GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Chevrolet Malibu

With their 2010 Zeta Impala E85 3.2 DI V6 Turbo a run away success, Chevrolet introduces the downsized
2012 Malibu on Epsilon II to cater to $5 gasoline and those looking for a real fuel sipping family sedan.

With it's E85 2.8 DI V6 Turbo and optional 2.2 V6 Bio-Turbodiesel, the new Malibu is positioned under the Impala
in size, but with it's taller cabin retains interior room for the modern family. Remember with the Zeta Impala available
for those seeking performance and sleek styling, the Malibu is repositioned for those who still want FWD and economy.
So the 2012 Malibu, while still looking good, must be more practical and utilitarian rather than cool and sleek.

New Malibu

The 2012 Malibu is only 5% shorter, stays the same width and is actually 5% taller than the 2008 Malibu.
The wheelbase is only 2% shorter but looks short as the wheel arch openings are larger for big premium wheels.
Looks can be deceptive, so here they are side by side. So with better packaging the 2012 has just as much
room under the hood/bonnet and more space inside. While being 5% shorter it's real downsize comes
in weight reduction. Using new variable thickness high strength steel sheetmetal for stampings, and
more composites and alloys, it is 15% lighter than the 2008 model. Engines are far more compact as now
GM copies their new 4.5 diesel lead with in-the-V exhaust and turbo manifolding that eliminates the
need for space for and aft of the engine for exhaust headers.

;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
It looks a little too round and small. But otherwise nice.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
It's a good chop job. But I certainly hope they don't shrink the size of the Epsilon II down to that of the Delta. What we have here is a car the size of the next Cobalt.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Looks great! I wouldn't buy one that color but I don't want to see every future car shown in the usual black or silver blah.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Looks great! I wouldn't buy one that color but I don't want to see every future car shown in the usual black or silver blah.

Thanks big swede, I did it in plumb (not purple :D ) just for that reason. People don't have to buy it this color but I'm also sick of the usual colors, and a concept car needs to stand out and pop a little.

Yes everyone loves black, silver, blue and red, but a change is as good as a holiday.....:yup:

;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very nice lines. I like the headlights, but they could use a little more character. See new Saab headlights, I love them.

Great job :clap:

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
looks great... you've fixed all my points of contention with this vehicle.. headlights, grille, rear end...

all nicely done in a smaller package which I agree with... the proportions are much better now

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Thanks big swede, I did it in plumb (not purple :D ) just for that reason. People don't have to buy it this color but I'm also sick of the usual colors, and a concept car needs to stand out and pop a little.

Yes everyone loves black, silver, blue and red, but a change is as good as a holiday.....:yup:

;)
A very nice job except for the color, which of course does nothing to stop it from being a very nice job. Plum/purple, whatever, it's hideous. An appropriate color for your Datsun.

BTW, if you really want it to stand out, I recommend the florescent day-glow paint they sell at Wal-Mart. It's cheap, and really makes my Elantra stand out in a crowd.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I am liking this. It is more along the lines of what I think of when somebody says Epsilon. The new malibu looks very big. The front and rear refreshing is very nice as well.

-Chase

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's a good chop job. But I certainly hope they don't shrink the size of the Epsilon II down to that of the Delta. What we have here is a car the size of the next Cobalt.
All is nice, but where do you fit those V6s when you've chopped off the front end?
Hi guys,

The 2012 Malibu is only 5% shorter, stays the same width and is actually 5% taller than the 2008 Malibu. Looks can be deceptive, so here they are side by side. So with better packaging the 2012 has just as much room under the hood/bonnet and more space inside. While being 5% shorter it's real downsize comes in weight reduction. Using new variable thickness high strength steel sheetmetal for stampings, and more composites and alloys, it is 15% lighter than the 2008 model. Engines are far more compact as now GM copies their new 4.5 diesel lead with in-the-V exhaust and turbo manifolding that eliminates the need for space for and aft of the engine for exhaust headers.

;)

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Too much of a Taurus look to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts