GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 Equinox Gets Power Boost, Better Fuel Economy
GMI learns for SLIGHT changes in Equinox specifications, 0-60 times.
www.gminsidenews.com
March 16, 2009
By: Nsap

Back in January General Motors revealed the all-new 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. Not only is the new Equinox based on a revised version of GM’s Theta crossover architecture, but two all-new engines are rounding out the Equinox lineup for 2010. At the announcement in January, GM denoted that the specifications on the Equinox’s two new engines were estimated figures, but nonetheless the figures were promising. GM claimed the coveted 30 miles-per-gallon rating on front-wheel drive models equipped with the direct-injected ECOTEC 2.4L VVT four-cylinder; a barrier that has not been crossed in the segment the Equinox competes with. In addition, they stated an estimated 255 HP out of the new direct-injected 3.0L High Feature V6. Fast forward to this month and as the launch of the new ‘Nox continues to progress, GMI has learned that the specifications regarding the 2010 Equinox’s engines have been slightly revised. The good news is that all of the revisions appear to be in the “for the better” category; namely with the power output of the 3.0L V6. Below is a list of the specifications that have changed (and appear to be final numbers), as well as the preliminary figures.

Specifications

Direct-Injected ECOTEC 2.4L:

• 182 HP @ 6700 rpm (unchanged)
• 174 lb.-ft. torque @ 4800 rpm (up from 172 lb.-ft.)
• 21/30 MPG on FWD models (unchanged)
• 20/27 MPG on AWD models (unchanged)
• Projected 0-60 mph: 9.5 seconds (new information!)

Direct-Injected 3.0L High-Feature V6:

• 264 HP @ 6950 rpm (up from 255 HP)
• 222 lb.-ft. @ 5100 rpm (up from 214 lb.-ft.)
• 19/25 MPG on FWD models (up from 18/25 MPG)
• 18/24 MPG on AWD models (up from 17/24 MPG)
• Projected 0-60 mph: 7.8 seconds (new information!)

The most notable changes are obviously to the new V6. Note that the horsepower number has increased by 9 horsepower and city fuel economy has been boosted by one MPG for all V6 models. In addition, GMI has learned the projected 0-60 times, which are listed above. The 2.4L 0-60 appears to be in line with competition such as the Honda CR-V, which generally runs 9.5-10 seconds in the 0-60 runs. The V6 appears to be slightly behind competition such as the Toyota RAV4 V6, which achieves 60 MPH in about 6.3 seconds.

Production for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox begins in May. The Equinox’s cousin, 2010 GMC Terrain, will be revealed next month at the 2009 New York International Auto Show. Terrain production is currently slated to start in August of this year. GMInsidenews will have all of the coverage from New York starting on April 8th!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Re: 2010 Equinox Gets Power Boost, Better Fuel Economy?

This is so refreshing to actually see a thread about NEW PRODUCT being discussed. I was starting to give up on this website forum, because it seems that all that's been on here is about GM's finacial troubles. Hopefully that has died out, and we can get back to discussing new product again

·
Registered
11 Posts

I highly doubt that the financial news is behind us but I agree 100% that is refreshing to be talking about new product again. This Equinox will sell for more than just the 30mpg too, I think this vehicle is a huge step forward in its styling, inside and out.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is so refreshing to actually see a thread about NEW PRODUCT being discussed. I was starting to give up on this website forum, because it seems that all that's been on here is about GM's finacial troubles. Hopefully that has died out, and we can get back to discussing new product again
I search high and low DAILY for product news to report on here at GMI. There has just been a vast shortage of it period...

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

I search high and low DAILY for product news to report on here at GMI. There has just been a vast shortage of it period...
If he was going to give up on this site where was he going to go for new GM Product news, when there just isn't any? :think: (I have to defend nsap on this one, eventhough he drives a Ford :rolleyes: Buy the G8 already!)

Anyway, the new 'Nox looks great. This is what the VUE should have looked like (mostly in the rear, I mean. The VUE lost its good boxiness, and the 'Nox seems to have some fairly squared off lines). With Saturn probably going the way of the Dodo, and my mom not liking the new VUE, she might have to replace her VUE with an Equinox.

·
Banned
423 Posts

That's a sure-fire way to screw up the launch. :(
I agree if anything 4 cylinder should be out first. GM needs to be perfect now if they want customers to come back. Smallest thing can scare people away from gm. 30mpg that is very impressive. I am sure it will sell well and it could even be best selling cuv. Why couldnt gm do a good job like this 5 years ago. They sure would not be in problems now. This company has so much potential. When you see 30mpg cuv that tells you everything. They just have to find a way how to use that potential.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Great time to pick up a 2009 Equinox.

Personally, I love the new one though. Chevy will have a very strong 1-2 punch on the crossovers with Equinox and Traverse. Now if they could only get leasing rolling again!

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
I'm going to be honest, if this vehicle is well built I believe it'll move. There won't be any reason for people to be purchasing minivans if you have a 30MPG highway rating.

I'm really more interested in the powertrains to be honest but the vehicle is nice too.

I wish they would through an HO version of this V6 motor in a light RWD vehicle.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Is this vehicle only for NA or are there plans for it to be made for other markets to??

Holden could use a Rav4 sized car, its nice looking but i dont like the headlights myself.

The 1.5sec gap between V6 0-60 times is alot, the Rav4 uses a 3.5 V6 right??

·
Banned
423 Posts

It is hard to have new product discussed when every new product is delayed.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.