1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I would bet some money on it being either the Infiniti, BMW, or Toyota.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The Traverse winning would be a nice surprise, however I think they will award it to either the Subaru Forester, or the BMW X6.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Tough call.

a) Subaru Forrester
b) Honda Pilot
c) VW Tiguan

"a" having the best chance while gas is so high.

* BMW X6 -- Too much $$$
* Chevrolet Traverse -- Too been there done that by way of Enclave, Outlook, Acadia...but it's possible
* Dodge Journey -- Absolute poop, I rented one
* Ford Flex -- It's very nice, but it's just a Taurus X with box styling...but it has a shot
* Honda Pilot -- It's possible
* Kia Borrego -- Way too much SUV way too late for the economy/gas prices
* Infiniti EX -- Nice, it has a chance
* Infiniti FX -- Too much $$$
* Lexus LX570 --Too much $$$
* Nissan Murano -- Nice, but it didn't "blow me away" when I had one as a loaner
* Subaru Forester -- Small enough to make an impact, but is it big-market enough?
* Toyota Sequoia -- Nice, but the large SUV is crowded with "nice" SUV's
* Volkswagen Tiguan -- They might sport some VW wood on that day

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would be shocked if the BMW X6 didn't win
The X6 is the most pointless and hilarious looking vehicle I've ever seen. It looks like a 3 series that went to McDonald's for a month. It gained weight in none of the right places (like, hmm, rear passenger head room or hatch storage space?)

I can't think of anything it does better than a 3 or 5 series wagon would do, other than appealing to posers who want something that will definitely stand out (in a bad way).

And BTW, I guess out of that list, I'd probably take the Subie, the best proportions and sportiest of the bunch, while still being capable.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Either BMW X6 or Ford Flex.

I think the Flex will win.

But deep down I know the X6 has the award nailed.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
The Flex, Forester, Murano and Tiguan are all deserving, but they'll probably give it to the utterly pointless X6.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I finally snapped a new Flex on the Expressway the other day.

It looked sharp. Solid white (I hate that two-tone look). Much better-looking in the metal than I was anticipating.

How does the X6 qualify as a truck? It's a hatchback with a high hip line ...

And you clowns wonder why I wouldn't wipe my asse with M/T...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
How does the X6 qualify as a truck? It's a hatchback with a high hip line ...
I'm not sure why you're singling out the Beemer, but there's only 3 of 13 that qualify as trucks (body-on-frame, V8 etc).

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'd guess Forester or Flex.

BMW X6: It lost to the Infiniti FX in their comparison. "Bottom line? Fashionistas and BMW fans will flock to the X6's traffic-stopping style and familiar features without even glancing at an Infiniti dealership. Those who can look past the FX's exotic curves will find an equally pretentious but far more liveable ride. The FX35 has many of the X6's strengths, none of its weaknesses, and a few great advantages of its own-for a lot less money." I don't think it has any chance.

Chevrolet Traverse: what's new or important about it? It's important to Chevrolet dealerships, and certainly a strong product, but SUV of the year?

Dodge Journey: not good enough. No chance.

Ford Flex: highly overrated, but it seems like something they would like. Strong possibility.

Honda Pilot: it's possible, but it isn't a very interesting choice. I'd bet against it.

Kia Borrego: it seems like the type that they would say they were surprised to have on their short list, but not the winner. Even though it gets the gas mileage of a crossover (with the V6), I doubt they'll see those numbers. Their summary will be something like "great truck, but no one wants such a gas guzzler." It's a possibility, though.

Infiniti EX: way too small. I don't think it has a chance.

Infiniti FX: they really liked it, but I don't think an evolutionary redesign would win.

Lexus LX570: way too expensive, not all that great.

Nissan Murano: a strong, sporty product, but like the FX, too evolutionary.

Subaru Forester: strong possibility. It's the right size for the present market, and it won their comparison test.

Toyota Sequoia: a strong jumbo ute, but I can't see a jumbo ute winning.

Volkswagen Tiguan: it came in last in their comparison test for being boring to drive and overpriced. I don't think it has a chance.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The flex is a good wild card but I'm betting either the forester or Traverse will win

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Flex...probably not. Id say that the Forester has it locked up.
Traverse is very possible if you think about all the stuff it has and the price point it will come with.
You have near 300hp, you have a spacious interior, stylish exterior, better fuel economy, tons of options for what the family needs. IMO...its a big win.
I would be surprised if Traverse won. Not shocked cause its a very solid people mover, but its MT...

Flex is gunna be a jack of all trades, master of nothing. Its too waggony, its not SUV like withthe Traverse and Forester.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
"Traverse is very possible if you think about all the stuff it has and the price point it will come with.
You have near 300hp, you have a spacious interior, stylish exterior, better fuel economy, tons of options for what the family needs. IMO...its a big win."

You've got all those things, yes, but you had pretty much the same thing already, and it didn't win then. I don't think anyone would be more inclined to pick a retrimmed version of any existing design as the best all-new 2009 SUV. Even if it is the best, the various COTY awards are about more than that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts