GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The Captivas are sold as fleet only... I also live in NJ. One fella who lives on my road now has a Captiva as his "work" vehicle. He used to drive a Ford Escape for his job. I don't know him well, he's sort of a "friend of a friend." Otherwise I would have gone to check out the Captiva up close by now. I used to work for a Saturn store so I'm kind of interested how close the total package is to the former Vue.:)
I saw this one, a black one, last weekend at a church in Brick, NJ (near Point Pleasant Borough). It was black.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll take a Verano 1ST with a 6-speed manual in blue, please! :D I look forward to seeing the retail price for the turbo model as well as its EPA figures and whether it will require premium fuel. I'm also happy to see more tech stuff on the equipment list even though I think the Verano's a tad small to need a back-up camera. In certain reviews, the car's been dinged for its lack of a camera and other gizmos compared to its rivals and perceived rivals. No mention of a fully-powered driver's seat (fore/aft, recline, etc.) though, unless I missed it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why can't GM offer more compelling colors on their Mid-Sized lineup? Let's take the brand new Malibu:

Silvers/Grays:
Silver Ice Metallic
Champagne Silver Metallic
Silver Topaz Metallic
Taupe Gray Metallic
=4

Whites:
White Diamond Tricoat
Summit White
=2

Blacks:
Black Granite Metallic
GBA Black
=2

Colors other than Black/White/Silver-Gray:
Crystal Red Tintcoat
Blue Topaz Metallic
Atlantis Blue Metallic <-- I haven't seen this yet so I don't know if it is yet another silver derrivative or not.

Compare this to the new Ford Fusion:
Silver/Gray:
Sterling Gray
Ingot Silver
= 2

White
White Platinum Tri-coat Metallic
Oxford White
=2

Black:
Tuxedo Black Metallic
=1

Colors other than Black/Silver/White
Bordeaux Reserve
Deep Impact Blue
Ginger Ale
Ruby Red
Ice Storm (Looks like a sky blue according to my web browser)
=5

Okay so let's look at this. Malibu has 11 color options. Only 2 of them are not Black/Silver/White! That means 82% of the color pallette are not a different color. And of that we only get a red or a blue! Look at how the Fusion has a balance on what it offers. 10 Color options, 5 are Black/Silver/White. 5 are other than those. So you get 50% more color choices compared to only 18% from GM. COME ON GM get with the program!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I noticed that too. It seems as though everything else has those from the Cruze to the Lacrosse. Even the Express and Savana are getting the backup sensor and camera. I wonder if it will be due for a MCE soon. I believe it came out in 2008 in Germany so its about due.
i believe the insignia is getting refreshed for 2013. Perhaps that means Regal gets changes for 2014. Still, there is no excuse for not offering a camera on a car in this class. The Regal and Verano have been dinged for this in various reviews and the regal still doesnt address this deficiency. also dont understand why MALIBU has memory seats but regal doesnt.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Interesting...GM uses them for fleet sales as a stopgap for high demand for the 'Nox. This may end up confusing potential customers. So, between the Caprice and the Captiva, there will be quite a few Chevy's out there that you can't buy as a citizen. Interesting move, GM. I am not sure if it's smart or not to keep a separate group of fleet cars.
I saw this one, a black one, last weekend at a church in Brick, NJ (near Point Pleasant Borough). It was black.
Chevrolet has done it before with the pre-2004 Malibu that continued to be sold to fleets as the Chevy "Classic." If the dealership has any clue, fleet ready Captivas, and old gen Impalas & Malibus will not be anywhere near the showroom. I know dealerships are hit and miss quality-wise, but the nearest Chevrolet dealership to me, Pellegrino, has a separate lot for their fleet cars/trucks... But I know many (most?) park all their vehicles next to each other...

The purpose of it is to keep the resale value up of the newer vehicles. It sounds good, but I honestly don't know if it works in the long run. The Captiva/Equinox pairing may, but I do not believe the Impala & Malibu cars will benefit near as much.

The fella with the Captiva up the street from me has one with the Crystal Red color...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i believe the insignia is getting refreshed for 2013. Perhaps that means Regal gets changes for 2014. Still, there is no excuse for not offering a camera on a car in this class. The Regal and Verano have been dinged for this in various reviews and the regal still doesnt address this deficiency. also dont understand why MALIBU has memory seats but regal doesnt.
Looks like the back-up camera mandate was pushed backed to 2014. It wouldn't make too much sense to add if a refresh would be that close.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Well shut my mouth and paint me red, there will be a Verano Turbo! I'm pretty shocked about this actually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
anyone know what the "All New" 1.8 liter is all about for the Sonic?

Also, regarding the Caprice PPV and the Captiva - there is some kind of law, for dealer protection, that does not allow vehicles from discontinued brands to be sold with another name at the retail level, unless they are significantly changed. The Caprice PPV is basically the G8, so they can only sell it as fleet. The SS is going to be available at retail because it will be much more updated and different than the G8, and I would assume the PPV will get updated as well. GM can sell every Equinox they make at the retail level, so they brought up the Captiva for the fleet market (it was already being made for the Mexican market). The retail market is more profitable, and as someone else mentioned, avoids the negative resale from when the fleets dump their cars in two or three years. I believe it's also because of that law that dealers cannot sell the Captiva (aka Saturn Vue) at retail.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So did they name the "plain brown wrapper" Caprice PPV a "detective car" because using "undercover car" as in the Impala would be pretty meaningless as pretty much only police departments buy them?

·
Super Moderator
21,001 Posts
anyone know what the "All New" 1.8 liter is all about for the Sonic?

Also, regarding the Caprice PPV and the Captiva - there is some kind of law, for dealer protection, that does not allow vehicles from discontinued brands to be sold with another name at the retail level, unless they are significantly changed. The Caprice PPV is basically the G8, so they can only sell it as fleet. The SS is going to be available at retail because it will be much more updated and different than the G8, and I would assume the PPV will get updated as well. GM can sell every Equinox they make at the retail level, so they brought up the Captiva for the fleet market (it was already being made for the Mexican market). The retail market is more profitable, and as someone else mentioned, avoids the negative resale from when the fleets dump their cars in two or three years. I believe it's also because of that law that dealers cannot sell the Captiva (aka Saturn Vue) at retail.
The Caprice is NOT the G8. Caprice is an imported Holden Caprice. G8 was a VE Commodore. The upcoming SS sedan is a VF Commodore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any word if the Verano Turbo is available with an automatic? The guide shows 1ST in a few places, one for the Turbo, one with the manual. The more I look at it, the more I am thinking it won't be available with an automatic. I really want this in an automatic (I drive in a lot of traffic and my wife needs to be able to drive it).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts