GM Inside News Forum banner

2015 Colorado option order flexibility

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rfross 
#1 ·
I'd really like it if GM would move to a more a la carte option ordering structure where possible. Using the Costco Auto website pricing engine I priced out a new 2015 Colorado extended cab WT. I want a Colorado WT with the carpet and rear seat delete and a sliding rear window. While it appears the carpet and rear seat delete is an available option for the WT the sliding rear window is not. A sliding rear window requires an upgrade to the LT model which I don't want. Even if I was willing to move up to an LT the carpet and rear seat delete option isn't available on that model.

How hard is it to offer carpet and rear seat delete along with a sliding rear window on the WT? Is there a technical reason all three of these options cannot be had on the WT or is it simply marketing and an attempt to drive potential buyers into higher priced vehicles?

Out of the choices available to me it looks like the simplest solution is to order a WT with the carpet and rear seat delete and then turn to the aftermarket for the sliding rear window.

#2 ·
Unfortunately, this is the way the auto market has been moving for quite a while now. GM has followed the Japanese in their packaging of "option groups" instead of stand-alone options. Back when I ordered my '07 Saturn Aura XR, if you wanted a leather interior, you had to also order a sunroof, which is ridiculous. With the Aura's replacement, the current Buick Regal, leather is standard, but if you want the Driver Confidence package, you must also order a sunroof. Again, ridiculous.

But there is hope. GM recently changed some Cadillac packages and will offer some options a la carte instead of just in packages. The full size trucks also now offer items such as heated seats as a stand-alone option, which once upon a time were just available in a package. Perhaps if enough of us keep complaining, they will respond and keep unrelated options separate instead of wrapping them into a "one size fits all" option package.

#3 ·
Perhaps if enough of us keep complaining, they will respond and keep unrelated options separate instead of wrapping them into a "one size fits all" option package.
And that's exactly why I posted this - hoping to get the attention of someone at GM.

And if GM is listening I'd also like to be able to get SiriusXM on the Colorado WT. Currently that feature is only available on the LT and above models.

#7 ·
The WT is there for the fleet buyers. That's literally the sole reason it's on the parking lot. After sitting in one today it's pretty cheap all around and a no frills truck. I can see why they just want to get them off the line as fast as they can.
They don't come off the line any faster. Takes the same amount of time to install a thicker floor sound deadener for the LTZ as it does a thin one for a W/T.
Same amount of time to install a rear slider vs fixed window, difference will be if it is a power slider and needs a different wire harness. Same with deep solar ray tinted windows, they used to be available on LS trim levels but now you can't.

#6 ·
Unfortunately GM's stubborn and you'll have to handle the rear window addition yourself. Wonder if a windshield replacement business could put the sliding rear window in..

#11 ·
It looks like the simplest solution for me is to order the WT with the carpet and rear seat delete options and then go to a local glass shop to have the sliding rear window installed. I just find it silly why they would not offer a rear slider right off the line in the base trucks.

My other option, and it's a viable one, is to purchase a RAM regular cab 1500 where I can get a rear slider and no carpet and SiriusXM on the base Tradesman model and be reasonably close in price to the Colorado. RAM makes it possible for me to order EVERY option I want on the base Tradesman truck.

A Colorado extended cab 4x4 WT with V6 and options (less the rear slider and SiriusXM) comes to $30,280 MSRP while a RAM Tradesman regular cab long box 4x4 comparably equipped but with a rear slider and SiriusXM comes in at $33,775. That extra $3,500 buys a larger truck that seats three across. The RAM's rated towing capacity is less than the Colorado's but is not a deal breaker for me. Fuel economy is close enough to be a wash IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.