GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we (the American car-buying public) continue to shun SUVS, the next logical step down in size are the crossovers. Almost everyone that bought an SUV didn’t need a vehicle that large, and now the question is whether buyers now believe they need something the size of a crossover. I am testing a crossover right now, and believe me, it’s still a very large vehicle.
Combine the looks and the driving experience of the Pontiac Vibe and you have a blend that makes its personality strictly dullsville. However, there’s nothing wrong with being a solid citizen that eschews flash; and on the plus side, this car just oozes dependability, and a distinct lack of fussiness. With the AWD, it also provides a high measure of security in inclement weather conditions. Solid citizen, indeed.

Since it is August as I write this, there is no snow available to take the Vibe AWD through, but there are muddy unpaved roads in certain areas around where I live. The Vibe acquitted itself in these “soft-road” conditions and cleaned up pretty nice afterward as well. This kind of AWD vehicle is in its element in light snow or heavy rain on a paved road, and if you really need something to tackle real off-road conditions, then the Pontiac Vibe is not for you. That said, something like the Pontiac Vibe is perfect for most drivers who live where it snows; those who drive to work or on errands in bad weather some number of months out of every year.
More: http://www.autosavant.com/2008/08/21/2009-pontiac-vibe-awd-review/

·
Registered
586 Posts
Re: Autosavant: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD Review

Sorry, its a Corrola wagen, nothing else.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

The reviewer says the 4 speed is okay for in town, low speed driving but a 6 speed would be better for the open highway...um..no? With my logical thinking you have more shifting and accelerating going on in town..."open highway" would be with the cruise set at 70...engine doesn't care, long as it's overdrive. Is he one of those that thinks there's a double overdrive?

And 20/26 mpg for a 2.4L AWD Corolla wagon? Why, that rivals the Lambdas :lmao:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts

If I need room for more than two people I would definitely buy a Lambda over this. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The reviewer says the 4 speed is okay for in town, low speed driving but a 6 speed would be better for the open highway...um..no? With my logical thinking you have more shifting and accelerating going on in town..."open highway" would be with the cruise set at 70...engine doesn't care, long as it's overdrive. Is he one of those that thinks there's a double overdrive?

That's the same fuel economy that the 2009 Subaru Forester (non-turbo) I'm testing this week is rated at.

Do you know the ratios of the 4 speed automatic in the Vibe AWD? Hint: it doesn't even have an overdrive gear!

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/vehicle.jsp?xvxid=08_54

1st: 3.938
2nd: 2.194
3rd: 1.411
4th: 1.019

So with a fourth gear over 1:1, it's quite possible that the engine is really buzzing along on the highway (dependent upon axle ratio/final drive ratio). You should know this stuff, F14CRAZY. I believe that a six speed would also help in town with the possibility of a lower first gear, but they also help on the highway. Believe me, the guy who wrote this review isn't an idiot and knows his ****.

By the way, the Enclave doesn't have "double overdrive" but if 5th and 6th gears are both below 1:1, that would be true (5th in the Enclave is 1:1 and 6th is 0.74:1.)

The Corvette, by the way, is at 0.85 and 0.67 in 5th and 6th gears in the automatic.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

my bad, my bad. At least the Forester is sweet, and is quite a bit more vehicle than the Vibe.

I'll be back in a bit, gotta brush up on my toyota knowledge

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

No worries - I was tired and cranky last night. :) I just figured in light of your Reatta project, you'd know more about six-speeds, albeit manuals. :)

I really like the Forester I'm testing this week. It's amazingly spacious for its exterior dimensions; the car seats fit into the back seat better than anything but a Chrysler 300C or full-size pickup/SUV. My only gripe is that the doors sound a little tinny when you open and close them. Since I haven't driven a Vibe or Matrix, I can't comment on whether one is roomier inside than the other, but the Forester ain't a bad little car (CUV?).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Your right no one needs an SUV.

We should all drive motocycles because most people just go to work then everytime I need to take thngs someplace I just have another car.

People really need to f'n stop telling me what I need.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts

We should all drive motocycles because most people just go to work then everytime I need to take thngs someplace I just have another car.

