GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
not bad
but wont outsell the camaro
You seem to be missing out on the fact that the Mustang has been around for 45 years and is widely considered the CAR of America. The Camaro is never going to match the legend and aura of the Mustang no matter what. This Mustang is going to kick some serious ass when the 400 HP 5.0 arrives and puts a beating on the Camaro and Challenger ( not that the current GT can't beat a Challenger R/T anyway).

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Did the Camaro ever outsell the Mustang?
It did a few times. When you include the fundamentally similar Firebird then it did even better. Sales trailed off though toward the end of the '90s and onward. Then of course there's no comparison after 2002. I believe about a million Mustangs have been sold to date since 2002.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Good timing on the Mustang. I'm sure the focus on the new Mustang will be the application of the new and more fuel effecient V6 and 6-Spd.
Well since the new 5.0 won't be ready right away, I imagine Ford has little alternative. However, the V6 forms the base of the Mustang so it would probably be more lucrative to Ford in the long run. If Ford can have the 3.5L or 3.7L Duratec V6 with 275 horsepower for around $20,000 then they'll have a winner.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It did a few times. When you include the fundamentally similar Firebird then it did even better. Sales trailed off though toward the end of the '90s and onward. Then of course there's no comparison after 2002. I believe about a million Mustangs have been sold to date since 2002.
But the Mustang had it's Cougar and Capri too.....I mean if counting the Firebird + Camaro is cool.

I'm sure the Camaro will have a big first year, and maybe the second. But I'll be surprised to see sales reach 100k after that.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It is looking really nice, it seems it will compete well in the looks dept. Too bad we have to wait a year for it to compete in performance overall (of course the gt500 will still be king). As for the Camaro never outselling the mustang, I don't think that is set in stone as much as everyone thinks. While I highly doubt this new Camaro will outsell the mustang (since it will most likely be priced higher), there is definately no rule that says it has to be this way. Just like the Camaro doesn't have to be faster than the mustang and in its first year it won't (gt500).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well, to assume the Camaro SS with an N/A 6.2L with 422hp will be the top model is stupid. You can bet that they'll revive the Z28 or maybe the IROC with something bigger. Maybe a tuned 7.0L LS7 for its final run before its phased out and replaced by the Gen V engines. And I bet you it will probably debut the Gen V engines. A High-revving, Direct Injected 6.5L V8 with near as makes no difference 500hp, would eat the pants off the GT500.

At this moment, the GT500 would probably be king, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro SS/RS gives it a good run for its money.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Well, to assume the Camaro SS with an N/A 6.2L with 422hp will be the top model is stupid. You can bet that they'll revive the Z28 or maybe the IROC with something bigger. Maybe a tuned 7.0L LS7 for its final run before its phased out and replaced by the Gen V engines. And I bet you it will probably debut the Gen V engines. A High-revving, Direct Injected 6.5L V8 with near as makes no difference 500hp, would eat the pants off the GT500.

At this moment, the GT500 would probably be king, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro SS/RS gives it a good run for its money.
Camaro SS weighs the same as the GT500, yet is down 100hp. Draw me a diagram as to how that's giving it a run for its money. Heck, draw me a diagram how a car with the same weight and horsepower (7.0 Camaro) would eat the pants off a car with an identical power/weight ratio.

My second point is that by time the Camaro Z28 hits the streets, the game will have changed. The GT500's current engine is on its way out, and a NEW one is coming. Twin-turbo 5.0L V8... boosting an engine that produces 400hp in naturally aspirated form. Given its aluminum construction, it will result in a major weight loss from the current GT500, and will without a doubt weigh less than the Camaro Z28. This engine can produce 550hp with a mild tune, and with a lighter weight, Chevy will have to do a lot better than a 7.0L engine.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Camaro SS weighs the same as the GT500, yet is down 100hp. Draw me a diagram as to how that's giving it a run for its money. Heck, draw me a diagram how a car with the same weight and horsepower (7.0 Camaro) would eat the pants off a car with an identical power/weight ratio.
Now now now, why should anyone let facts and reason with a good spirited car discussion. "Your favorite brand sucks!" "No, my favorite brand rules and yours sucks!" "No, my favorite brand rules!" etc.. etc..

My second point is that by time the Camaro Z28 hits the streets, the game will have changed. The GT500's current engine is on its way out, and a NEW one is coming. Twin-turbo 5.0L V8... boosting an engine that produces 400hp in naturally aspirated form. Given its aluminum construction, it will result in a major weight loss from the current GT500, and will without a doubt weigh less than the Camaro Z28. This engine can produce 550hp with a mild tune, and with a lighter weight, Chevy will have to do a lot better than a 7.0L engine.
I think he's reaching with what the Camaro will have and you're reaching with what the Mustang will have.

My thoughts:
1. For total sales volume, price matters a lot. If the Camaro and Charger can compete with the Mustang on V6/V8 price, the game is afoot. Otherwise? I bet Ford keeps the sales crown. The closest thing GM has to the Camaro V6 in production is the G8 V6, which starts at $27,000. I'm sure the base Camaro will be cheaper. But I'm betting the 2010 Mustang V6 will cost maybe $22,000 or $23,000, and I doubt the Camaro V6 will be that cheap.

2. The V8 engine in the regular Camaro is, as far as I know, set at a slightly detuned LS3. Other than that, the V8 output of a Camaro SS and the 2010 Mustang are unknown, and I'm not making any bets either way until official figures are released.

3. The top end performance wars could be fun. GM already has a 638 horsepower supercharged LS2 for the ZR1, I'm sure a detuned version could end up in the Camaro if they thought it would sell well. Ford's going Ecoboost with its V6s, I'm sure an Ecoboost V8 could make gobs of power.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts