• Home Run

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • *Segment Leader*

Votes: 4 12.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Kind of an early poll considering the car hasn't been fully revealed yet, no? However, based on what has seen so far I think the car will do well. It has the potential to be a home run but I doubt the Camry or Accord are going anywhere.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
it all depends on one thing (well it depends on about 1 million things, but one ofthem will be quite telling) - the mileage rating of the I4-Auto driveline. right now, Fusion is at 29mpg - which was OK 3 years ago, but Malibu, Sonata and the whole bunch are at 32-33 - quite a leap for a car...

so Fusion ABSOLUTELY HAS TO meet those numbers ... if it falls significantly short of the competition there - everything else is fluff.

Igor

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I agree with Igor, and I have no doubt the new I4 will hit 31-32MPG, if not better. Ford historically has sacrificed some economy to maintain performance characteristics that meet customer expectations.

The 2010 Fusion is a brilliant product, especially for an MCE. The car offers everything and anything.

All those gripping about the Mondeo not being here would never get all of this content, particularly at a reasonable price.

D25,30,35
Hybrid
Flex Fuel
6-spd Auto/Select Shift and Manual
Sync
12" Nav
AWD!!! The ONLY one btw!
Easy Fuel
Back-up Camera (only Mazda 6 has equivalent)
Reverse Sensing/Cross Traffic Monitoring/BLISS (Mazda 6, yep)

No vehicle has this same mix of features in this segment. Combine with class leading quality, outranking even Toyota while undercutting all on price. It will be the class leader by many measures, but the autorags aren't likely to agree since they don't actually buy their cars.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Well, seeing as the 2.5L/6-speed auto gets 21/30 in the new Mazda 6...I would expect similar numbers for the new Fusion.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, seeing as the 2.5L/6-speed auto gets 21/30 in the new Mazda 6...I would expect similar numbers for the new Fusion.
The Mazda 6 has the 2.5L (not sure if the tuning will be the same), but it still has the 5 speed auto like the 09 Fusion. The 2010 will get the 6 speed so it should do better. The 09 Escape already has the powertrain combo that I expect the Fusion will have.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
The Mazda 6 has the 2.5L (not sure if the tuning will be the same), but it still has the 5 speed auto like the 09 Fusion. The 2010 will get the 6 speed so it should do better. The 09 Escape already has the powertrain combo that I expect the Fusion will have.
correct - the Mazda and Ford combos often differ.

I expect at least 31, but Ford needs - NEEDS - to squeze out at least 32 -even if it means making the Auto upshift to 6th at the expense of drivability (see Flex) - reviewers pick up on this, but not nearly as much as on low mileage ... and with select shift - people will have the option to control it if need be.

Igor

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
the hybrid will be breathing down the neck of the gen2 prius .. that will be best in class ... you need to learn how to read Ford PR ;)

the i4 might be best in class, but I would not bet on it.

Igor
well they said that or tied...and if ur tied I thought you still could say best in class

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
possibly - unless there is something preventing them from it.

Igor
I ask because at the auto show in my city, a guy told me that they were updating the escape at the washington show a week later and that it would come with flex fuel but show comes around and no flex fuel but maybe next year hopefully.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.