GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apr. 2012 2yrs. after purchase front 2 inside door bottoms the paint started to bubble. Took vehicle in to dealer where I bought it, they took pictures and sent them to GM which in turn okayed them to sandblast and repaint door bottoms. 2yrs. 4 mos later the back 2 doors have done the same thing plus the drivers front door has started to bubble again. I took vehicle in for maintenance and brought this to there attn. They took pictures again and sent them to GM once again. That was a week ago , still waiting for result.They told me at the dealer that paintwork is only covered by GM for 3yrs. They told me that GM would asses it but I still might have to pay to have it fixed. This does not hold well with me as I purchased the extended warranty to 5yrs. What kind of shape will these doors be in 2yrs. from now? I have seen doors on vehicles over 14 or 15 yrs. old in the junkyard that have no sign of rust on the bottoms. You would think they would have a remedy for this. I'm definitely not a happy camper. My next vehicle purchase will depend on what the outcome of this will be.:mad::confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I live in nova scotia but I've never had a vehicle where the doors bubbled like this before. The vehicle I had the longest was 11yrs. Never had a speck of rust on door bottoms and i live maybe 300 yds from the ocean.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yes I live in nova scotia but I've never had a vehicle where the doors bubbled like this before. The vehicle I had the longest was 11yrs. Never had a speck of rust on door bottoms and i live maybe 300 yds from the ocean.

There has been a lot of discussion (and complaints) regarding this problem with the latest generation of the Equinox and Terrain on the www.equinoxforum.net forum.

I have been watching a family member's 2013 Equinox 2LT for this problem - as we live in the Midwest where a lot of salt is used on the roads in the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don' t understand why it seems to be these models and so soon. Your family member's vehicle is 3yrs. newer than mine, hopefully they have it rectified by now. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ive been having this same issue with a 2006 Silverado. Every few years im fixing the inside of the door bottoms. I also have a 2005 Sierra, both trucks since new and it does not have this issue. :confused:

Our 2010 Equinox is at the body shop right now for the rust issue on the liftgate around the chrome trim above the plate. Worked out a good deal with the body shop for the repair which they claim is very common with these models. I never even had my gm dealer look at it because it is 5 years old this fall so im sure they wont do anything about it.

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
It's the design of the doors. If YOU do not take care and actually clean them during winter they will rust. Price you pay for integrated rockers and easier ingress and egress.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got a 1930 ford pick up, that i bring out only in the summer. I spray it every year with Rust Check or Crown oil. No rust at all, and my 98 Cadillac has no rust, 315000 kms. Sprayed every year. Protect your vehicule for about $100 every year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts