GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only 27,500 miles the unthinkable has occurred. My engine started running rough. I took it to the dealer and was told the engine has sustained some major internal damage. It was never low on oil; but began to make noise recently on hard acceleration. It was nearing failure. Disappointing that this happened. I have enjoyed the hell out of this little car. To the point that the XTS loaner they gave me seems bloated. Thank goodness everything is covered under warranty so no complaints here. Just puzzled that a engine could fail so soon.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Agree, that is concerning. You haven't said what the issue was, but this tends to confirm my possibly irrational bias against small turbos. I'm glad my ATS is the 3.6. I wonder if they will replace your engine with the higher TQ 2.0T or the original spec engine? Irrespective, best of luck, hopefully this was an outlier quality issue and not a design defect.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Bummer, try to find out what exactly went south, in a vehicle with that age/mileage failure is both odd and rare.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
I think there is known issue with early build 2.0T pistons. As far as I know GM is covering all the repairs, no questions asked.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
I know some one that is ON his second engine in a bought NEW 2013 Silverado 5.3L similar events /running rough and noisy / DEALER determined improper torquing of the big end caps
GM replaced the engine
a co workers girl-friend had a 2012 Cruze 1.8L engine block crack below the deck and loose coolant (casting defect) nether engine turbo

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Despite increasingly greater scrutiny and checks on machined components, ALL manufacturers produce a statistically rare motor.

I'd bet that your replacement will go 200k miles. Good luck!

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Well, The car comes with Cadillac Shield, you should have no inconveniences getting it fixed and a loaner meanwhile. My Dealer gives me loaners anytime my Chevrolet has warranty work on it, even recalls.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I was told that some rods and bearings had suffered from a lack of oil pressure and had gone bad. It was ready to throw a rod.
We hate to hear you're faced with an engine repair, rivieraranch. Thankfully you won't have to come out-of-pocket, but we definitely understand this is puzzling. Let us know how everything turns out with your ATS repairs!

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

1 - 20 of 73 Posts