GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Looks a little better than the current GT500, based on what's visible. Hopefully the engine gets an aluminum block this time around.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Looks a little better than the current GT500, based on what's visible. Hopefully the engine gets an aluminum block this time around.
Not sure the time-frame for the new GT500 engine. If I had to guess, if there is a GT500 for 2010, it will have the carry-over engine. However, the twin-turbo 5.0L V8 is coming. All-aluminum, thank goodness. Power is anyone's guess, and given the weight-savings with the aluminum engine block, it might even come in under 500hp with better performance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i don't know if ford is fooling customers by claiming that the new mustang is going to be different in looks by making it look smaller. after all these heavily camoe'd prototypes, and by seeing the shots of this convertible, I CANNOT SEE A DIFFERENCE IN THE OVERALL PROFILE, just looks like a minor nip and tuck jo.

mustang sales were already down, unless Ford comes with a modern DOHC 24V V6, ditches pushrods, brings in ecoboost and a high output V8, only then it will survive the likes of camaro and challenger.Otherwise, look for camaro to becme the bestseller due to its combination of futuristic looks and technology all wrapped up in an affordable package.Mustang is doomed.

Ford, are you listening? we will only DRIVE ONE if you get rid of the solid live axle and bring up something contemporary in line with the european tuned suspension o the camaro.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I see KGP has used there trademark mist background once again. I never quite understood why they go through the trouble (the GT500 does appear to be on a public road). Anyway as for the tester it looks good and I like the front end styling as well. However I hope Ford has figured out by now that a solid rear axle won't cut it and has taken steps to fix that flaw

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
i don't know if ford is fooling customers by claiming that the new mustang is going to be different in looks by making it look smaller. after all these heavily camoe'd prototypes, and by seeing the shots of this convertible, I CANNOT SEE A DIFFERENCE IN THE OVERALL PROFILE, just looks like a minor nip and tuck jo.

mustang sales were already down, unless Ford comes with a modern DOHC 24V V6, ditches pushrods, brings in ecoboost and a high output V8, only then it will survive the likes of camaro and challenger.Otherwise, look for camaro to becme the bestseller due to its combination of futuristic looks and technology all wrapped up in an affordable package.Mustang is doomed.

Ford, are you listening? we will only DRIVE ONE if you get rid of the solid live axle and bring up something contemporary in line with the european tuned suspension o the camaro.
The 2010 Mustang will not share a single interior or exterior panel with the 2009. The camo does a good job of hiding the differences.

3.7L DOHC all-aluminim V6 backed with 6-speeds and packing 270hp will be the base engine.

At least two Ecoboost engines are coming. 3.5L (425hp) and 5.0L (475hp+).

5.0L DOHC V8 is coming (400+hp).

Solid axle stays, but gets canned for MY2013 when the all-new car hits the streets.

Camaro will never sell more than half of what the Mustang does in a given year.

The Mustang will also never be sold in India ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts

The bolded is a very comical statement considering that Ford hasn't used a pushrod engine in the mustang since the 5.0, yet GM IS using one in the camaro (ls3).

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts

The bolded is a very comical statement considering that Ford hasn't used a pushrod engine in the mustang since the 5.0, yet GM IS using one in the camaro (ls3).
You're almost right, Klay. The 5.0 was the last pushrod V8 used in the Mustang. The last pushrod engine of any kind used was the 3.8L Essex V6, which was last used in the 2004 Mustang. The SOHC 4.0L Cologne V6 replaced it for 2005 when the Mustang was redesigned. In fact, the 2008 model year marks the last model year Ford will be using gasoline OHV engines in any vehicle application. The last two pushrod engines used were the 4.2L Essex V6 of the F-150 and the 3.0L Vulcan V6 of the Ranger. Neither engine will appear in their 2009 counterparts.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Not sure the time-frame for the new GT500 engine. If I had to guess, if there is a GT500 for 2010, it will have the carry-over engine. However, the twin-turbo 5.0L V8 is coming. All-aluminum, thank goodness. Power is anyone's guess, and given the weight-savings with the aluminum engine block, it might even come in under 500hp with better performance.
Single biggest oversight in the GT500. The use of an iron block instead of an aluminum one is ultimately responsible for more of the car's performance criticisms than the SRA. If the new 5.0L block weighs about what the current 4.6L block does, it'll be under 100lbs. This is much better than the 210lb 5.4L iron block.

3.7L DOHC all-aluminim V6 backed with 6-speeds and packing 270hp will be the base engine.
I look forward to this more than any new V8 because it's an area where the Mustang can really take the Camaro to task right off the bat. It'll be interesting to see how the new 5.0L V8 does when it finally comes out, but I think the new V6 is vastly more important as it will establish a higher-quality, better-performing base Mustang that is also more fuel efficient. In fact, there may be something of a late '90s, early 2000s repeat in that Chevy will have an edge in the V8 department but only be about even in the V6 department. By the late '90s both the Mustang's 3.8L V6 and the Camaro/Firebird's 3.8L V6 had fairly similar output, but the Mustang was lighter. With 270 horsepower and a much lighter weight, the 2010 Mustang stands to give the new Camaro V6 a run for its money in the performance department, especially since the Camaro is going to come in with a premium price.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
...mustang sales were already down, unless Ford comes with a modern DOHC 24V V6, ditches pushrods, brings in ecoboost and a high output V8, only then it will survive the likes of camaro and challenger.Otherwise, look for camaro to becme the bestseller due to its combination of futuristic looks and technology all wrapped up in an affordable package.Mustang is doomed.

:fall: Ford ditched pushrods years ago, the problem is that their OHC V8's are no better than GM's and Chrysler's pushrods V8's, either on engine mass or fuel economy. Apparently you couldn't tell the difference either. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts