·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Ford Edge Holds Line on Pricing, Starts at $28,100
Autoblog
November 4, 2014
By: Chris Bruce

UPDATE: Between the initial launch and now, Ford has decided to no longer include the Adaptive Steering system as standard equipment on Edge Sport. It's now part of the optional Driver's Package for Sport and Titanium models. Also, Ford has issued a corrective statement clarifying that the 2015 Edge Sport is priced at $500 more than the 2014 Sport trim, not $500 more than the 2015 base model. That makes its price $38,100, plus destination. Both facts have been changed in the text to reflect this.

The Ford Edge gets an updated platform, bolder styling and a standard 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost engine pumping out 245 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque for the 2015 model year. You might expect that all those new features would result in a big price bump, but you'd be wrong. Ford is keeping costs identical to the 2014 model with a starting MSRP of $28,100 (*plus an $895 destination charge), according to Edmunds. Ford spokesperson William Mattiace confirmed the numbers to Autoblog.

That's a pretty good deal, but the real ticket here might be the model's Sport trim. Buyers get a 2.7-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 EcoBoost engine with over 300 horsepower for $38,100 plus destination. That's just $500 more than the 2014 Sport model.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Nice car, but I just wish it wasn't so ugly.
Not my cup of tea, either but it doesn't matter. It will sell in huge numbers.

It must be difficult to design CUV's and SUV's in general. The overall shape is limiting and the best anyone can do is give theirs a special/ wierd/ unusual front-end.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
My sister has a 2014 and she's already looking at this one to trade for next year. Is this or the MKC.

GLA is too small and GLK is old. BTW, I saw a GLA45 with the pkg that includes the spoilers and other thing and let me tell you, it looks awesome! Looks like the A45 AMG, it's a super hot hatch and I love it. Too bad it's so expensive here(almost $90K!) for what it is.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
I'm sure this will be one of the best in the segment, but I'm not sold on the styling in pictures. I'll wait to see it IRL. On the plus side, it shouldn't be too difficult for the MKX to look notably better, which despite how much I like the MKZ, was no small feat when you started with the impressive Fusion.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Really not a fan of the ford edge. Glad they held the line on pricing.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
So it will have 20 hp more than my Srx and 90 lb ft more tq at a lower rpm. The thing should scoot. Especially when compared to the last gen Sport 3.7l which was actually slower than the 3.5l due to the heavy 22" wheels.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Outstanding design , fits into the market segment beautifully . Very good greenhouse with straight through lines , no GM gimmicky styled up rear quarter windows and rear window that limits vision . The width of these vehicles surpasses the Equinox , by several inches to create a more spacious seating area . The killer is the hot 2.7 l turbo of 300hp . Ford does this with its lines , offer an up scale model that is hot with enhanced handling that attracts the younger generation to their products . This was done with the Fiesta and Focus , part of what made them number one in Europe and one of the top sellers in America . This is simple 101 business technique , offer a model in its segment that is a trending conservative design with " smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside " approach ...with a roomy open interior with great engine options and handling and you too can have a winner . I think this size and offering will be in the top ten in sales along with the Ford Escape , who is already there and which , I feel , mimics the the best seller in America , the Honda CR-V . Why reinvent the wheel , just offer better engine choices , with enhanced handling and performance options . The General still plays a catch up game that is intolerable , a ponderous over managed bureaucracy , whose idea of hot often seems to be to raise the beltline , lower the roofline , I know , like the Camaro , perhaps ?? Look at all the recent Cadillac retro look models in this forum , talk about visibility issues ! What a waste of time , why not live in the real world where the average Jane and Joe America are spending the most money on vehicles . For the love of the Lord , lets get excited about the trending marketplace and how to offer some real lasting competition to manufacturers out there that are offering some amazing values and designs . The Jeep CUV , SUV styles , the Ford ones , Honda , Toyota , Nissan , Hyundai , Kia , the Germans ,,,,its enough to keep any competitor awake nights . It appears , though , the General is sleeping well , nighty night !

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Nice car, but I just wish it wasn't so ugly.
Wow! Ugly is such a strong term for the styling on this. I find nothing offensive about it or anything out of proportion. To each his own.

Agree. It's an egg on wheels. I guess there are econoboxes with worse proportions, but this is one of the worst. I wish people would embrace the Flex, which isn't all that much more $, but the Ford Egg(dge) has that me-too-cuv dynamic that's like a magnet for MOA (moms of america).
Maybe it's the color that makes you think egg. It's hardly that rounded. The Flex's styling is very polarizing. It's a good vehicle but it is the antithesis of an ovoid vehicle; it is a box with a smaller box attached to it. To each his own.

You think so? I think the MKX (at least in concept form) looks far better:

I like them both and the big styling difference shows that their missions are quite different. Smart move, Ford.

This is a solid entry for the Segment. In my head, this is playing with Murano Loaded Equinox and Denali Terrain on the lower end and at the high end SRX and RX
Maybe the Murano as it has some size to it, but the Equinox and Terrain are too small to compete directly IMO. Then again, they might be too big to compete directly against the Escape. As for the Terrain, that's a vehicle I would call ugly. The huge fender flairs belong on a much bigger vehicle. Everything about its exterior styling and trim looks disproportionate to its relatively small size. The Equinox looks loads better, but its styling is getting a bit long in tooth.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Maybe the Murano as it has some size to it, but the Equinox and Terrain are too small to compete directly IMO. Then again, they might be too big to compete directly against the Escape. As for the Terrain, that's a vehicle I would call ugly. The huge fender flairs belong on a much bigger vehicle. Everything about its exterior styling and trim looks disproportionate to its relatively small size. The Equinox looks loads better, but its styling is getting a bit long in tooth.
I agree

·
Premium Member
11,343 Posts
And a while back, some were saying that Ford had too many utilities in it line up,
I think that's why the sales are spread around and actually, more important
than car sales - trucks and Utilities is where most of the money is these days
because thanks to CAFE, it's easier to make more trucks/Utes and less cars..

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
My sister is in the middle of a lease of her second Ford Edge. She obviously really liked the first, hence going back for a second one. However, this one is having all kinds of electrical problems (headlights go out while driving, windows work intermittently, trouble starting vehicle, etc.), with the vehicle being back to the dealer now 4 times in 5 months... Apparently, both the Edge and current Explorer are having electrical issues, and it's well known to Ford, according to the dealer's service writer. Hopefully, that gets resolved with the new models...

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I look at a CUV, the first thing I examine is its proportions - height/width/length ratios. Most are too tall and tippy, or to short (making it look like an awkwardly tall station wagon). I think the proportions of the new Flex are right on the money.

The other one with spot on proportions is the new Volvo XC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts