GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Saab 9-3: We Speculate, You Decide

Opel's release of the Vectra-replacing 2009 Opel Insignia is bringing with it speculation on other GM products built atop the Vectra's Epsilon platform, including the Saab 9-3. Which is where we think the impetus for the above potential p-shop, appearing on the Vince Burlapp Car Page just below those Mazda3 renders from earlier, may have come from. The 9-3's been built on the same Epsilon platform as the Vectra since 2003 and is getting seriously long in the tooth, even in the admittedly capable 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X form. So, we're really hoping the Aeronaut wannabes from Trollhättan get a chance to build the 2010 Saab 9-3 on something new. Especially because the Swedes have been holding things down so well on the concept front as of late, we're expecting big things from the new 9-3's styling, if not its mechanicals.

We expect a new 9-3 to share the Insignia's better engines, namely a 160hp diesel and 260hp V6, as well as the usual selection of odd capacity turbos. Call us eternal optimists, but we're holding out hope that the Turbo X's torque vectoring differential will find its to the rest of the 9-3's spec levels, giving them some desperately needed separation from their pedestrian platform mates. [via Vince Burlapp]

Click Link for Illustration: http://jalopnik.com/397460/2010-saab-9+3-we-speculate-you-decide

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
I think 9-3 is gonna go to Delta II.

Epsilon II is a bit large for the 9-3; however, it is fine for the 9-5.

9-3 going to Delta would allow 9-3 to keeps it smaller, more svelte, more nimble size, as it's approximately the size of a Cobalt already.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Delta II please. And I doubt it will look anything like that drawing.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Someone should wait until the kids are sleeping and then take Saab out behind the barn and put it out of its misery. That dog ain't never gonna hunt.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Nice but it's too little too late. Saab's days are numbered. It will be gone within a decade.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Kill the only fuel efficient brand GM has...great idea guys. And the brand that is behind GM's Ethanol, Turbo charging, and even hybrid technology.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Why bother. What are the chances of GM getting rid of Saab? Saab may be global but it's irrelevant.
Relevant in terms of what?
THey don't sell a lot in comparison to something like Pontiac....

BUT... they make the only efficient, fun to drive, sport sedans at GM... they have a greener image.... and their technology and engineering is the basis for a whole slew of GM hybrids, direction injection, and E85 programs.

Remember... the first plug-in hybrid concept from GM was a Saab. GM just chose not to announce that feature with Saab.

Saab is not only global... it's more relevant that most GM cars... if only GM would actually realize it.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Relevant in terms of what?
THey don't sell a lot in comparison to something like Pontiac....

BUT... they make the only efficient, fun to drive, sport sedans at GM... they have a greener image.... and their technology and engineering is the basis for a whole slew of GM hybrids, direction injection, and E85 programs.

Remember... the first plug-in hybrid concept from GM was a Saab. GM just chose not to announce that feature with Saab.

Saab is not only global... it's more relevant that most GM cars... if only GM would actually realize it.
Exactly. Better said than I could.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The problem with killing the brand but keeping the engineers is that, as they get pushed into new departments they will be forced to develop the respective way of thinking and a lot of that innovation could slip away.

That rendering would make a great 9-3, it has a lot of Saab-ness to it and fits well with the new brand identity being forged at the moment. Also if Saab built a Delta II 9-3 and an Epsilon 9-5 and keep both cars down on size and weight instead of making the new models bigger and heavier they may just deliver what customers want, I know it's a different market segment, but it certainly didn't do the Mazda 2 any harm to downsize and drop a few pounds. Plus this is one of the better ways to keep cars green without robbing the fun factor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If anything GM should seriously invest a lot more in Saab. If they could squeeze some more performance out of them, let Saab dictate its own styling and interior, many would be all over it. I know I would.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kill the only fuel efficient brand GM has...great idea guys. And the brand that is behind GM's Ethanol, Turbo charging, and even hybrid technology.
...dont forget the XWD system also. (that should go into the next-gen G6 GXP as a STi/Evo fighter!)

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
Nice but it's too little too late. Saab's days are numbered. It will be gone within a decade.
While I doubt that - GM did announce today that the 2009 Saab 9-3 will no longer be offered throught GM Supplier or Employee programs.

GM just can make money here with the dollar so low. The Mexican built 9-4 should be a huge help to Saab dealers and GM itself.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I think 9-3 is gonna go to Delta II.

Epsilon II is a bit large for the 9-3; however, it is fine for the 9-5.

9-3 going to Delta would allow 9-3 to keeps it smaller, more svelte, more nimble size, as it's approximately the size of a Cobalt already.
I think it would be better on a Tater, Mahindra or SAIC platform.

Come on GM, make a billion or two on the sale and save a billion or two for every year you don't have that money pit and those uber-expensive facilities in Sweden!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Efficient? A 2.8L 9-3 Aero XWD with a manual is rated at 16/24 MPG; the automatic is rated at 15/24. That's barely crossover SUV territory nowadays.

Are you guys sure Saab developed flex-fuel, turbocharging, hybrids, and direct injection for GM? All by their little lonesome selves? If so, I'm impressed, but it still doesn't make for a viable car company.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts