GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
And they'll never turn a profit on it. I'm not saying it's a bad truck, or there's anything wrong with it. I'm just saying GM is not going to launch a competitor for it.
I'm sure they make Some money on it.. The thing about it though is it only enhances the Ford Truck brand whether they make a dime on it or not. Kind of like the Volt will only help GM's EV street cred even if they don't make money. Initially anyway... Many of the basics on the Raptor are F-series off the shelf parts. GM could do this if they Wanted to and I still think they should. When people think 'Truck' many people think 'Ford'. GM needs to fix that and fast.... Chevy Trucks need to be Top Priority again for General Motors.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I'm sure they make Some money on it.. The thing about it though is it only enhances the Ford Truck brand whether they make a dime on it or not. Kind of like the Volt will only help GM's EV street cred even if they don't make money. Initially anyway... Many of the basics on the Raptor are F-series off the shelf parts. GM could do this if they Wanted to and I still think they should. When people think 'Truck' many people think 'Ford'. GM needs to fix that and fast.... Chevy Trucks need to be Top Priority again for General Motors.
You make a good point. I suppose it could be a good image booster and GM could use that for its trucks these days. Not because there's anything wrong with them compared to the competition, but it just seems that Ford is really getting message across and GM's marketing is slipping behind. They need something akin to the "Like A Rock" campaign.

But I really don't see the Raptor as raising Ford's truck image all that much for the average consumer. Not in my eyes anyway. I don't see or hear ads for it. Like I said before, I've only ever seen one on the road. It's not the Raptor that makes the average person think Ford when they hear truck before they think Chevy or GMC, it's the rest of the marketing. The Raptor is for enthusiasts who already know the truck game and don't feel like modifying it themselves. But many truck guys do feel like doing if they want that type of truck. A lot of them get enjoyment and satisfaction of making their own rock crawlers, or sand speeders with their own bare hands. They are truck guys, after-all.

·
Banned
2,546 Posts
They need something akin to the "Like A Rock" campaign.
Man, nobody on planet earth would be happier than me if they did that.. Much like the SFA on the HD trucks though, I've pretty much given up hope. Just look at the picture in that clip. Can you imagine if they tried to let a guy sit on the hood of a new Chevy truck like that?? lol... The thing would cave in. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
No, instead, you get the Max and Al campaign. A couple of gay guys carrying heavy loads, and making fun of a baby.

Sorry, but I think this has to be THE WORST advertising campaign I have ever seen. I know it is supposed to be tongue in cheek, but all it is, is pathetic.

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
I have a great sense of humor, and am usually the comedian of any gathering. However, those commercials are just awful.

Noone I know cares for them. Frankly, the non car enthusiasts that I know, didn't even know they were car commercials, until the end. Then they were like.......... "ok, that was wierd."

I'm sure there are some people who like them.................... like the team that sold the concept to GM.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have a great sense of humor, and am usually the comedian of any gathering. However, those commercials are just awful.

Noone I know cares for them. Frankly, the non car enthusiasts that I know, didn't even know they were car commercials, until the end. Then they were like.......... "ok, that was wierd."

I'm sure there are some people who like them.................... like the team that sold the concept to GM.
I think they're pretty funny and I like the Chevy vs. Ford jabs going on. Anything fun like this that gets the Chevy vs. Ford (and potentially Dodge later?) rivalry going again in terms of trucks and performance cars is good in my book. Maybe a little more obvious use of chevy and ford names during the commercial would help for the non car people you're talking about. I know a couple other people that like them too, I guess we'd need a bigger sample size of people to know for sure.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
No, instead, you get the Max and Al campaign. A couple of gay guys carrying heavy loads, and making fun of a baby.

Sorry, but I think this has to be THE WORST advertising campaign I have ever seen. I know it is supposed to be tongue in cheek, but all it is, is pathetic.
I think the making fun of the baby is in direct response to one of Ford's commercials where they say something along the lines of "no need to order your engine off the kiddie menus anymore."

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.