GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 SRX Getting Revised Engine Lineup
GM fans get their wish with the addition of the 3.6L.
www.GMInsideNews.com
February 1, 2011
By: Nick Saporito, Alex Villani

Several weeks ago GMI broke news that the Cadillac SRX crossover was dropping its optional 2.8-liter turbo V-6. The news came as a surprise as the optional mill was responsible for providing the SRX near best-in-class power output. GMI has since learned the motive behind the axing of the turbo V-6.

According to engineering sources at GM as well as Cadillac dealerships, the 2012 SRX will receive GM’s familiar 3.6-liter V-6 as the only engine offering. The sources state that the engine will entirely replace the SRX’s current, anemic 3.0-liter V-6. The 3.6-liter will be GM’s new variant of the engine, dubbed ‘LFX’ based on the engine’s RPO code. Though the 3.0-liter could stick around for export markets to avoid higher displacement taxes.

GMI has not been told what types of improvements the LFX has over today’s direct-injected 3.6-liter, though speculation has suggested the engine will see a power increase from today’s 304 horsepower rating in the Cadillac CTS. The engineering source did state that the 3.6-liter is turning out to be a “perfect match” for the crossover.

The SRX is also slated to get a few other mild tweaks in 2012 model-year, including the addition of a heated steering wheel.

Cadillac's move to kill the SRX Turbo now seems rectified as the 2012 model with the 3.6-liter will likely have more power with significantly improved fuel economy over the former turbo. Stay tuned to GMI for continued updates about the 2012 model-year!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Finally. Good to see it getting some more of the luxury features it should have had since its introduction.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
A small step in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I have widely criticized the SRX myself on here, almost all of it because of the engine choices. However, with this news of the 3.6 going into the SRX, It is something we will SERIOUSLY consider buying (as long as the base price of the base model stays somewhat close or so of what it is now, I can deal with an increase but not too much.)

Now lets see this engine put in the Equinox and Terrain..just to put it on closer footing with the V6 powered Edge.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Now just add standard features found on a $25,000 Terrain and you're good.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Still would like to see a heads up display on more Cadillacs - love the one on my STS.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have never been a fan of the SRX, but standard 315 (or so) HP and fuel economy comparable to the 3.0L....is very attractive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wonder if this engine will be used in the Equinox and Terrain?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I like the SRX, but i have never driven one, so I don't know about the engine problem. I love the looks of the SRX, sounds like it is soon going to be one heck of a competitor.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I seem to remember mention of appearance changes for MY 2013. Are these still in the plan?

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is a great idea, always hear about no one liking the 3.0L for some reason. I don't know personally, haven't done extensive test drives in cars with it yet. But they definatly need to do an update 3.6L into the SRX and if it can stay around, the version found in the Acadia put into the Terrain and Equinox so they get more power also but the SRX have to top spec of the engine for the small crossovers. Then they all will have better v6 fuel economy and hopefully will compete better against the new edge.

And then for the Lambdas they should get a turbo 3.0L which might make things better if engineered right so they can get even better fueleconomy and more power. (idk if its true about them getting this engine but you never know or maybe they get the same update 3.6L as the SRX and get increased fuel economy. maybe 27 mpg wud be a hopeful number?)

Explorer now tops Acadia by 2hp with the same mpg in AWD/4x4 mode and 1 mpg better in FWD. Yes its a very small difference but if we can make the Lambdas better now when the Explorer won't get a refresh until 2016 i bet, then we are still sitting pretty.

Yes Acadia is bigger then Explorer but people can be blinded by the mpg when they are spending almost the same amount for a smaller vehicle.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
More talk of a power increase for the 3.6. Could this be the same power increase we heard about for the Camaro?

·
Registered
107 Posts
OT, but when do 2012 MY updates/changes show up on paperwork/GMI? We are looking at getting a new Equinox in September, but not sure if we want a 2011, or 2012 one. (we really like a 2010 one at the dealer, but don't think it will still be there in 9 months.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
More talk of a power increase for the 3.6. Could this be the same power increase we heard about for the Camaro?
hm, you might be right, since the the Camaro 3.6L is getting an increase its probably being added into the SRX and hopefully the CTS will get the same update as well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OT, but when do 2012 MY updates/changes show up on paperwork/GMI? We are looking at getting a new Equinox in September, but not sure if we want a 2011, or 2012 one. (we really like a 2010 one at the dealer, but don't think it will still be there in 9 months.)
suprised theres even a 2010 model on the lot still, unless thats a typo. They are hard to come by even now. Well I should say the 2011 ones but still they seem to still be going fast.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts