·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Opel Astra Secrets Revealed

Jez Spinks
8 May 2008
www.drive.com.au

New Opel Astra is set for 2009 with sexier looks, sportier handling, and fuel-efficient engines.

Opel’s next-generation Astra will be armed with sportier styling and improved handling to take the fight to small-car leaders Toyota Corolla and Mazda3.

Our artist’s impression reveals how the European Astra is set to adopt new sheetmetal based on the new Opel Insignia mid-size sedan unveiled in April.

Drive’s spy photographers have caught disguised versions of the new Astra testing at Germany’s Nurburgring circuit, ahead of its expected 2009 debut at either the Geneva or Frankfurt motor shows.

The latest-generation Opel Astra will sit on General Motors’ new global Delta platform, which will also underpin other key future models under the GM umbrella such as the 2009 Saab 9-1 and 2010 Chevrolet Volt hybrid.

As a ‘world car’ throughout the GM empire, it will also be rebadged using the same sheetmetal for the likes of Holden (Australia/New Zealand), Vauxhall (Britain) and Saturn (North America).

Click here to continue article

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
JoeT - A most excellent find!

The pictures look great.
The talk about a turbo 1.4 encouraging.
Even the possibility of 4wd......

The Astra will continue to be front-wheel drive, though it’s possible a version of the new Haldex all-wheel-drive system developed by GM’s Swedish arm Saab could find its way under range-topping versions of the small car.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The chop doesn't look impressive, but nice find. Nice also to see that the new nodel will be out so soon. The current 5-door I find boring as hell. The coupe is nice, but the interior is plain.

Anyone know about the interior or have photos/ renderings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The chop doesn't look impressive, but nice find. Nice also to see that the new nodel will be out so soon. The current 5-door I find boring as hell. The coupe is nice, but the interior is plain.

Anyone know about the interior or have photos/ renderings?
The interior will probably look alot like the insignia cause Opel usually uses one dash design for most of it's cars

·
Registered
713 Posts
So it's coming down under?.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
So this is the 2010 Saturn Astra? Don't worry Slick, I'm sure Holden will get a version.

Short model cycle for Saturn, but I am glad they got their feet wet.

I think the current Astra will have more of a cult following like the first Saturns and the Saab hatchbacks. I know this is a chop, but it looks very A3 ish.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think it will be the 2009 Saturn Astra folks. I think we may have a winner here !!!!! The 2010 Cobalt will have similar underpinnings !!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I, for one, actually like that rendering. It's a bit of an improvement over the current Astra.
Stick a better engine in there with faster acceleration and I'm sold.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Looks like an egg. Kind of cute lookin' :eek: The rendering looks ok, but need to see an actual model to draw my final conclusion. So far so good. Can't wait to see the interior. Hopefully, if they say the car is going to borrow from the Insignia, the interior should be similar which I like.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can't wait! I hope they have a GTI competitor version here, maybe an Astra Redline?!? GM really needs one since they won't give one to Pontiac. I think I might be trading in my Aura for this!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Opel’s next-generation Astra will be armed with sportier styling and improved handling to take the fight to small-car leaders Toyota Corolla and Mazda3.

Aehm, sorry, but I call BS on parts of this Article. The OPEL Astra does mainly compete with the VW Golf and various entries from Frances Renault and maybe Skoda and other European Brands.
Mazda seems also to be much more prominently solds than Toyota. If those two are the buyers OPEL aims for, they missed the market big time.
Now talk about Saturn, different story (because of america's ongoing love-affair with imports)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

Looks like an egg. Kind of cute lookin' :eek: The rendering looks ok, but need to see an actual model to draw my final conclusion. So far so good. Can't wait to see the interior. Hopefully, if they say the car is going to borrow from the Insignia, the interior should be similar which I like.
I like what I see here. The silhouette is definitely sportier than the current Astra. I look forward to the new car. GM is on to something good.

I think the chop is a bit conservative compared to this disguised prototype.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

I would have thought they'd put the Insignia's door lines on it for some family ties at least. This looks better than the supposed Cobalt replacement, but not by alot. To me, in this class, the Mazda 3 is still the leader and there will be a new one next year also!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
While I like the current Astra, it seems to come up short in several comparisons due to its poor transmission, weak performance and so-so fuel economy. Assuming the new one improves on these shortcommings, this could be very big for Saturn.

With gas prices going up and people looking for smaller vehicles GM really needs to become a leader in smaller vehicles and this could be a great start. Maybe all those folks who bough hatchbacks in the 80's will rediscover them. From a utility standpoint they can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Few things look worse on a car than diagonal separation lines between the bumper covers and fenders. Yet GM just loves that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts