GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
most reviews in non enthusiast sources said the engine was adequate. I drove one with the engine and in casual driving you really couldnt tell the difference between the 3L and 3.6L. On the highway I'm sure the difference is noticeable but for urban driving the 3L was fine.
That is what I say in real life driving and not acting like a race car driver you can not tell the difference. Still I don't have an issue with this move but it must mean that the Regal is eventually going to be cheaper than the now base 26K. I wonder why would you get a base Lacrosse with what looks like 16" wheels instead of a well equipped Regal with Leather and 18" wheels for the same price?

To me they should keep the Lacrosse at 30-32K base price and Let the Regal own 25K up. The new small car can then start at 18-20K. Just my opinion....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
One of my co-workers bought a White Diamond 2010 LaCrosse CXL 3.0 V6 with all the lux & comfort packages. I've ridden in it on multiple occasions when we've gone out to lunch. I didn't think the 3.0 was a slouch when he got on it. One of my co-workers who rode in it thought the interior may have been better than his '08 3 series. If the Regal's interior is as good, a lot of people are going to be very impressed. I'm not so sure that the 2.4 is a good idea except if it's being used for marketing. I'm concerned that a 2.4 powered LaCrosse is going to be quite a slowpoke though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i never understood why the 3.0 had such poor MPG over the 3.6. the 0.6 is a significant difference in size. but in the end it is easier to offer one 4cyl and one 6cyl in packaging, pricing and marketing. now if they can improve the mpg on the 3.6 that would be great.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Lexus sells a hybrid with a four cylinder and has another one on the way next year. BMW is going to be adding four cylinders to its lineup and the TSX has a four standard.

The 3L made no sense because it delivered no mileage gain over the larger 3.6L. This makes a lot of sense because now there is a REAL difference in mileage between the two engines. What I dont get is why the Equinox gets 22/32 with 3800lbs of weight and this gets 19/30 with 3800lbs. The gearing must be much different and perhaps thats a good thing since not everyone is satisfied with the gearing and throttle response of the Chevy.
Hybrid, superchagers and Turbos don't count the same way as a naturaly asperated 4 cyl. Hybrid or Turbo sounds luxury, its got a name, so your Lexus example doesn't count. That adds image over a V6 to most buyers. If they had the DI 4 cyl Turbo, in the Lacrosse, that would be perfectly acceptable, as would a hybrid.

As to BMW and TSX, they're smaller cars. I'm under the impression the BMW will be smaller than Regal so that doesn't fly and isn't a TSX a Regal competitor? The Lacrosse is ment to be a large car. Buick can't expect it to be well accepted with a 4 cyl by the large car buyers. Also the Acura name isn't really a luxury nameplate to most buyers. Its like Buick and isn't low end, but doesn't demand respect like Lexus or Cady in the minds of most people, most think of Acura as Hondas Mercury. I don't know why Acura never got the respect of Lexus, but it never did.

Now in the regular world, the 4 cyl may be a good thing to sell against Avalon and Taurus (especially since Chevy doesn't have anything to compete), but it hurts the image for a car trying to compete in the luxury market.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I see what they are doing here. They are killing off the crappy 3.0L from the LaCrosse, adding the ECOTEC so they can say 30 MPG, and purposely driving most customers to the 3.6L as it is the best engine for the car and has the highest profit margin.

I'm impressed they thought of this.
And the 3.6 seems like that much more of a rocket ship.

In all honesty, the ecotec will probably move the car just fine. But I'm not sure moves like this make Buick more of a Lexus fighter.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I see what they are doing here. They are killing off the crappy 3.0L from the LaCrosse, adding the ECOTEC so they can say 30 MPG, and purposely driving most customers to the 3.6L as it is the best engine for the car and has the highest profit margin.

I'm impressed they thought of this.
In 2008 Saturn released the 2.4, dropped the 3.5 and kept the 3.6 for the AURA.

Sales went through the roof and I even picked one up for myself.

Its safe to say the same will happen here.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Ya know if Buick had their own power train engineers they could have made the 3.0L something more potent and powerful and have it as a option in addition to the 2.4L 4 and the 3.6L V6. But alas they dont because the divisions are mere shadows of themselves and are now relegated to being mere brands of GM central command, effectively going against the grain of what made GM great.

I see the 3.0L V6 as a potentially strong engine that just needs better air intake massaging and exhaust improvements. Imagine if GM freed Buick's engineers to work on a available 3.0L DOHC DI V6 to get over 280bhp to 300bhp out of it naturally aspirated. Or even much more supercharged or turbocharged and make it a Buick exclusive engine with its own name and Buick emblems on its cover.

Its time GM's HQ stop constricting the divisions capabilities with extreme centralization reminiscent of a former communist regime.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And the 3.6 seems like that much more of a rocket ship.

In all honesty, the ecotec will probably move the car just fine. But I'm not sure moves like this make Buick more of a Lexus fighter.
I think the strategy is to keep cheap trim levels to appease dealerships that are begging for sales after losing Pontiac. Once Buick has a full line, that will end. When we talked to Buick marketing executives at NAIAS they made it clear they eventually want to rid themselves of cheap base models.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Lexus sells a hybrid with a four cylinder and has another one on the way next year. BMW is going to be adding four cylinders to its lineup and the TSX has a four standard.

The 3L made no sense because it delivered no mileage gain over the larger 3.6L. This makes a lot of sense because now there is a REAL difference in mileage between the two engines. What I dont get is why the Equinox gets 22/32 with 3800lbs of weight and this gets 19/30 with 3800lbs. The gearing must be much different and perhaps thats a good thing since not everyone is satisfied with the gearing and throttle response of the Chevy.
I agree on all points. 4cylinders are getting more common across the board. The 2.4L DI engine is a good engine so this shoiuldn't be a problem. My guess is that the gearing is different as well as the programing for the shift points so fuel economy is sacrificed to get better performance and enjoyment. Most other 2.4L/6-speed combinations (Equinox, Malibu, etc.) get complaints from reviewers that the trans. always wants to keep the rpms as low as possible which lowers driving enjoyment in an obvious effort to improve fuel economy.

Getting rid of the 3.0L was a good move, it didn't seem to serve a purpose. Fuel economy was no better than the 3.6L at a significant loss of torque. Who would want it?

If I were to want a larger car from GM the Lacrosse with the 2.4L would be at the top of my list. It lacks a center head restraint in the rear and the trunk is too small but otherwise is a good package. Just because someone wants a larger car doesn't mean they don't want good fuel economy.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I think the strategy is to keep cheap trim levels to appease dealerships that are begging for sales after losing Pontiac. Once Buick has a full line, that will end. When we talked to Buick marketing executives at NAIAS they made it clear they eventually want to rid themselves of cheap base models.
I hope so. There's a lot to be gained if they do.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
One of my co-workers bought a White Diamond 2010 LaCrosse CXL 3.0 V6 with all the lux & comfort packages. I've ridden in it on multiple occasions when we've gone out to lunch. I didn't think the 3.0 was a slouch when he got on it. One of my co-workers who rode in it thought the interior may have been better than his '08 3 series. If the Regal's interior is as good, a lot of people are going to be very impressed. I'm not so sure that the 2.4 is a good idea except if it's being used for marketing. I'm concerned that a 2.4 powered LaCrosse is going to be quite a slowpoke though.
2.4L will sell well in Canada due to higher sticker price (MSRP starts at 31 grand) and taxes and fees, not to mention fuel cost. I think base CX and CXL were best sellers here for the same reason.

I barely had a chance to see maybe a few new LaCrosses since product launch in Toronto area.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

Older more traditional customers do not associate turbo fours with refined performance. They want a V6. Plus the 3.6L takes regular gas. The Regal will get 18/29 vs 17/27 for the LAcrosse which is heavier and has 60 more hp.
Yep. :)

The real hot button on this for that age group is smooth effortless low end torque and 'everyday' driveability the same way with a decent highway merge that doesn't feel strained and has some margin for 'just in case.'

Really what we used to take for granted when the American style V8 was King in the pre emissions era.

21 - 40 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.