1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This article is based on what R&T said, which seems completely outdated and out of whack with what has been said by Lutz and other people in the know at GM and Camaro5.com. I'm not sure if what they say about the 3.5L V6 is true. How is this a better option and a more fuel efficient engine than the 3.6L DI or the 2.0L turbo hooked up to a 6 speed transmission? Or is this a cost cutting measure? What are they gonna do, stick a 3.5L with a 4 speed auto in there and sell it for $20K? I think GM would be better off putting an advanced 4 cyl Ecotec engine in the base model.

I also read recently that the base 2010 Mustang will soldier on with the 4.0L V6. If true, that is one bad decision. Advantage: Camaro.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed; those trim levels may be correct; however, I believe that only one v6 engine in the form of the 3.6DI V6 will be offered in the LS & LT models, reserving the 6.0Lv8 or 6.2Lv8 for the Z28 followed by the 6.2L supercharged or higher rated HP model for the SS. SS has always been the topline model trim for any Chevy.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
:tired::tired:

Yawn. Outside of a few diehard Camaro fans (BigAl, I'm looking your way), who among the general auto fans isn't tired of this car already?

·
Registered
3,994 Posts

Yawn. Outside of a few diehard Camaro fans (BigAl, I'm looking your way), who among the general auto fans isn't tired of this car already?
I was thinking the very same thing. More 'news' about Camaro variants when the main vehicle is still not on the road.

The Camaro would have been nice as a 2003 model, but at this point, I'm wishing that those resources would have been put into cars like the Chevy microcar concept triplets, which GM could really use today.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts

Being on a GM website, it's hard for that not to happen. :)

I'd say most potential buyers aren't "auto fans" so they probably don't keep up with obscure automotive news like this. The only reason I keep up with it is because I haven't got tired of it yet (i.e. I still want one).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I was thinking the very same thing. More 'news' about Camaro variants when the main vehicle is still not on the road.

The Camaro would have been nice as a 2003 model, but at this point, I'm wishing that those resources would have been put into cars like the Chevy microcar concept triplets, which GM could really use today.
I agree that 2 years of talking about this car and no launch til early 2009. However, it is a great "hype" car. It brings a lot of excitement and makes people talk about GM. At the autoshow you can overhear most people that walk into the Chevy display say "where's the Camaro", or "ooh, there it is". GM's improvements are continuing to be made, let's hope that they are done right.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I'm still not tired of hearing about this car, either. But we must be nearing the "drop dead " date for changes.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
This article is based on what R&T said, which seems completely outdated and out of whack with what has been said by Lutz and other people in the know at GM and Camaro5.com. I'm not sure if what they say about the 3.5L V6 is true. How is this a better option and a more fuel efficient engine than the 3.6L DI or the 2.0L turbo hooked up to a 6 speed transmission? Or is this a cost cutting measure? What are they gonna do, stick a 3.5L with a 4 speed auto in there and sell it for $20K? I think GM would be better off putting an advanced 4 cyl Ecotec engine in the base model.

I also read recently that the base 2010 Mustang will soldier on with the 4.0L V6. If true, that is one bad decision. Advantage: Camaro.

about the mustang sticking with the 4.0 after reading in other chats remember that this came from the mouth of a guy that asked one of the guys that was testing a camoed prototype around and I bet that the car could even had the 5.0 under the hood but the guy will not tell you that so we will have to wait until the mustang launch

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Lets hope not, but maybe the 3.5L is being used for the fleet models like in the Malibu.

Seriously, I hope the 2.0L DI turbo is the base motor, not the 3.5L.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
2010MY Mustang engines are carryover...2011MY engines wont be. The base 2011MY Mustang will be powered by a 3.5L Duratec V6.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
2010MY Mustang engines are carryover...2011MY engines wont be. The base 2011MY Mustang will be powered by a 3.5L Duratec V6.
Why would they use carryover engines? The 3.5L is available. More power, smoother engine. I had a 4.0L Mustang convertible for a week and later drove an Edge with 3.5L. Go with the 3.5 Ford.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Thanks Buick.

There will be no 3.5 and the Z28 has always been (except for the last 5 years) the top dog Camaro.
Nothing has changed.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
Why would they use carryover engines? The 3.5L is available. More power, smoother engine. I had a 4.0L Mustang convertible for a week and later drove an Edge with 3.5L. Go with the 3.5 Ford.
Could be a lot of reasons. The rwd version of the 3.5L may not yet be ready for production. Or they may just prefer not to launch a new/revised car with a new engine, a strategy which seems to be growing into something of a theme for FoMoCo.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I do get tired of hearing the same mis-information thrown about by magazines that are supposed to actually be about cars. However, I'm actually more tired of hearing about how tired some people are of this car than I am of the car itself. You can't find a Camaro thread on a general auto sight that doesn't have someone who just HAS to share how tired they are of the car. Just a little tip for ya', if you're really tired of hearing about the car, stop reading the threads about it (most of them have Camaro in the title, so it's easy to skip right past them).

·
Registered
213 Posts

I'm not, I've only owned one Camaro for about a year so I wouldn't consider myself a fan. But I don't think I'll ever get tired of this car.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I do get tired of hearing the same mis-information thrown about by magazines that are supposed to actually be about cars. However, I'm actually more tired of hearing about how tired some people are of this car than I am of the car itself. You can't find a Camaro thread on a general auto sight that doesn't have someone who just HAS to share how tired they are of the car. Just a little tip for ya', if you're really tired of hearing about the car, stop reading the threads about it (most of them have Camaro in the title, so it's easy to skip right past them).
Car & Driver magazine says the Camaro will come in three trims........LS, LT, SS........no RS or RS/SS or Z28.........Interesting!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Car & Driver magazine says the Camaro will come in three trims........LS, LT, SS........no RS or RS/SS or Z28.........Interesting!
i heard the same!!!! no RS & Z28!!! :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think the reason they are offering the 3.5 V6 is because it is already flex-fuel capable and it would fit in with today's strategy of offering more vehicles than any other auto maker and the fact that people will buy them for a readily available price into the market!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts