1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
It costs an ungodly amount of money in Europe for a car built in the dollar zone, but it sure looks great and is probably one of the most competent compact estates in the market.

However, the one in the photos doesn't look quite as nice as the European ones. I guess black doesn't become it really, and the wheels are rather tacky... Here's a European Golf Variant (I'd much rather drive a Golf Variant than a Jetta SportWagen, but that's just me and my perception of VW).

·
Registered
393 Posts
It costs an ungodly amount of money in Europe for a car built in the dollar zone, but it sure looks great and is probably one of the most competent compact estates in the market.

However, the one in the photos doesn't look quite as nice as the European ones. I guess black doesn't become it really, and the wheels are rather tacky... Here's a European Golf Variant (I'd much rather drive a Golf Variant than a Jetta SportWagen, but that's just me and my perception of VW).

I believe it is built in Mexico
Also what is the difference between the Variant and Sportwagon besides the name ?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
A bit on the plain side but I like it. Too bad GM doesn't offer anything comparable. I'd love to dump my SUV and get a wagon for the fuel savings alone.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I believe it is built in Mexico
Also what is the difference between the Variant and Sportwagon besides the name ?
Nothing, FWIK, I was referring to the name. To me, Volkswagen's are so nicely dependable, driving a Volkswagen is the guilty pleasure of appearing dull and conformist, but indulging in the Mittelstand peace of mind reminding you of your childhood.

So, "Golf Variant" fits this image much better than "Jetta SportWagen" to me.

PS. Dependable doesn't mean reliable. I mean that you generally get a good car from Volkswagen.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
9-3 SportCombi?
Extremely overpriced ($40,000 for a base model here in Canada) and too small for a family. Though the '08 or '09 Subaru Outback/Legacy Wagon are on my list!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a big fan of the Saab 9-3 SportCombi ... except its very high asking price. I was stunned by the appearance of the 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen at last month's Denver Auto Show. The car looks GREAT in Laser Blue. I am looking forward to getting one this fall.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
9-3 SportCombi?
Interior in the Jetta looks better and might be higher quality
Rear seat legroom is greater
Diesel offering
2.0T with DSG is better powertrain than 2.0T hydramatic in Saab and faster with better fuel economy
Compare price of Jetta 2.0 DSG to 2.0T auto 9.3 and the Saab is much more expensive.

However, the SportCombi looks better on the outside.

Winner: Jetta. Its hardly a contest.

( I have an A4 with the 2.0T, its a fantastic engine )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.