·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest on GM's new trucks.
www.GMInsideNews.com
March 11, 2013
By: Nick Saporito

Just about every detail of General Motors’ 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups is already known, except when they will arrive on dealership lots. According to dealership sources, the new trucks should begin to arrive in late May, but not all engines and variations will be available out the gate.

GM is expected to utilize a phased rollout of the new trucks, much like it did with the GMT-900s several years ago. Sources say the crew cabs will begin showing up in late May or early June, while extended cab and regular cab versions will follow several weeks behind.

The new trucks will eventually be available with three all-new engines—aptly named EcoTec3, however, only the high-volume 5.3-liter V-8 will be on lots when the trucks arrive in late spring. Sources state the 4.3-liter V-6 will arrive about two months after the initial launch while the hefty 6.2-liter V-8 will not launch until the fourth quarter of this year.

Besides the trucks’ arrival dates, two other key elements are still hidden – power figures and pricing. GM is expected to publish horsepower and torque figures when the media drive the new trucks in the next couple of months.

Dealer sources also state that GM will release 2014 Silverado and Sierra pricing later this month. Prices are expected to stay near the 2013 models, which in recent weeks have seen a mid-model year hike.

Although GMI drove the new trucks late last year at GM’s proving grounds, driving impressions are embargoed until later this year. Expect full reviews of the Silverado and Sierra later this spring.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I'm sure the 5.3L V8 will be the volume leader but I hate that GM can't offer more than a single engine option at launch.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Son of a witch. We need that power & fuel economy info NOW. The Rams at my local dealer are looking dang good. The only thing missing from them is the 8-speed automatic.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Son of a witch. We need that power & fuel economy info NOW. The Rams at my local dealer are looking dang good. The only thing missing from them is the 8-speed automatic.
I agree, I don't know if I want to say its crazy..or just stupid..that GM showed off the trucks already what...a couple months ago...but they are still delaying releasing specs. Sure, they can do what they want and it may not have a big impact on sales...but it is just annoying.

This has the feeling of the old GM "engineering by press release", where the perception was GM was behind in technology...so they tell us what is coming...but then keep pushing the date back and back.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just like the Malibu...staggered start. I want to slap somebody at HQ! Bring out the freakin numbers already. They aren't going to make or break this truck- many minds are already made up whether they want it or not.

Stupid.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I thought I had seen a story saying we'd get the HP and economy figures in MARCH - now it's going to be "the next couple of months" but that's April and May. So we won't know the figures until they are already being sold?
"GM is expected to publish horsepower and torque figures when the media drive the new trucks in the next couple of months."

I guess they're hoping you'll forget to care when you shop them on the lots. I don't understand what the big secret is about this truck- the "game-changing" style is a huge letdown, and I'm expecting the stats to be just as underwhelming.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
GM's buidling up the suspense. Hopefully the end product is not a M. Knight Shalaman flop. As you were.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
GM's buidling up the suspense. Hopefully the end product is not a M. Knight Shalaman flop. As you were.
Hey Sixth Sense was pretty good. :)

They will have more power, more efficiency, more content, more refinement...than the outgoing model. That is certain. Where that will fall amongst the competition we'll find out soon, but I'm guessing as good as the current F-150, not as good as the new RAM.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
i think this holding back of info has a lot to do with not letting the competition know what's coming. The rivals basically have nothing to study at this point because they dont know any more than we know. It kind of makes sense to drop all the detailed specs right before advertising starts, it limits the competition's ability to counter act. If they released specs in Decemeber ford and Ram would've been working on ways to one up the GM trucks with their 2014 trucks immediately.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If GM jumped the gun and released class leading specifications, GMT-900 truck sales would diminish and dealers will not be happy. GM needs unload the huge supply of trucks before they do anything with the K2XX trucks.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I'm sure the 5.3L V8 will be the volume leader but I hate that GM can't offer more than a single engine option at launch.
SeetheUSA said:
Just like the Malibu...staggered start. I want to slap somebody at HQ!
This. Absolutely mind-blowing that the launch of this much anticipated truck is going to have limited cab/bed and engine options.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i think this holding back of info has a lot to do with not letting the competition know what's coming. The rivals basically have nothing to study at this point because they dont know any more than we know. It kind of makes sense to drop all the detailed specs right before advertising starts, it limits the competition's ability to counter act. If they released specs in Decemeber ford and Ram would've been working on ways to one up the GM trucks with their 2014 trucks immediately.
Well...Ram does have the upcoming Diesel, 8-speed transmission, aero aids, airbag suspension, GM has none of those. As for Ford, their engines are appearing to be more powerful and advanced, so is the interior. Only thing GM has not released are the power figures and mileage, which are closely tied to each other. I'm guessing nothing better than what Ford and Ram already have, but tying them.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
If GM jumped the gun and released class leading specifications, GMT-900 truck sales would diminish and dealers will not be happy. GM needs unload the huge supply of trucks before they do anything with the K2XX trucks.
And the thing is, if they dump a bunch of 900s on the market demand will be all that much softer when the K2x finally comes on line.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Do you really not think that the info has not made it to the other manufacturers yet? I'm quite certain there are moles working within each maker that feed all this info to the others.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So when is the next "complete REDO" of the GM trucks coming??? To my untrained eye, I don't see much difference to the last style!?!?!?!

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Do you know when the Tahoe/Yukon will be updated?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You know what baffles me the most about these trucks? They seem to use completely different fender designs, yet the designs (of both those fenders and the trucks) look ALMOST IDENTICAL....

In an era where GM is supposedly "giving each brand a unique identity" (yeah right), why in the world would they do this?

Minor, I know... But still...

1 - 20 of 188 Posts