real' engine in Mondeo not another diesel or ecoboost.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,499 Posts
Of course we don't get a sweet hatch like Europe does (same for the Insignia/Regal hatch
Agreed.
Give US crybabies the hatches they want and EU-crybabies a V6. More and more people in Europe complain they want a 'real' engine in Mondeo not another diesel or ecoboost.
I guess GM isn't the only one who tends to not get it or maybe "get it right" could be another way to put it. I kind of like the new Ford front design language but it seems overwhelming on this, or at least in this shot of it.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Who are these "more and more people"?

They aren't company car drivers, who make up the bulk of Mondeo users, because they'd be taxed out of existence by bigger engines. They aren't ordinary private owners who just want big space for minimum money. They might be petrolheads, but they wouldn't be seen dead in a Mondeo.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
I think the usa fusion 2 liter turbo is a better car than what Europe gets....

The rear of the car show in the first post looks less than ideal.

I feel bad the Europeans have to suffer with such weak acceleration.....

That would not go over well here in the states.......

Glad fords moved to a low cost production facility.....that's a smart move.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I feel bad the Europeans have to suffer with such weak acceleration.....

That would not go over well here in the states.......
Take 10% off the EU acceleration times before comparing EU with US - EU times are always 0-100kph, evenm on UK models, which translates to 0-62mph - the nature of physics laws means it takes 10% longer to get to 62 than 60.

In any case, virtually all cars in Europe are geared for economy, not performance.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Take 10% off the EU acceleration times before comparing EU with US - EU times are always 0-100kph, evenm on UK models, which translates to 0-62mph - the nature of physics laws means it takes 10% longer to get to 62 than 60.

In any case, virtually all cars in Europe are geared for economy, not performance.
3 Cylinder 1.0L Ecoboost sounds like one very under powered slooooow Mondeo Rupert, it's such a tiny A4 paper sized small engine Ford could have fitted in the glove box.

Reactions: steve333

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
The 1.0 Ecoboost is intended as the fuel economy model, no more no less.

It'll have 125bhp and wide turbo'd torque curve - when you think back that some of the Pinto-engined Cortina's and Capri's only had 54bhp and little torque ......

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The 1.0 Ecoboost is intended as the fuel economy model, no more no less.

It'll have 125bhp and wide turbo'd torque curve - when you think back that some of the Pinto-engined Cortina's and Capri's only had 54bhp and little torque ......
What about the little turbocharged 1.3L Kent Crossflow used in the Zakspeed Capri it still holds the 3rd fasted Ford time around the Nurburging only bettered by Lauda & Hunt in F1 Ford cars.

The little 1970's 1.3 Kent Crossflow produced 495 brake horse power and a top speed of 186 MPH, the RWD Zakspeed Ford Capri set a 7:08.59 something that will never happen a in a 2015 FWD Mondeo ever.

What is the fastest time any FWD car or a FWD Mondeo has ever done round the Nurburing Rupert just interested?

·
Premium Member
11,343 Posts
The fact that Ford prioritized the closure of Genk over release of the new Mondeo shows that controlling costs far outweighs the delivery of this new car. No doubt, it has a lot of rolling improvements under the skin as wella s the new corporate styling, I don't see it making that much of a dent in European or global sales.

Conversely, I managed to see the current Holden Malibu in traffic almost side by side with an Insignia, If that is the styling direction Holden is heading into, it could work well for them in raising the perception of today's blech showroom styling.

Once Local manufacturing goes in Australia , I see the wheels falling off sales for both Ford and Holden, there's nothing in the showrooms that jumps out as compelling over other imports.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts