GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080908.010/2010-vauxhallopel-astra-teasers-released

Vauxhall has released today first teaser sketches of the all-new sixth generation Vauxhall/Opel Astra, which makes it's world premiere one year from now at the 2009 IAA Frankfurt motor show. According to Vauxhall, the Astra will be going for a premium approach similar to the recently unveiled mid-size Insignia and adopt similar features such as the Front Camera System which combines traffic sign recognition with lane departure warning system and next generation Adaptive Front Lighting (AFL). The same premium approach continues inside with a wrap-around interior and a wing-line sweep that links the instrument panel to the door. Adopted from the new Corsa is the FlexFix integrated bike carrier. The Astra will debut in 5-door hatchback form, but we expect the all new Delta platform to spawn several other familiar variants like the coupe, twintop and wagon (estate) with greener engines. Production for the next generation Astra starts at Ellesmere Port in late 2009.
From GM Europe: http://www.gmeurope.info/social_media_newsroom/archives/496-All-New-Astra-Set-To-Take-Compact-Class-By-Storm-In-2009.html

The next generation Vauxhall Astra will receive its premiere at next year’s Frankfurt Show, delivering a compelling mix of technical innovation and groundbreaking design that promises to raise the bar in the compact sector.

With its flowing lines and signature sculpted blade, the new Astra will carry the spirit of the Insignia into the compact class, offering customers a premium feel, while maintaining Vauxhall’s value for money promise.

Inside, the premium theme will continue, with a warm, wrap-around interior and a wing-line sweep that links the instrument panel to the door.

An all-new chassis promises to maintain the Astra’s reputation for class-leading dynamics, while new engines will maximise low-end torque to achieve miserly fuel consumption.

Also expect to see clever and practical features on the new Astra, taking inspiration from systems like the Corsa’s FlexFix integrated carrier.

The new Astra will major on technical innovation, such as the Front Camera System used in the upcoming Insignia, which combines traffic sign recognition with a lane departure system, improving occupant safety and potentially helping drivers avoid fines.

Next generation Adaptive Front Lighting (AFL) will also be shared with the Insignia. The system adapts to different road and driving conditions by providing nine unique light beams, improving visibility and safety during night-time driving.

This will be the fourth generation of the hugely successful Astra, which has sold over 2.5 million cars in the UK during the last 27 years.

The current model kick-started Vauxhall’s design renaissance when it was launched in 2004, and according to Mark Adams, GM Europe’s Vice President of Design, it presented his team with serious challenges: “The present Astra already combines a high level of technical substance and emotional styling, but with the new car we are taking a big step forward in both respects, while emphasising its sporting credentials.”

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Re: 2010 Vauxhall/Opel Astra Teasers Released

What US GMIers should take from this: Astra will get better looking and more upscale, but you'll never ever see one in person unless you go on vacation.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

What US GMIers should take from this: Astra will get better looking and more upscale, but you'll never ever see one in person unless you go on vacation.
Do you go on vacation to North America often?

·
Registered
450 Posts

The insignia drawings looked nice. Too bad it came out looking like a bloated jelly bean.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts

I am really intrested to see where Saturn/Opel/Buick are going to be alligned in the US soon.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts

The silhouette sketch is a rip from Infiniti.

I love the direction of Astra.
Hopefully GM continues to sell the Astra in the US -- and target it as a premium compact option... and actually market the poor car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

I'm guessing it will look like a slightly sharper, marginally more expensive Cruze.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like this car, hopefully along with being built here it is exported for profit and it sells well here. Please GM don't delay this the current one is obviously not selling. If there is a sedan that should help, but it cant look like the Cruze. And maybe the Pontiac will look a little different between the two as it should be distinctly american.

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
"The silhouette sketch is a rip from Infiniti."

Uhh bro, pretty much EVERY car manufacturer since the 50's has done that at one point or another. Last I checked Infiniti is a pretty new horse in the stable.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

The silhouette sketch is a rip from Infiniti.

I love the direction of Astra.
Hopefully GM continues to sell the Astra in the US -- and target it as a premium compact option... and actually market the poor car.
Yeah really. It might actually do something here in NA GM marketed it and gave it some options or something besides a hatch.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm guessing it will look like a slightly sharper, marginally more expensive Cruze.
I'm finding it hard to believe the Astra and Cruze aren't the same car with Opel versus Chev faces and differentiated by body style: hatchback/wagon/hardtop convertible models for Astra versus sedan for Cruze (though I think the convertible may be marketed as a Cruze in the States to replace the Cobalt coupe). What else would make any sense when the cars are essentially the same size but to make them twins? When many of the components are identical just saying the Opel is more up-market does not mean it is (though admittedly they'll likely be built in different plants in Europe to access cheaper labor for the Chev), much of that is just brand perception perhaps backed up with a higher standard of equipment (remember the Opel Omega based Cadillac Catera). Similarly assuming Holden continue their two pronged Viva/Astra arrangement, with the Opel sourced ones being perceived as classier than the Cruze based Viva - although they may rename it to Cruze - it will parallel the Opel & Chevrolet models in Europe though only under one brand. Then again they may just call them all Astras because that name is better thought of here in OZ, and source a range of bodystyles from whichever factory they can (Thailand, Korea).

I like this car, hopefully along with being built here it is exported for profit and it sells well here. Please GM don't delay this the current one is obviously not selling. If there is a sedan that should help, but it cant look like the Cruze. And maybe the Pontiac will look a little different between the two as it should be distinctly american.
If they are essentially the same car there'd be no reason not to build them both on both sides of the Atlantic, the differences I can see in the prototypes being pretty minimal, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Pontiac to get anything more than a grille and badge job as per the current G5 over the Cobalt.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Nice. It looks like a stretched Corsa, which is not bad. If it will be marketed through Saturn, which is to be the Euro-style division of GM, then maybe an Astra sedan might be redundant, with the Cruze to be marketed as a "premium compact" and all. The hatchbacks will stand out, though.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Good, now build it in the US so that you can't pull it out of the NA market with some excuse about the Euro being too expensive.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Re: 2010 Astra interior revealed

Very nice!!
But isn't that interior a modification of the Cruze interior??? :(
I would have hoped for something more unique, considering Opel is supposed to be a step ABOVE Chevy in Europe???!!

Looking at the potential options on Astra as noted in the article, one also has to wonder why these advanced doohickeys aren't in Cadillacs -- at any price level?

·
Registered
200 Posts
When the Astra is premium enough for the premium price, it will sell. It just isn't good enough. The makings of a great car are there, but in typical GM fashion, the execution is not.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts