GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Suburban has the 5.3L engine w/ 6 speed auto tranny and 122,000 miles. Fluid reads good level. It starts fine but upon putting it in any gear it will not go forward or back. After restarting it the vehicle may go into drive for 10 seconds and slip forward but then quits going forward again. If I step on pedal in drive/reverse the tach responds but no movement whatsoever. Tried 2 WD & 4 WD with same result. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did this trouble start while you were driving, or just out of the blue when you got in it to go somewhere? Does it have a check engine light on when the engine is running? One thing you could check is the shifter connection at the transmission. If that looks ok, I'd be calling a tow truck and a good mechanic.

·
Banned
867 Posts
The TEHCM is bad, after market has kits to rebuild these units. If you have a transmission shop with a good reputation take it there. In my shop the repair is one day and your back on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Towed the Suburban to Chevy dealer and they said it needs new tranny. A remanufactured (6 speed) with 3 year warranty is $4,300. This is based on 10 hrs labor and does not include new cooling tubes which would be an additional $500 plus. Would be nice if the TEHCM were all it neede but the dealer says it needs the whole shebang!
Is this possible based on what I described in the 1st post? YIKES!

·
Banned
867 Posts
These units are very reliable, not saying it isn't smoked but very rare occurrence. Usually shift issues and TEHCM failures is what we see in my shop and I've never charged that much coin. Even with an overhaul we would be under $3,000 with a year warranty. Shop around the dealer must have got your truck about 4:20.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Ya, definitely go shopping.

I had a trannie go out on an LHS a few years back. I shopped at least three stores. I may have a thread about it.

It turned out the Chrysler dealer looked like the best deal. A factory rebuild with a 3/100K warranty for somewhere in the $2,000 range IIRC. Which I may not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.