GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my problems started in December 2012 when I traded in my 2008 Lexus Is250 for a 2012 new Traverse for the space and to support my father who is now retired from GM of 30 years. The 2012 Traverse was having some random problems, and they had came out with the new body style in 2013 I was told that the new 2014 had all the bugs worked out so I traded my 2012 in for a brand new 2014. The 2014 Metallic grey Traverse that I purchased from Chevyland at the end of May has turned out to be a lemon. At the beginning of September I was driving down the road when the car began to shake, rev up, and the check engine light came on a strong fuel smell accompanied this. I brought it in the next day 09/06/2014 where I was told it was a random misfire and it happens to all electric vehicles at some point so no big deal don't worry about it.(because I am a woman I am suppose to believe this) The same night it did it again. I have a 1 year old in the car with me at all times and smelling the gas fumes in a 4 month old car is infuriating and unhealthy.I didn't have time to get it in until that Friday and the car did this all week. I brought the car back 09/12/14 and also got a new service rep. On the 12th I got a call that it had been fixed and all it was, was one of the injectors was stuck and it had been spraying excess fuel. The next day it did it again and the smell of fuel had gotten worse, it was taking longer for it to start, and I was losing quite a bit of gas. I came back on 09/15/14 and was given a loner sonic for the week ( which is a teeny tiny car compared to my suv). On 09/17/14 I was told we were waiting on parts. 09/18/14 I called to check on my car and was told that the mechanic was out for school for the day so my car again still wouldn't be ready. 09/19/14 the Rep called and told me my car was ready and three injectors had to be replaced but now my car should be fine. On the drive home it did it again. 09/24/14 I dropped my car off again and given a loner car from enterprise. He called me and told me that they are getting no codes and they do not smell gas. I was told that they will be keeping the car overnight to see if it will do anything in the morning or if they can smell the fuel then. Every time the car sits and then you come out to crank it up you get a strong smell of gasoline through the air vents. 09/26/14 I was told that they couldn't find a thing wrong with it and that they had hooked up a "sniffer" to the vents and couldn't get or smell anything. Upon picking up my car that afternoon I was told that the same story and then "If it happens again maybe next time you should film it." Enraged at this point I left in my car. I filled up at the gas station and went home. All weekend long i noticed my gas gauge falling fast and on 09/28/14 my car did the same thing again and i got it on video. 09/29/14 I arrived at Chevyland and spoke directly with the service director, they gave me a loner and i was given a 1800 number. The next day I was called and told that the last three injectors were stuck open and over spraying fuel. I was also told that the system had detected 80 something misfires, but only the week before was supposedly hooked to a diagnostic machine for 24 hours. How could this keep getting missed and reoccurring? I now have a case number and have been submitted to a senior adviser, the only problem is they haven't updated me and he doesn't return my phone calls. I have now paid my car note two months in a row and have not gotten to drive it and I have also bought several tanks of gas that have been wasted. I'm worried about my child and myself seeing as we had to smell the fumes for weeks every time we got in my car . A brand new car should not smell like this or have these problems. I'm also aware that any small spark could have ignited my cabin into flames with my child in it and they continued to let me drive it off of their lot every time. I have been patient and very nice but this has been a huge inconvenience and i have had to take time off from my job in the mornings to continually drop off my car. I do not think I will be buying a Chevrolet ever again!

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Why not start your states lemon law. In many cases the dealer will be happy to help you start the paperwork. I have not seen this with any of our 2014 models so you may have a true lemon and just need a different one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've Suggested this and was told it will take a while and now they have fixed the problem (or so they say for the fifth time). Gm says they are working with the dealership to get an arbitrator down to see about a new car. I feel at this point I want a brand new car and am owed some compensation.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
That's a shame and understandably frustrating. That said, it is tough to diagnose a fault on a new car because it's going to be due to either a defective part or defective assembly, which is like finding a needle in a haystack. Older cars tend to have parts go in more predictable patterns that narrows down the search a bit.

Six defective injectors isn't impossible if GM received a bad batch, but it certainly is unusual. I'd be concerned about how they failed: did they really just go in batches over a short period of time? Or is there another issue causing the injectors to fail?

The fact that you could smell fuel is also unusual. Either the engine is running very rich (consistent with a failing injector) or you have a leak somewhere in the system.

The best thing you can do is get a notebook and write down everything you can about the conditions when it happens. How much fuel is in the tank? Is the engine warm or have you just started it? What the outside temperature? What were you doing with the car before it happens? Note everything you can. Any pattern that emerges can go a very long way to finding the problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've had no less than 4 Lambada CUVs (12 Traverse, 13 Enclave, 13 Acadia, 14 Acadia), each on long term corporate lease and I (or more accurately my partner, who has used these vehicles to travel to over 30 states in the last 3 years) have put over 30000 miles on each, and yet I have not had any problem at all with any of them. My point- your Traverse vehicle is not typical, the Lambada trio are reliable, and more generally, GM vehicles are reliable. This dealer sounds piss poor though, this is not acceptable customer service.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
While the strong odor of fuel in the cabin is not healthy for the occupants, it's very unlikely that there was enough fuel to be ignited by a spark. It's doubtful there was ever a threat of an internal fire; under the hood, quite possibly and maybe likely. And the dealer's approach is awful. The best advice I have is document, document, document. Keep a file with all the receipts you received from the dealer and keep detailed notes of your own with them.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The fact that you could smell fuel is also unusual. Either the engine is running very rich (consistent with a failing injector) or you have a leak somewhere in the system.
While I'm still quite ignorant to DI engines, I also find this odd. It would have to be flooding the cylinder/manifold port with fuel enough to have the noticeable smell in the passenger compartment. Hell, when I was a youngin' I'd hop in my parents' cars and pretend to be driving which meant pumping the gas pedal quite a bit and allowing the fuel to dump in the carb/manifold. While my parents could always tell what I had been up to based on the smell, I can't recall it smelling (this was long ago, however, so take my anecdote FWIW).

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The odor threshold of gasoline is 0.025ppm, and it's flammability range in air is roughly 1-6%, or 10,000 to 60,000 ppm. Let's relax about the car potentially being a fireball if you answer your cell phone.

That said the incompetence of the dealership is clearly a problem.

We have a Traverse and are generally happy with it, but it has cost me $2400 in power steering work, the only reliability problems we've had. That supposedly was corrected starting in '12.

Reactions: ATRAVERSEOWNER

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
While I feel her pain, I always find it odd that pissed off GM owners who register to post their first post about a complain somehow always do not know how to use paragraphs.
Can't say I disagree. I'm guessing it's a lot of first-time forum users who just Google their problem which usually will find a way of redirecting to this site. It probably doesn't help that they're in the heat of the moment. Not an excuse, but an observation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really do find your comment helpful(sarcasm). However, I do not see how your comment relates to my issue. I wasn't aware this was a site where I could get so many helpful comments for my grammar and not for the problem at hand. If you do not have any information or help to offer please STAY OUT OF THE COMMENTS, as you are not helping.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Its not a traverse but the only thing I have seen close to your issue is a Chevy Captiva we had to put an engine in. A week after the engine was replaced the customer complained of a gas smell in the cabin. They found a loose injector with a small leak. Once they did that no more issues. If your confidence is shot on the traverse read your states lemon law and start the procedures to file under it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.