GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted by Andre Smirnov - October 12, 2014 - Heavy Duty, Ike Gauntlet, Ram

It’s not every day that TFLtruck gets an opportunity to compare similarly configured trucks, with the same load, and under conditions. The 2014 Ram 2500 HD Crew Cab 4×4 Big Horn you see here is $210 more expensive than the 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD we recently tested.

We had the same load behind both trucks. We adjusted the bed weight to compensate for the absence of Emme Hall, and the final weigh-in showed that the Ram and Chevy were within 100 pounds of each other for the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW).

The weather was about the same. It was 72F during the Ram test, which was three degrees cooler than during the Chevy test.

Even the rear-axle ratio was the same on both truck at 4.10. The big 6.4L HEMI V8 is the most powerful gasoline engine you can get in the Ram HD. It produces 410 horsepower and 429 lb-ft of torque. It’s backed up by the 6-speed automatic transmission.

The stage was set for the closest, most apples-to-apples HD truck comparison. However, the result was surprising. Check the data and the video below.
http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/10/2014-ram-2500-hd-6-4l-hemi-vs-6-0l-chevy-ike-gauntlet-hd/

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That Ram got reamed by the Chevy. OUCH!

Nothin left but the cryin from the Ram boyz :clap:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
The 6.0L is a good engine, but I'm very surprised it performed that well vs the big bad new HEMI.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It seems that they may have tried to help out the Ram a bit.....

The Silverado tested at a combined weight of 20,360 lbs., just 140 lbs, shy of it's advertised 20,500 lb. max GCWR.

The Ram on the other hand, tested at 20,280 lbs., a whooping 2,220 lbs. less of it's advertised 22,500 lb. max GCWR.

I wonder if they added that weight to the Ram, would it had made it to the top?

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
All Hemi's are just marketing hype!!!! Over sold and under deliver.......
Having driven numerous vehicles with Hemis, including Ram HDs with this 6.4L Hemi, I will say the Hemi is a great engine with a great sound and surprising efficiency. However, GM has built a great truck as well - then again they're all great trucks from the Big Three.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Hmmm. Seems almost scientifically impossible that a less powerful engine, burdened with identical overall weight, would perform better than the more powerful one.

Maybe something to do with the lower gears in the GM 6spd? That's kind of an 'all out' run though and ratio spacing shouldn't matter.

Does the Hemi hold up well when hot? I have my suspicions.

Recently I got a GPS/tuner for my Hemi RCSB 1/2 ton, along with a 4.10 ring and pinion.

I can attest that on hot days, the Hemi does wilt quickly.

First time I tried 0-60 in August it was a hot and humid 85F day. The initial 0-100km time was 6.5 secs - but with each successive run it got markedly slower and slower. By the fifth run I was running mid seven seconds 1-100km.

In September I tried the test in colder 65F weather and was running the heater with the windows cracked open. I got more like 6.2 secs and that could be repeated much more reliably. Maybe more accurate to say I stood a decent chance of repeating the number whereas in hot weather there was a certainty of adding .3 or so seconds at every run.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hmmm. Seems almost scientifically impossible that a less powerful engine, burdened with identical overall weight, would perform better than the more powerful one.
What science is that?!

The hemi has MASSIVE ports, with low air speed. They're sized for supercharger applications (and still too big imo). **They do well on dyno tests at WOT** The Chevy has more torque down low, at part throttle, and reaches its torque quicker. The small blocks use very little gasoline for the power produces (0.25 lb/hp/hr BSFC whereas 0.40 is typical).

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
GM is king of the gas V8. Its not a big shock to me that the 6.0 can still hold its own and on certain cases still beat the competition.

either way that is a very impressive result when you consider the 6.0 is ancient and the big bad 6.4 is gods gift to the world...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I watch all those ike gaunlet videos, they are entertaining. The RAM was running 35 mph up the hill and fading fast. I think transmissions tuning has a large impact on the tow times since it's balancing fuel / power the entire time and TFL truck will also let the transmissions do the shifting in tow/haul mode. They have times where the truck 'could technically' downshift and pick up speed, but it just doesn't due to programming and they will not override it to keep things fair. That exact thing happens on the chevy trucks quite a bit going up the hill, it was just worst on the RAM apparently, there were times it was just redlined in 1st GEAR.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm shocked. Makes me feel a bit better about my 2011 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0! (Although I don't think the engine/transmission integration/programming is as good as it is now on the trucks.)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
What science is that?!

The hemi has MASSIVE ports, with low air speed. They're sized for supercharger applications (and still too big imo). **They do well on dyno tests at WOT** The Chevy has more torque down low, at part throttle, and reaches its torque quicker. The small blocks use very little gasoline for the power produces (0.25 lb/hp/hr BSFC whereas 0.40 is typical).
Don't know what this distinction means since the test was an 'all out' WOT affair.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If the Dodge can't handle long-term use / heat soak that saps its engine - then I guess it isn't that good a truck, is it? Great job GM, now sing those wins from the highest peaks!!

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Since the Chevy got worse mpg it looks like the engine was operating at 100 percent with fuel and spark optimized. If Chevy had a 6.4l direct injection version with a tq type cam it would have been another 30 seconds faster.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.