GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I say it's a bug because (a) I'm a software engineer and (b) I can't envision any design approver -- even one at GM -- who would approve a design for a system where "Shortest Time" has lower priority than "Use Freeways".

Every other nav system I've used, even the shabby one in my 2008 XLR (which was dug out of the DTS parts bin for the 2004 XLR even though it was no longer Denso's later version) understood the basic concept: If you choose "Shortest Time", it calculates the shortest time route, with exception that it won't use freeways if "avoid freeways" is set. Not so my ELR. It doesn't have a "avoid freeways" choice, it has a "use freeways" choice. And the not-so-bright programmer who implemented it saw "use freeways" as a mandate.

For example, a recent trip from home to an address just off I4 60 miles away in Tampa: There's a perfectly good series of local roads that connect me to I4 about 20 miles away in an almost straight-in-the-right-direction. That's the route to Tampa any other gps I've used will choose. However, there is a closer point where I could connect to I4, but it's many miles north. Going that way would take an extra 20-30 minutes. Any yet, that's where this incompetent system wanted me to go.

Example 2: On the way to my daughter's, there's a point where I like to get off I95 and take local roads. Upon exiting, the navs in my old XLR, Lexus RX, a garmin, and a tomtom all recalculate, decide it's a fast or faster to go that way than to try to get back on the interstate. Not the ELR. mile after mile, it kept trying to route me back to the interstate, even though it had to keep adding more and more to the arrival time. At the point where we passed up its final attempt, it settle on the correct route and its arrival time was suddenly 25 minutes sooner.

And no, I don't expect Cadillac to fix this. I learned that from an XLR software bug I had to live with.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
And I say it's a bug because (a) I'm a software engineer and (b) I can't envision any design approver -- even one at GM -- who would approve a design for a system where "Shortest Time" has lower priority than "Use Freeways".

Every other nav system I've used, even the shabby one in my 2008 XLR (which was dug out of the DTS parts bin for the 2004 XLR even though it was no longer Denso's later version) understood the basic concept: If you choose "Shortest Time", it calculates the shortest time route, with exception that it won't use freeways if "avoid freeways" is set. Not so my ELR. It doesn't have a "avoid freeways" choice, it has a "use freeways" choice. And the not-so-bright programmer who implemented it saw "use freeways" as a mandate.

For example, a recent trip from home to an address just off I4 60 miles away in Tampa: There's a perfectly good series of local roads that connect me to I4 about 20 miles away in an almost straight-in-the-right-direction. That's the route to Tampa any other gps I've used will choose. However, there is a closer point where I could connect to I4, but it's many miles north. Going that way would take an extra 20-30 minutes. Any yet, that's where this incompetent system wanted me to go.

Example 2: On the way to my daughter's, there's a point where I like to get off I95 and take local roads. Upon exiting, the navs in my old XLR, Lexus RX, a garmin, and a tomtom all recalculate, decide it's a fast or faster to go that way than to try to get back on the interstate. Not the ELR. mile after mile, it kept trying to route me back to the interstate, even though it had to keep adding more and more to the arrival time. At the point where we passed up its final attempt, it settle on the correct route and its arrival time was suddenly 25 minutes sooner.

And no, I don't expect Cadillac to fix this. I learned that from an XLR software bug I had to live with.
That is funny, and I’m sure the person that developed it thought it was completely logical.

No worries though, I heard Cadillac is moving a bunch of people from RenCen to NY, far away from Warren Tech Center and Milford Proving, where all this stuff is developed and tested.............. I’m sure it’ll get a lot better soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.