GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Andrew P. Collins Truck Yeah

Don't wait for the EPA's lab results, we've got real-world fuel economy figures from the 2015 Ford F-150 with its new 2.7 EcoBoost engine. Here's how we did driving like a granny, driving like a maniac, and everything in between.
XLT SuperCrew (full four-door crew cab) 2WD with road tires. No cargo, four people onboard.

Test 1: Doing my darnedest to squeeze every drop out of the tank: 23.5 MPG over about 50 miles of 70% rolling hill highways, 30% windy dirt roads.

Test 2: Same truck as above, Doug DeMuro driving at a normal pace: 18.1 MPG over about 40 miles of 100% windy backroads (mostly paved).
Lariat SuperCrew 4WD with the FX4 Off-Road package, driven in 2WD only on all-terrain tires. No cargo, four people onboard.

Test 1: 16.6 MPG over 75 miles mixed between backroads and rolling hill highways. A few blats at full throttle.

Test 2: 16.9 MPG with Doug driving 47.5 miles of the same kind of terrain

Based on what I saw today, I reckon 18 MPG will be doable in true mixed driving even in a 4WD truck. Driving carefully, even 20 shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you can stay clear of stopped traffic. But get your boot into it, use a lot of four-wheel drive, or start hauling luggage, and I imagine you're going to start dipping into the mid-teens.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-150-2-7-ecoboost-full-crew-cab-is-capable-o-1640936718

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
You know, the lead up to new Ford product is more fun here @ GMI than well, you know.

Perhaps..... we need a song for the occasion ?

Probably a little sweeter to listen to in certain * cough * other Pick Up Cabs....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
So much for the turbo hype...no better than any of the Ecotec3 powerplants.

·
Registered
20,975 Posts
Being that it's a turbo they should be able to get impressive mpg's for the EPA testing, so I bet they will get a much higher EPA rated amount than these guys got. This will allow the Ford marketing machine to advertise great mpg's, but we will be hearing complaints left and right that no one can achieve them.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$350 to 10k price increase, quote from Ford.
XL: Base price increases $395

New standard equipment includes:
•2.3-inch display in gauge cluster
•4.2-inch LCD with MyFord for audio system
•Telescoping steering wheel
•Two additional speakers
•Driver's grab handle

XLT: Base price increases $395

Adds on to XL:
•Power tailgate lock
•BoxLink bed configuration system

Lariat: Base price increases $895

Adds to XLT:
•8-inch LCD gauge cluster (replaces analog gauges)
•LED cargo box lighting
•Heated and cooled front seats
•Rearview camera
•Power folding mirrors

King Ranch: Base price increases $3,615

Adds to Lariat:
•LED headlights and taillights
•LED mirror spotlights
•Power remote tailgate release
•Two 400-watt power outlets
•Blind spot warning with cross-traffic alert
•Push-button start
•Heated rear seats and steering wheel

Platinum: Base price increases $3,055

Adds to King Ranch:
•Inflatable rear seatbelt airbags
•Multicontour massaging front seats

The biggest price jump comes for the King Ranch, with a surprising $3,615 increase to the truck's base price. Ford spokesman Mike Levine says that this represents $4,500 worth of additional content. In addition, PickupTrucks.com has learned what choosing some of the optional engines will add to the sticker price of a new 2015 F-150.

When you purchase your 2015 F150 for that added $10,000-the real $3,615 for the largest trim increase just send me a check for the difference...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/ford-releases-pricing-for-2015-f-150.html

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being that it's a turbo they should be able to get impressive mpg's for the EPA testing, so I bet they will get a much higher EPA rated amount than these guys got. This will allow the Ford marketing machine to advertise great mpg's, but we will be hearing complaints left and right that no one can achieve them.
4 guys in a crew cab truck in hilly country matches Ford claim of 5-20% gain seems to be in line.....What were people expecting a 30 MPG truck?

·
Banned
228 Posts
From Motortrend:

"To demonstrate all of this, Ford set up a little 400-foot drag race where we could sample said competitors back-to-back (all four-door cabs with rear- or four-wheel drive matched across like competitors), and indeed the top result for the 3.5-liter EcoBoost was a 5.5 seconds (set by yours very truly), while the best Chevy 6.2-liter time was 5.9, and the top Ram Hemi result was 6.3. Results for the lesser comparisons were not posted, but the rump-o-meter suggested that the 2.7 EcoBoost easily paced the torquier EcoDiesel (sounding remarkably similar in its engine note), while the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 seemed to run away from the 5.3-liter Chevy. Only the Ram 3.6 seemed as quick as or quicker than the 3.5-liter base Ford six."

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I rented a 2WD Chevy Silverado 4.3 crew cab, I easily got between 18 and 22 mpg with a lot of city and traffic driving in addition to freeway driving, plug the truck only had 25 miles on it when I first got it. This Ecotec engine was thrifty!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.