Amen.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

This is what I don't get either. Now we blast cars for 4 speeds, when that was absolutely fine, until they came out with 6 speeds, and now these people think they can tell the difference, when in reality if it wasn't published info, they wouldn't have a damn clue what trans was used.

It's about proper gearing, not how many.

2010 C&D review

Highs: Quick steering, no fade brakes, huge trunk
Lows: cheap dash plastics, 6 speed slushbox, needs 8 gears
Verdict: Fun car inhibited by ancient transmission.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the current system, you burn more gas, you pay more tax on the gas...they are already punishing those of us who buy thirsty vehicles...they need to stop pushing further.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

This is what I don't get either. Now we blast cars for 4 speeds, when that was absolutely fine, until they came out with 6 speeds, and now these people think they can tell the difference, when in reality if it wasn't published info, they wouldn't have a damn clue what trans was used.

2010 C&D review

Classic!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I love the Vibe. I'd buy one again tomorrow. It's clearly not the vehicle for everyone, but as you say MN, if you take it for what it is it's excellent. It's not a V8 RWD sports car, it's not a 7-passenger SUV, it's not a typical all-American car. It's a right-sized wagon with a great mix of economy, utility, and personality.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Given how most of the time it is just me, or my wife & i, rare occasions we have 3 people, and some times we go crazy with 4 people... if i am in need of a vehicle with AWD (live in Colorado) and some extra carrying capacity because I need to carry oversize objects, but not large objects then a vehicle like this is more than suitable for my needs. NO need to get an SUV, let alone a CUV.

Most people don't really care if they have a 4,5 or 6 speed gearbox, they are only getting fed 4 is bad 6 is good from the media as a way for them to diffierentiate two products. Tell them they can have a rock solid 4 speed or a slightly quirky 6 speed and the 4 speed is a winner.

Have to laugh at the Corolla Wagon comments, just means the Matrix is a Pontiac Wagon. It is a joint venture, you buy the Vibe from a GM dealer not Toyota.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

2010 C&D review

I completely disagree. If you have a four speed and want to have a low enough first gear for fast acceleration off the line (particularly important when you're talking about a 140-170 horsepower four banger) and a tall enough fourth gear for loafing along on the highway, the gap between them would be too wide for just two gears (second and third) to fill.

The result is that with the four speed auto, the engine generally drops out of its powerband with each gear shift and takes a few seconds to work its way back into it.

In contrast, with a six speed auto, even in something as pedestrian as a Chrysler Town & Country, if you floor it and let the van wind itself out to near the redline, the tach only drops about 1000 RPMS with each shift, keeping the engine right in its peak power range.

I didn't write the review linked here, but I've driven tons of different cars with four, five, and six-speed automatics, and I can tell the difference between them blindfolded. If you think that you can't tell the difference, then maybe you're not the expert you think you are?:confused:

5,934 Posts
Almost everyone that bought an SUV didn’t need a vehicle that large,
WTH!!! I'm not a jounalism major, but even I know to watch painting in broad strokes. So I'll act as his editor here, it is more accurate to state "many who bought".

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the current system, you burn more gas, you pay more tax on the gas...they are already punishing those of us who buy thirsty vehicles...they need to stop pushing further.

Yes, yes.... and then there's the Gas-Guzzlers tax they post on the cars with thirstier characteristics... the consumer is already going to buy more on gas and if they can afford it... GREAT... but why put more then what is necessary?! Just don't tax it at all... stupid Gas-Guzzlers Tax.... buncha tree hugging fruit... nevermind... I'll be nice... :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

Yes, yes.... and then there's the Gas-Guzzlers tax they post on the cars with thirstier characteristics... the consumer is already going to buy more on gas and if they can afford it... GREAT... but why put more then what is necessary?! Just don't tax it at all... stupid Gas-Guzzlers Tax.... buncha tree hugging fruit... nevermind... I'll be nice... :)
and yet there are people who say there should be MORE taxes....

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I like everything about the Vibe except for the non-availability of a 5 or 6 speed standard
tranny in the AWD model. The Forestor non-turbo offers one and IMO is better looking and more spacious. It does cost 25% more but is worth it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts