GM Inside News Forum banner

2011 Mercedes CLS

5K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  emh 
#1 ·

Mercedes is already working at the second generation CLS that will make its world debut during a major car show in late 2010 with sales following in early 2011. Big news is, that next to the standard engine, the future CLS will also be offered as a hybrid.

It will get the same powertrain as the forthcoming S400 Hybrid that will be launched at the end of 2009, which means that the CLS Hybrid will make use of lithium-ion batteries that not only weigh less but also offer more power than the nickel hydride units used in today’s hybrids.

Design will follow the basic shape of the current generation model adorned with styling elements from the German automaker’s newest cars.

See less See more
#4 ·
See what stands in the way of Cadillac regaining it's market share in the Premium line? Mercedes isn't standing still, and Cadillac doesn't have a intermediate car line to offer for competition. That's my main reason for having Cadillac abandon (place it on a back burner) the CTS wagon and putting more effort into the DT-7 replacement vehicle.

I like the CLS style, but I object to the claustrophobic, narrow side glass. Escape in a roll over especially in water would be a problem from anyone over a certain height and width. I would definitely choose the S550 over the CLS.

#5 ·
Mercedes is primed to steamroll over the competition.
Umm... no? Mercedes is struggling to keep a direction they lost long ago. The oh-so-awful Bangle Bimmers are winning hearts and wallets, while Audi is going full steam ahead, while Jaguar suddenly started to be featured on the map again.

Escape in a roll over especially in water would be a problem from anyone over a certain height and width.
With regard to that, riding a bus might be the obvious choice for you!

#7 ·
The current Mercedes-Benz's CLS is superb styling in my view and is the only Mercedes-Benz from a style and design to make my purchase list other than the Mercedes-Benz SL. And from a power train perspective, one of the superior offerings on the market today in my view. However, it is a four door coupe and unless you like the closed in feeling, it will feel cramped and poorly designed from an interior space perspective. I did not prefer this interior design but I do understand the design approach.

I like the new front end styling of Mercedes-Benz's C Class Sport. And I can see a less safe style and design approach, less taxi cab if you will from each new car being introduced. I am very interested in the new E Class coming from Mercedes-Benz, the current model is my example of safe styling of the old Mercedes-Benz design which is not my preference.

JLM

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
The CTS was redesigned to compete with the best from Europe and Japan. The CTS is right up there with the BMWs, M-Benz, and Lexus... Cadillac NEEDS to totally redo the STS so it to can run with the big boys.

And really i must add.. the new Mercedes all look the same and they are all pretty ugly.

#9 ·
I love Mercedes' all around new look of sculptural sleekness and poise, especially the S class and the current CLS...this new one looks to keep it up. In that spirit, I hope that the recent Mercedes concept (FTS? I can't remember numbers and letters I want NAMES) that seemed to hint as to the next S class was fairly close, especially the belt line cut low below the rear view mirror for a slimmer, more graceful profile. Bummer though that they robbed Chrysler of the "sleek" theme as I loved the Intrepid and LHS...and now Mercedes uses it minus cab-forward.

#14 ·
It will be very interesting to see what the successor to the present, first-generation CLS will look like. Probably just an evolution of the CLS' very stylish, very unique look.

Daimler's styling is - thankfully - finally becoming coherent again, after a long period in the wilderness.

Still, nothing can rival the gravitas and timeless, enigmatic elegance of the Bruno Sacco cars, especially the W126 S-Class (1979-1991), the W124 mid-sizer (1984-1995), the W201 190 compact (1982-1993) and the R129 SL (1989-2001).

Those cars still turn my head today, and are the cars upon which the M-B reputation was largely built on. They were constructed like bank vaults, too.

#15 ·
In my opinion, MB has the best looking "affordable" vehicles on the market - followed by Infiniti, Audi, BMW, then the rest. All Cadillac only has the CTS and Escalade. Their other offerings are not stylish at all. Cadillac will never be able to compete with the big boys until they make a serious commitment to luxury. And just because it has 550hp, doesn't mean it's luxurious. I'd buy an Infiniti before I'd buy a Cadillac - more styling, Luxury, and power for the money.

#20 ·
Looks more aggressive than the current one. I'm not sold on the nose in this rendering, but if they stick to the same profile as the current one, this could be a VERY nice looking vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.