GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Andrew P. Collins Truck Yeah

Don't wait for the EPA's lab results, we've got real-world fuel economy figures from the 2015 Ford F-150 with its new 2.7 EcoBoost engine. Here's how we did driving like a granny, driving like a maniac, and everything in between.
XLT SuperCrew (full four-door crew cab) 2WD with road tires. No cargo, four people onboard.

Test 1: Doing my darnedest to squeeze every drop out of the tank: 23.5 MPG over about 50 miles of 70% rolling hill highways, 30% windy dirt roads.

Test 2: Same truck as above, Doug DeMuro driving at a normal pace: 18.1 MPG over about 40 miles of 100% windy backroads (mostly paved).
Lariat SuperCrew 4WD with the FX4 Off-Road package, driven in 2WD only on all-terrain tires. No cargo, four people onboard.

Test 1: 16.6 MPG over 75 miles mixed between backroads and rolling hill highways. A few blats at full throttle.

Test 2: 16.9 MPG with Doug driving 47.5 miles of the same kind of terrain

Based on what I saw today, I reckon 18 MPG will be doable in true mixed driving even in a 4WD truck. Driving carefully, even 20 shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you can stay clear of stopped traffic. But get your boot into it, use a lot of four-wheel drive, or start hauling luggage, and I imagine you're going to start dipping into the mid-teens.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-150-2-7-ecoboost-full-crew-cab-is-capable-o-1640936718

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$350 to 10k price increase, quote from Ford.
XL: Base price increases $395

New standard equipment includes:
•2.3-inch display in gauge cluster
•4.2-inch LCD with MyFord for audio system
•Telescoping steering wheel
•Two additional speakers
•Driver's grab handle

XLT: Base price increases $395

Adds on to XL:
•Power tailgate lock
•BoxLink bed configuration system

Lariat: Base price increases $895

Adds to XLT:
•8-inch LCD gauge cluster (replaces analog gauges)
•LED cargo box lighting
•Heated and cooled front seats
•Rearview camera
•Power folding mirrors

King Ranch: Base price increases $3,615

Adds to Lariat:
•LED headlights and taillights
•LED mirror spotlights
•Power remote tailgate release
•Two 400-watt power outlets
•Blind spot warning with cross-traffic alert
•Push-button start
•Heated rear seats and steering wheel

Platinum: Base price increases $3,055

Adds to King Ranch:
•Inflatable rear seatbelt airbags
•Multicontour massaging front seats

The biggest price jump comes for the King Ranch, with a surprising $3,615 increase to the truck's base price. Ford spokesman Mike Levine says that this represents $4,500 worth of additional content. In addition, PickupTrucks.com has learned what choosing some of the optional engines will add to the sticker price of a new 2015 F-150.

When you purchase your 2015 F150 for that added $10,000-the real $3,615 for the largest trim increase just send me a check for the difference...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/ford-releases-pricing-for-2015-f-150.html

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being that it's a turbo they should be able to get impressive mpg's for the EPA testing, so I bet they will get a much higher EPA rated amount than these guys got. This will allow the Ford marketing machine to advertise great mpg's, but we will be hearing complaints left and right that no one can achieve them.
4 guys in a crew cab truck in hilly country matches Ford claim of 5-20% gain seems to be in line.....What were people expecting a 30 MPG truck?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why would anyone think this? They were brake launching to pre spool the turbos. 400 ft is about exactly the idiotic distance I would expect someone to use for a drag race where they were attempting to show a torque/gearing advantage. Increasing the distance would have resulted in the turbo'd ford motors losing most of the matchups.
We will see comparison tests soon enough. But from what I have read it looks like the 2.7EB can take the 5.3V8 in a 0-60 and combined fuel economy. It that kinda info matters to you.....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So you mean for 1 mpg on an EPA rating I can get an excellent E85 optional use factor, likely the same or better mpg in the real world while on regular gasoline all the time w/o premium ever - never worry about a turbo gas or diesel , and have a steel bodied truck while avoiding the five story tall Beta testing ?

Where do I sign up ?????
Close you have to worry about DI coking and AFM....both trucks have trade off's.......Just don't crash the Ford....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just teasing - well, sorta'.

Anyway, has anyone done the obvious and properly ranged the old numbers behind the 14 posted numbers times 5 to 20 % ?

That is the entire map of possibles - unless some of the verbiage is off.
No Chevy/GMC owners will sell their trucks to run out and by this new Ford no matter how good it is. This is more about Cafe and getting Ford customers to pay more for their trucks. Have to keep those ATP rising.....Stuff more technology etc etc. Both Ford and GM have enough existing customers on the road in their old trucks, the issue is building a new truck that is compelling enough to get them to trade up to the shiny new version......GM has had a tough time getting their customers a reason to trade up! Time will tell if this new F150 will get the Ford boys to trade up.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.